PDA

View Full Version : Switching Squeezecenter to new server?

djaws
2008-11-02, 13:55
I'm attempting to move my Squeezecenter to a new server (XP, raid disks, more CPU, etc.). I simply copied all of my music and installed a clean version of 7.2.1. Shutdown my old server, and fired up the new one and waited until it scanned all of the music. Now I've attempted to use the pull down on the top right corner of squeezecenter to "choose player". I choose my current player and get a pop-up screen, "do you want to switch this player to the current squeezecenter?". I select the "yes" button.

At this point, the Squeezebox (v3) player powers up, finds the network, then says, "starting squeezecenter" and powers back down. If I power back up, same cycle.

I've switched the player back to my old server/squeezecenter and it runs fine.

Do I need to start all over from scratch? Reset the squeezebox to default and try reconnecting? I'm at a loss. Thanks for the help!

pablolie
2008-11-02, 14:00
I'm attempting to move my Squeezecenter to a new server (XP, raid disks, more CPU, etc.). I simply copied all of my music and installed a clean version of 7.2.1. Shutdown my old server, and fired up the new one and waited until it scanned all of the music. Now I've attempted to use the pull down on the top right corner of squeezecenter to "choose player". I choose my current player and get a pop-up screen, "do you want to switch this player to the current squeezecenter?". I select the "yes" button.

At this point, the Squeezebox (v3) player powers up, finds the network, then says, "starting squeezecenter" and powers back down. If I power back up, same cycle.

I've switched the player back to my old server/squeezecenter and it runs fine.

Do I need to start all over from scratch? Reset the squeezebox to default and try reconnecting? I'm at a loss. Thanks for the help!

One possibility could be a firewall in the new setting, or soem other issue that prevents the new server from connecting 100% to your home network.

If that is not the case, it never hurts to start from scratch, it is an exercise I find myself going once or twice a year with the SB in my house (more often with the Duet, but hopefully that is settling down). It is a hassle to go for the entire configuration of the different SB with your preferences. I wish there was a clean way to save the setup data for all SB in the household, so that after a clean restart you have your old data again.

djaws
2008-11-02, 14:22
Thanks for the reply! I'll give that a try. Do you normally reset the player by holding down the add button while power cycling?

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-05, 13:20
I assume you've solved this as a couple of days have passed, but the new server has a different IP address, you have to point your SBs to it.

Press and hold left on the SB remote, then go back through Network Setup. Just skip through most entries using the ">>" button but stop when it lists servers. Set it to your new one.

I must admit I've never seen the "do you want to switch this player to the current squeezecenter" message, I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. It could be that this is what it's doing or it could be something else.

Zaragon
2008-11-05, 13:49
The switch back option was originally used with SqueezeCenter and SqueezeNetwork. If you have a local squeezebox that you had switch from your local server to the squeezenetwork say when you shut it down. Then previously you would have had to change it back using the squeezebox itself. That menu item now lets the SqueezeCenter tell the SqueezeNetwork that you would like your squeezebox back and it very nicely tells your squeezebox to make the change.

I believe that if you have multiple squeezecenters they can discover each other and can swap the squeezeboxes between them in the same way.