PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Local Audio via Sqeezebox?

alg42
2008-11-04, 18:38
Hello,

Is it possible to use a local audio source and stream it over my local network to be played back over SB?

My reason for asking is that I have direct reception Sirius Radio in one stereo system and would like to stream that through the rest of the house using my SB receivers.

My internet connection is not solid enough to get Sirius through SC.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Alan

squeeze_box
2008-11-04, 20:07
mate, theoretically you can.
the concept
source-->stream_server-->squeezecenter-->squeezebox

the physical
source = your stereo, hook it up to a computer as line in
stream_server = the computer mentioned above, with http://www.nch.com.au/streaming/index.html this software installed to broadcast to your LAN
squeezecenter = need to setup favorite to your local boradcasting address, which will be given once u install and run the nch streaming server above
squeezebox = choose your squeezecenter as player and pick the favorite that is just setup...

haven't tried this myself with squeezebox but i know with other products such as soundbridge, this works and with soundbridge there's no need to go through squeezecenter...

upstatemike
2008-11-04, 20:16
Of course using a regular PC this way is kind of overkill, especially if you are going to leave the Sirius tuner running so the stream is always available.

I wonder if this would be a good application for a low power PC such as an Eee Box?

I think some folks have also had success using a Barix InStreamer for local streaming of this sort.

squeeze_box
2008-11-04, 20:27
wow, a dedicated mp3 encoda!

how much is it though?

just checked $395...
if it can do real time streaming e.g. no delay then it might be worth it, but a 2nd hand laptop probably does the same job...

bpa
2008-11-05, 00:51
Plug the source into your PC Line-In port and then use WaveInput plugin configured to use "line-in" as the source rather than the usual PC speaker could also work.

squeeze_box
2008-11-05, 05:21
Plug the source into your PC Line-In port and then use WaveInput plugin configured to use "line-in" as the source rather than the usual PC speaker could also work.

mate, i love that feature in xp, but in vista i just couldn't find it anymore... any idea where in vista u pick waveinput?

bpa
2008-11-05, 06:12
Did you follow the instruction in the Wiki especially 7a.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin#Stage_3_Configure_Windows_Vista

squeeze_box
2008-11-05, 16:30
Did you follow the instruction in the Wiki especially 7a.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin#Stage_3_Configure_Windows_Vista

champion... that solved one issue for playing games, albeit with a bit of delay, but this is a squeezecenter solution,

now all i need is to find out how to do it in vista natively so all other apps can enjoy a waveinput, e.g. IM clients...

bpa
2008-11-05, 17:01
now all i need is to find out how to do it in vista natively so all other apps can enjoy a waveinput, e.g. IM clients...

It's not clear what you want to do but the WaveInput app wavin2cmd is not Squeezecenter specific and can be used to stream captured audio to a variety of destinations. An alternative would be to use vlc and get the captured audio from the DirectShow interfaces.

squeeze_box
2008-11-05, 19:06
It's not clear what you want to do but the WaveInput app wavin2cmd is not Squeezecenter specific and can be used to stream captured audio to a variety of destinations. An alternative would be to use vlc and get the captured audio from the DirectShow interfaces.

:D all i want to do is to be able to record say msn voice calls, or other computer originated calls, and also be able to play some music to msn buddies, having the input device as waveinput rather than mic...

bpa
2008-11-05, 19:18
Just use recorder but change the source of the audio to record from mic to "Stereo Mix". For a conversation you may have to setup a mix to get both mic and speaker recorded..