PDA

View Full Version : Internet Archive or Slim Devices problem?

joeriz
2008-11-03, 15:33
There seems to be an issue somewhere between the Internet Archive (IA) and Slim Devices.

I listen to a lot of Grateful Dead on the IA and when on the IA website I can 'see' many more concerts available than what shows up when I connect via my Transporter or Squeezeboxes.

Does anyone know the cause of this and/or has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

Thanks,
Joe

jehma
2008-11-03, 17:57
There seems to be an issue somewhere between the Internet Archive (IA) and Slim Devices.

I listen to a lot of Grateful Dead on the IA and when on the IA website I can 'see' many more concerts available than what shows up when I connect via my Transporter or Squeezeboxes.

Does anyone know the cause of this and/or has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

Thanks,
Joe

I find the same thing with other artists. I want to hunt through the LMA plugin code when I get some free time and see if I can figure it out.

jehma
2008-11-04, 19:07
I see a couple of things. First of all, only the streamable shows show up in Squeezecenter, which is how it should be. That cuts a bunch of shows. However, if I search through SC for recent additions, there are a few recent ones, but then there's a large gap going back to March. Please see the attached image.

If you can find a missing streamable show that's not in the "gap", please speak up, but I couldn't find any. I hope one of the SC developers could take a look at the gap and see if it's some sort of indexing problem.

Actually, looking at the gap, a couple of those dates are bad since they're in the future. I think that's coming from LMA, not SC.

Thanks!

sage23
2009-01-25, 10:28
The LMA plugin only points to the OPML metadata files located at www.squeezenetwork.com. The OPML metadata files then point to the actual streams on LMA. To me, it doesn't look like the LMA plugin in squeezecenter actually browses LMA at www.archive.org at all!

The issue seems to be that the www.squeezenetwork.com folks are not updating the OPML files on a regular basis, so the plugins cannot tell that new shows have been added.

What makes it weird is that there is an RSS feed at LMA which contains the newest releases, which they have an OMPL file for (but probably still not updated all that frequently). There is one specific to the Grateful Dead as well. Its easy to create OPML files with RSS feeds.

In the example of the Grateful Dead, the "by year" OPML files have not been updated in some time on www.squeezenetwork.com. At this time, the Grateful Dead Year 1969 has 201 shows on LMA, and on squeezenetwork only 149.

To me, it looks like Squeezecenter and the plugins are working as designed. We need to get the www.squeezenetwork.com folks to update their OPML files on a more regualar basis for the LMA.

jehma
2009-01-25, 12:31
I entered this bug:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10063

some time ago, but it doesn't look like it's gotten any attention. :(

dancinhomr
2010-08-01, 10:21
I've contacted Logitech support about this and they suggested trying to rally support for:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10063

The developers prioritize the bugs they work based on customer impact (ie. Importance in bugzilla) so the more votes this bug gets the better the shot at getting a proper fix.

Ideally the fix will involve building the LMA content dynamically rather than having to hope for periodic (ie. infrequent) DB updates.