PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter Won't Start Sometimes

Thanaset
2008-11-03, 22:57
Hello

I've got this problem for as long as I have own the SB. Basically, the SC is set so that it starts itself up when my PC is switched on. On a bad day, it won't start and the icon on the system tray keeps flashing. I have to manually quit the application and re-start it again and can sometimes take a couple of attempts to successfully have it up and running.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thank you.

Thanaset

Gibbo
2008-11-04, 06:36
I have this same problem, just says squeezecentre starting and goes no further.

i'm running a version of 7.3 on an xp machine.

CharleyW
2008-11-04, 11:49
Count me in also - 7.2.1, XP Professional.

I searched the forum on Sunday and found something relating to deleting all the PDK* files and folders in Windows\TEMP - did that, worked then, but had the same start-up problem this morning.

DeVerm
2008-11-04, 13:07
Count me in also - 7.2.1, XP Professional.

I searched the forum on Sunday and found something relating to deleting all the PDK* files and folders in Windows\TEMP - did that, worked then, but had the same start-up problem this morning.

I had one two days ago, while starting the computer after a power failure. It seems that SC does some cleaning-up while shutting down which is needed for it to start-up reliable again. "Exit" and start again solved it. The times I had this before nothing but deleting cache and re-scanning helped.

cheers,
Nick.

simbo
2008-11-06, 12:55
On Windows, I've found running SC as a service reduced the likelihood of this happening.

bphilp
2008-11-10, 04:48
I've been trying to use my SB as an alarm clock in the bedroom... sometimes it wakes me up... sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't and I have a look at the PC downstairs the squeezecenter service didn't start.

I do reboot every night and squeeezecenter is configured as an XP service to auto start.

When I manually rerun Squeezecenter it comes up fine.

Here's my info..

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1 - 23373 @ Thu Oct 2 02:03:47 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
Platform Architecture: 586
Total Players Recognized: 3

Player Information
Name: Bedroom
Model: Squeezebox v3
Firmware: 113

macsband
2008-11-16, 11:56
I have SqueezeCenter (currently version 7.2.1) start as a service on my Windows XP Pro machine (currently SP3 & all updates), but, like others here, sometimes it doesn't start when the machine boots up. For me, this problem began after I updated to SqueezeCenter 7.0 (by uninstalling the old SqueezeCenter and installing 7.0 fresh, since it was such a significant change).

I've gone to the service Recovery tab on both the SqueezeMySQL and SqeezeCenter services and set failures to “Restart the Service.”

That improved the reliability of SqueezeCenter starting properly on boot up, but it still occasionally failed.

When SqueezeCenter failed to start, I noticed that the SqueezeMySQL service was hung.

As installed, neither the SqueezeCenter service nor the SqueezeMySQL service have any dependencies. They start whenever. I figured that some other startup program was occasionally interfering.

To solve the problem, I make the SqueezeCenter service dependent on the SqueezeMySQL service, and make SqueezeMySQL service dependent on the Messenger service. This way, SqueezeCenter starts after SqueezeMySQL starts, and SqueezeMySQL starts after most other start up services have started. Consequently, SqueezeMySQL and SqueezeCenter don't getting interrupted by some other startup program (e.g., by my anti-virus) and don't hang.

Here are the procedures:

• Run Regedit and go to HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\

• Click on squeezesvc. Right click and select NEW -> Multi-String Value. Name it DependOnService. Double click on the item and in the Value Data box SqueezeMySQL.

• Click on SqueezeMySQL. Right click and select NEW -> Multi-String Value. Name it DependOnService. Double click on the item and in the Value Data box, enter Messenger. (I make sure that the Messenger service is configured to start automatically.)

• Reboot.

Reference Microsoft KB 193888 "How to delay loading of specific services."

I chose the Messenger service because it is one of the last to start during normal bootup (per the KB article). If the computer were hooked directly to the internet (and not behind a router), I'd have to use a different service because a PC directly connected to the internet would risk Messenger spam (if that service were started automatically).

When I update SqueezeCenter to a new version, I have to re-enter the above registry entries.

Hope this helps some of you who posted here.

Mac

DeVerm
2008-11-16, 16:48
I have SqueezeCenter (currently version 7.2.1) start as a service on my Windows XP Pro machine (currently SP3 & all updates), but, like others here, sometimes it doesn't start when the machine boots up. For me, this problem began after I updated to SqueezeCenter 7.0 (by uninstalling the old SqueezeCenter and installing 7.0 fresh, since it was such a significant change).

I've gone to the service Recovery tab on both the SqueezeMySQL and SqeezeCenter services and set failures to “Restart the Service.”

That improved the reliability of SqueezeCenter starting properly on boot up, but it still occasionally failed.

When SqueezeCenter failed to start, I noticed that the SqueezeMySQL service was hung.

As installed, neither the SqueezeCenter service nor the SqueezeMySQL service have any dependencies. They start whenever. I figured that some other startup program was occasionally interfering.

To solve the problem, I make the SqueezeCenter service dependent on the SqueezeMySQL service, and make SqueezeMySQL service dependent on the Messenger service. This way, SqueezeCenter starts after SqueezeMySQL starts, and SqueezeMySQL starts after most other start up services have started. Consequently, SqueezeMySQL and SqueezeCenter don't getting interrupted by some other startup program (e.g., by my anti-virus) and don't hang.

Here are the procedures:

• Run Regedit and go to HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\

• Click on squeezesvc. Right click and select NEW -> Multi-String Value. Name it DependOnService. Double click on the item and in the Value Data box SqueezeMySQL.

• Click on SqueezeMySQL. Right click and select NEW -> Multi-String Value. Name it DependOnService. Double click on the item and in the Value Data box, enter Messenger. (I make sure that the Messenger service is configured to start automatically.)

• Reboot.

Reference Microsoft KB 193888 "How to delay loading of specific services."

I chose the Messenger service because it is one of the last to start during normal bootup (per the KB article). If the computer were hooked directly to the internet (and not behind a router), I'd have to use a different service because a PC directly connected to the internet would risk Messenger spam (if that service were started automatically).

When I update SqueezeCenter to a new version, I have to re-enter the above registry entries.

Hope this helps some of you who posted here.

Mac

Wow, a Windows guru! I was thinking the same way after I saw some MySQL processes were not responding. I would make these registry changes but I don't have Messenger... how can I select/find another candidate? Would it be possible that just the SC->MySQL dependency is enough to cure this? May be you want to report this to SD bug-tracker as enhancement for the installer.

thanks!
Nick.

macsband
2008-11-17, 17:16
I don't have Messenger... how can I select/find another candidate?
Per Microsoft Knowledge Base article 193888: If you have a service that needs to start late in the boot cycle but you do not have a specific service dependency, as explained above, then choose one of the services which startup last as the data value for the value "Depends on Service". Services commonly selected are [Print] Spooler and Messenger.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888

Mac

macsband
2008-11-17, 17:44
May be you want to report this to SD bug-tracker as enhancement for the installer. Submitted bug 10040.

Mac