PDA

View Full Version : waiting for 127.0.0.1

Sybull
2008-11-02, 09:06
After yesterdays succes with been given the asnwer to my streaming dropping the signal every 90 seconds, I am now faced with another problem.

Was listening to MP3 this morning no problem. Went out. Came back and now it dosn't work. The the squeezeceter seems to have trouble finding 127.0.0.1. Sometimes it takes a minute or so to do anything, othertimes it will not display anything and just says Waiting for 127.0.0.1. I can ping 127.0.0.1 no problem

I have iuninstalled Squeezecenter totaly, re set it up, but still the same problem.

I cannot access it from any device (laptop, PSP). Is this connected to the squeezecenter network being down ? Or is it my Router (which I havn't touched) ?

Sybull
2008-11-02, 12:08
3 Hours later and still no joy. Only yesterday I was saying how much I was enjoying this after having had a quick and much appreciated answer. I appears I spoke to soon. I have seen others report this problem but there did not appear to be a solution (but that was back in 2007). Has anyone any idea how to get out of this ?

Thanks

Sybull
2008-11-02, 14:07
I have played with it and it appears as soon as I try and add any track to the playlist or anything which requires dealing with a player Squeezecenter crashes.
If I right-click on the icon in the system tray and click EXIT, the icon disappears from the system tray, but if I look in taskmanager, the squeezecenter.exe process is still running. If I run squeezecenter and do everything BUT add a track or play a track it behaves fine. Exiting the software removes it from the list of processes. But as soon as I click on the + sign or the play sign, thats it. I have tried sevral PC's as players (even trying VLC media player on the server).

It was so happy over the last few days. What have I done to upset it ????

Tejay
2008-11-03, 14:03
Hmmm, you must have done something wrong, please read on.
127.0.0.1 is the local host, a loopback IP-number. You can ping this, and you get an answer.

But it is mostly used as a waste bin. Everything you send to this address goes down the drain without any problem. That's why you don't see something happening anymore.

My IP-number for Squeezecenter is something like 192.168.1.###, one of the private IP-addresses.

So most likely you router is down. But how did you send these messages? If this is from your computer and the same router, it is not down.
If you working with WiFi are you not on your neighbours (WiFi-)router?

Zaragon
2008-11-03, 14:37
Every computer on an IP network has the IP address 127.0.0.1 which is most often known as the loopback address or localhost. The main purpose is to allow applications to talk to each other or to themselves. Most computers will respond a ping of 127.0.0.1 even if they are not plugged into a network as the 'loopback' is done within the IP stack.

Not being able to ping 127.0.0.1 essentially means a fairly serious problem with networking.

The actual IP address a computer uses in a home network is normally assigned by the router and is usually in the range 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x most often depending upon the manufacturer of the router. The range doesn't really matter.

Pinging the IP address of the computer issuing the ping is essentially the same as pinging 127.0.0.1 as again it is turned around internally within the IP Stack. Again if this isn't working then it means a fairly serious problem.

The real test would be to ping the address of a different computer or of the router itself.

Sometimes you do see addresses that are in the 169. range this is a self assigned address and usually indicates that the device was unable to get an IP address automatically and not having one configured picks one in that range which it believe isn't in use.

Diagnosing network problems can sometimes be difficult. Start simply, one thing that you would expect to work is a normal browser so from the server try to connect to say this forum. If this works then try connecting the browser to the SqueezeServer on the same server. You should be able to use both http://127.0.0.1:9000 or the servers proper IP address.

If the first works and the second doesn't then my first thoughts would be either a problem with SqueezeCentre or more likely a firewall configuration problem.

The trick with faulting is to take it one step at a time and keeping the tests as simple as possible.

Try the above and let us know what happens. You can also contact support who will also help you through diagnosing your problem.

Sybull
2008-11-03, 23:14
Thank you for your response.

I can connect to SC by typing in Http://127.0.0.1:9000 or Http://<SC_server_ipaddress>:9000 no problem. I Removed the router out of the equation and plugged the server directly into the Cable modem. The server IP address changed from 196.168.0.x to 82.34.243.x. Using both 127.0.0.1 and the new IP address both brought up SC.

I can then go about SC no problem.

SC become unresponsive if I try and connect a player. This is both a player my PSP, over the wireless network (This has worked fine before) or, with the server plugged directly into my cable modem, I use VLC media player (on the server) to pick up network stream http://127.0.0.1:9000/stream.mp3 (which has worked in the past).

Thanks again

Then I get the "waiting for 127.0.0.1.."

Tejay
2008-11-04, 00:51
It seems that DHCP in your cable modem or the router gives you an IP-address during the boot up time. That's why you have the 127.0.0.1 address.

What about taken of all your equipment from that cable modem, do a full reboot with that modem (turn power off, wait at least 10 seconds, turn it on). Wait a few minutes. Then plug in your equipment again.

DHCP now gives you the private IP-addresses in the range 192.168.###.###.

Hope this helps.

Sybull
2008-11-04, 06:20
I do make a habit of turning my router and PC off everyday and also at night. Normally, when I turn on the modem I leave it for a while before turning on my PC.

The Cable modem is a small black box with only one RJ45 socket. I am not sure if it has any sort of DHCP services in it.

Another thing I noticed is, before when everything was OK, I could click on a song to start it playing and I would see the artrwork etc appear with "playing <name of the song>". I could then go round to my PSP, connect it up to the network and the music would start. Now when I click on a song to start it playing, nothing comes up.

Tejay
2008-11-04, 14:26
OK, that's not it.

That nothings coming up is most likely the IP-address 127.0.0.1, everything send to that is going into the waste bin. A ping though returns information, though.

A PSP is a Playstation? Or is it personal sound processor? A pretty shaved person? I am good in those riddles, I worked for a firm with dozens of those... OK off track.

First! I translate words I see from Dutch into English, So you maybe see other words!
A try to see whether there is a DHCP working: You can open SqueezeCenter? Then at the bottom right there is an item named, probably, installation. Click on it.
Then go to the tab Status.
In the Music System Information there is: The IP-address of this music system is: ###.###.###.###:port number.

In your pc go to Start/Run... Type in the command: cmd
Do a Return.
Type in the window (MS DOS prompt): ipconfig /all
And do a Return.

If this is good, it will provide you with some information.
Amongst: Standard gateway. The first three numbers should be the same as you found in Squeezecenter.

Now google for "What's my IP-number", and the result should be quiet different than the IP-addresses you found above. If so: DHCP is working.

Then I got some questions:
You have a cable modem, and on that your PC. Right?
Where does the server fit in? How is your Squeezebox connected to the PC or Server. Is it wired, or wireless (WiFi)? Does the, eventually, server has its own IP-address?

I know, no solution. Just trying to pin point the problem.

Zaragon
2008-11-04, 15:08
Tejay, sorry but 127.0.0.1 isn't a wastebin it is a valid ethernet address and one often used when an application wants to talk to another process on the same computer. I don't think it does but an example would be the SqueezeCenter talking to MySQL on the same box. I believe in many implementations it is faster than using the boxes 'real' IP address.

Sybull I'm following what you have tried and it seems like the computer is at least communicating with your network. If you have another PC (any operating system) with a browser can you get to the SC using the browser on the second machine. This should work. You will need to use the DHCP assigned address not 127.0.0.1.

One thing that does concern me a little is that you mentioned that when you plugged directly into the broadband your IP address changed from 196.168.0.x to an 82. address. Did you mean 192.168.0.x which is what I might expect to see. A 196.168.0.x address is routable which means that it can go outside of your router and communicate directly on the internet this would cause difficulties in itself. If it is really 196 then I suggest that you check your router config and make it 192.

It is beginning to seem as though it is on internal SC process which is having a problem. Take a look at the logs these can be found in settings status tab. At the bottom you can access the log file and see if there is anything in there relevant.

One area that occurred to me is are you using a Linux/Unix type OS or Windows? Did you upgrade anything at the time when it failed including any OS updates. It would also be worth checking if the MySQL service/app is also running.

Sybull
2008-11-04, 23:33
Thanks guys for the info. Much appreciated. Some answers

When I plug my PC diorect into my Cable modem, I am guessing I am getting the IP address that my ISP has given me (i.e 82.34.73.xxx)This is also the number I get when I google "What IP...". It changes to a 192. address when I plug it into the router.

Zaragon, yes you are right, my router IP address is 192. not 196. My mistake.

My OS is Windows XP SP3. My SC settings are:

SqueezeCenter Status
Version: 7.3 - 23767 @ Sat Nov 1 03:26:21 PDT 2008
Hostname: watson
Server IP Address: 192.168.0.xxx
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 586
Perl Version: 5.8.8 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
Total Players Recognized: 0
Library Statistics
Total Tracks: 52
Total Albums: 4
Total Artists: 1
Total Genres: 2
Total Playing Time: 3:20:57

The only change I made before this happened was upgrade SC from 7.1 to 7.3 to fix a problem with my stream dropping out every 90 seconds (which it fixed). It worked fine after that for several hours, then the following monring. Then in the afteroon, it started to struggle, the stream was choppy (but I put that down to me trying to access a MP4a track and not a MP3 track. After a reboot of everything it didn't want to know.

Now the interesting thing is, whilst doing this e-mail, I clicked on Server setting/squeezecenter status to get my server details and it starts saying "Waiting for 127.0.0.1", then after a few minutes ithe webpage goes blank with just "404 Not Found: settings/server/progress.html". The URL is is looking for is
"http://127.0.0.1:9000/settings/server/progress.html?type=importer&player=&timestamp=200811051527".

If I change the URL back to "http://127.0.0.1:9000" the interface come back up.

It seems to be waiting for some sort of reply and not getting it.

Quick question. Does my Server have to have a fixed IP ? I know for the PSP to connect it does or I need to change the address everytime I connect (and when it was working I left the router on). But since this started I have been turning off the router during the day and subsequently the IP address has been changing.

Tejay
2008-11-05, 00:33
Zaragon says:
Tejay, sorry but 127.0.0.1 isn't a wastebin it is a valid ethernet address and one often used when an application wants to talk to another process on the same computer. I don't think it does but an example would be the SqueezeCenter talking to MySQL on the same box. I believe in many implementations it is faster than using the boxes 'real' IP address.

Hmm, as I said 127.0.0.1 does more, but I think more of it as a waste bin. See: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Sybull:
Your DHCP is working, hence the 192. address. I cannot help you with the SqueezeCenter. That's a blind space for me. It works for me (five months), and I am happy with it.
I did try to help you because I find it strange why your equipment was trying to get a connection with 127.0.0.1. Even with a port number behind it, like 127.0.0.1:9000.
But as Zaragon says, it is (misused?) used more than I could think of.
Hope it's working for you again real soon!

Sybull
2008-11-05, 02:52
I have uninstalled it. Re-installed it. I have re-installed on another partition (totally different drive) (same PC), and this still happens. So it must be something they both share. I thought it was the router, but I think I have ruled that out.

I have an ageing laptop at home. I might install SC on this and try that as a server.

Also I will look at the log and see if I can decipher that.

mherger
2008-11-05, 02:58
Could you please send us your server.log file? Just in case you're using McAfee: make it ignore *.my* files.

--

Michael

Sybull
2008-11-05, 15:07
I have reset the values and then un-installed both copies I installed on my PC. I then re-installed it (but to not to the default directory but one called sqcenter just in case).

Now when the startup wizard won't even come up. Just "waiting 127.0.0.1..."

My log says:

[08-11-05 21:55:32.6451] Slim::Schema::init (161) Warning: Creating new database - empty database or database from 6.3.x found
[08-11-05 21:56:11.3307] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::initPlugin (150) Can't connect to port 10002 - MusicIP disabled.
[08-11-05 21:56:12.1519] main::checkDataSource (907) Warning: Schema updated or no tracks in the database, initiating scan.
[08-11-05 21:56:21.5797] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (271) Error: Select task failed: Can't call method "model" on an undefined value at /<D:\PROGRA~1\SqCenter\server\SQUEEZ~1.EXE>Slim/Web/Settings/Server/Wizard.pm line 159.
[08-11-05 21:58:22.8510] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (271) Error: Select task failed: Can't call method "model" on an undefined value at /<D:\PROGRA~1\SqCenter\server\SQUEEZ~1.EXE>Slim/Web/Settings/Server/Wizard.pm line 159.
[08-11-05 22:00:12.2662] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (271) Error: Select task failed: Can't call method "model" on an undefined value at /<D:\PROGRA~1\SqCenter\server\SQUEEZ~1.EXE>Slim/Web/Settings/Server/Wizard.pm line 159.
[08-11-05 22:00:59.6588] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (271) Error: Select task failed: Can't call method "model" on an undefined value at /<D:\PROGRA~1\SqCenter\server\SQUEEZ~1.EXE>Slim/Web/Settings/Server/Wizard.pm line 159.

Does that help ?

Thanks for the time people are spending reading and thinking about this.

Zaragon
2008-11-05, 15:48
Tejay I see how you meant it. Sorry but sometime I get kind of sensitive to some concepts which can sometimes get out of hand and eventually mislead people. In the case you cite your are indeed using it as wastebin. Though that probably gives you 404 not found messages instead of the advert. The firewall/AVS systems that support it can do something similar but inject a blank page thus no errors and no long wait for the response that doesn't come.

Sybull on the fixed IP address. I can't recall if the squeezeboxes store the service IP address or the server name. Many routers will allow you to assign an IP address to your server when it requests it rather than giving it a random one. If your router doesn't do this you can simulate it in some routers by setting the lease time to a long period. When a PC starts up and asks for an address if the router thinks it still has a lease active it will give it back the same address.

Doing it that way is easier than defining a fixed IP address in the PC itself.

It is starting to look a little like you have having problems with the database. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with it to help further.

What firewall / antivirus are you using? has the Windows firewall turned itself on? Perhaps an antivirus/IPS update has caused the difficulty. It might be worth trying to turn them all off for a short period to see if it has any affect. To be safe it might be worth disconnecting the Internet unless your router has a built in and active firewall.

Tejay
2008-11-06, 00:27
Hi Sybull

just adding my five cents:
You are installing SqueezeCenter as administrator and not as guest or user (less rights)? If you don't have to log in, ignore this question.

And then: why don't you install version 7.2.1 instead of 7.3. Version 7.3 is still a beta, though it did worked for you a limited time. I know something (streaming dropping?) did not work for you, but at least SC was working. And then it (127.0.0.1) is a beta problem.

Hi Zaragorn:
Yes, I see lots of 404 messages. Interesting that AVS does that better (I'm using McAfee and a external real server (which I think Sybull doesn't have, when he's talking about a server, he means SC inside his PC, I think). So McAfee doesn't bug me anymore with SC.

I am still confused how or why SC should use 127.0.0.1.

Sybull isn't using a fixed IP, he's just wondering about it. Quote:"Does my Server have to have a fixed IP ?"

mherger
2008-11-06, 00:47
> [08-11-05 21:56:21.5797] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (271)
> Error: Select task failed: Can't call method "model" on an undefined
> value at

That was a bug in a 7.3 nightly from a few days ago. Please update to the
latest build.

Michael

Sybull
2008-11-06, 02:22
Thanks Mherger, thats encouraging. I musty admit i tend to forget I'm running a beta. I had a quick go at installing 7.3 on my laptop and the same thing. So I was starting to worry it was a router setting (and we know how many of those there are !).

I will get a nightly build and/or try 7.2 this weekend.

I will let you know how it went.

mherger
2008-11-06, 02:46
> Thanks Mherger, thats encouraging. I musty admit i tend to forget I'm
> running a beta. I had a quick go at installing 7.3 on my laptop and the
> same thing. So I was starting to worry it was a router setting (and we
> know how many of those there are !).

BTW: the problem should only show up if you don't have a player connected to SC.

--

Michael

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-07, 13:55
Now the interesting thing is, whilst doing this e-mail, I clicked on Server setting/squeezecenter status to get my server details and it starts saying "Waiting for 127.0.0.1", then after a few minutes ithe webpage goes blank with just "404 Not Found: settings/server/progress.html". The URL is is looking for is
"http://127.0.0.1:9000/settings/server/progress.html?type=importer&player=&timestamp=200811051527".

Just a guess, but the "progress.html" might be the progress bar that SC displays while it's rescanning your music, which it will automatically do if no old database is present or on new installs.

The scanner process is more robust than it used to be (i.e. your server should still be usable when scanning) but it does take a lot of resources. On older, underpowered hardware you may experience issues like not being able to access the web GUI, playback dropouts, slowness, etc. You can tell it's rescanning as typically your CPU usage will be high and your disc will be under heavy access.

Rescans can take hours for some people and if there are problems encountered during the rescan the process may hang. Or you may just have to wait until rescanning completes - let it run overnight, go and make supper, etc.

SC generates a scanner log - have a look at that to see which file it's getting tripped up on.

I could be all wrong here but it's worth checking out.

Zaragon
2008-11-07, 14:45
Hi Sybull

Hi Zaragorn:
Yes, I see lots of 404 messages. Interesting that AVS does that better (I'm using McAfee and a external real server (which I think Sybull doesn't have, when he's talking about a server, he means SC inside his PC, I think). So McAfee doesn't bug me anymore with SC.

I am still confused how or why SC should use 127.0.0.1.

Sybull isn't using a fixed IP, he's just wondering about it. Quote:"Does my Server have to have a fixed IP ?"
As I believe there is a firewall/antivirus called AVS I wasn't refering to that just firewall/Antivirus systems in general where they have the Ad-blocking facility. Having said that I notice that Norton 2007 doesn't seem to have it any more.

SC uses 127.0.0.1 on the machine it is loaded on because it can guarantee that it refers to the machine it is loaded on. Trying to use anything else needs an application to pick out the local machine address/name etc. Or it requires the user to know it which when it is assigned by DHCP can be a problem.

The desktop icon for SC which gets installed can thus simply refer to 127.0.0.1:9000 to ensure it's browser will talk to the SC (subject to AV/firewalls being correctly configured) regardless of DHCP, fixed addressing or even a self assigned address.

Sybull
2008-11-08, 00:05
Installed 7.2.1 and it works an absolute treat ! No complaints from it, just worked as soon as I installed it.

Thank you everyone who took the time to try and help. Thats why I prefer forums to helpdesk.

Right I'm off to listen to some music....

Tejay
2008-11-08, 00:17
Sybull: Great!!
You could try the latest nightly 7.3. To be sure that the problem of that beta is also gone.

Zaragon: Thanks for the answers! I can see why SC is using, eventual, 127.0.0.1.