PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Renames Itself?

NordicSeattle
2008-11-01, 14:09
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my Squeezebox Receiver renaming itself. Every time I set a new name, it sticks for maybe a few hours to a few days, then the receiver spontaneously renames itself "Chuchi". (I'm not kidding.)

This seems to happen regardless of whether I rename the receiver from SqueezeCenter or from the remote. I don't have this issue on my Boom.

Version info:
SqueezeCenter: SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1 - 23630 @ Tue Oct 21 07:44:57 PDT 2008 - Windows Server 2003 - EN - cp1252

Controller: 7.2 r3191 root@debian-build #111

Receiver: 48

Boom: 33

Thanks in advance...

Skunk
2008-11-01, 18:47
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my Squeezebox Receiver renaming itself. Every time I set a new name, it sticks for maybe a few hours to a few days, then the receiver spontaneously renames itself "Chuchi". (I'm not kidding.)

That is funny, and yes I must be a nerd.

Did you ever name it that in the past?

NordicSeattle
2008-11-01, 19:04
Nope. It's a totally random name from my point of view. I was thinking somebody might have been messing with me, but I've now added a password to SqueezeCenter and blocked incoming connections from outside my home network. (Why incoming connections are allowed by default escapes me.)

Interestingly if I look at my list of players on SqueezeNetwork, it thinks this particular player is connecting from an IP address that, according to ARIN WHOIS, is in Europe. (I'm in the USA.)

Is it possible that somehow whatever "unique" identifier is built in to the player isn't all that unique, and I'm having a rename war with someone in Switzerland?

Siduhe
2008-11-01, 19:18
Incoming connections should not be permitted on the default install - have you opened up any ports for remote access perchance?

If so, there are ways (not going to list them here) to search for unprotected SC instances on the web, so someone may well be messing with your install.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RemoteStreaming

pfarrell
2008-11-01, 19:21
NordicSeattle wrote:
> Interestingly if I look at my list of players on SqueezeNetwork, it
> thinks this particular player is connecting from an IP address that,
> according to ARIN WHOIS, is in Europe. (I'm in the USA.)

IP addresses only "mostly" map to geolocations. There are too many
variables to get too upset about being off by a continent or two.

> Is it possible that somehow whatever "unique" identifier is built in to
> the player isn't all that unique, and I'm having a rename war with
> someone in Switzerland?

The unique identifier is the MAC address of the Ethernet on the Receiver
(and Transporter, SB Classic, etc.) and there are known reports of the
MAC address being wrong. Its controlled by firmware, and can be changed,
I think there are instructions in the Wiki

Look on the bottom and then look at your http:9000 page to see what MAC
that the software thinks is. If they are not the same, you can see all
sorts of weird stuff

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Skunk
2008-11-01, 19:23
Is it possible that somehow whatever "unique" identifier is built in to the player isn't all that unique, and I'm having a rename war with someone in Switzerland?

Maybe a duplicate MAC address? I haven't ever heard of it here, but if i were you I'd contact support.

NordicSeattle
2008-11-01, 22:28
Thanks for all the ideas.

The MAC address matches the sticker on the bottom of the unit.

I haven't taken any special steps to open up remote access. While troubleshooting this issue I happened to check the Security section of SqueezeCenter settings (which I hadn't been to before) and saw that "Block Incoming Connections" was set to "Do Not Block", so I rectified that and also set a strong password. No joy...a couple days later the receiver renamed itself again.

Any other thoughts? Anybody with knowledge of the code know of a log setting I could use to see if the renames are coming from SqueezeCenter?

NordicSeattle
2008-11-01, 22:33
Oh, the other thing about the weird IP...the fuzziness of IP geolocation aside, the weird address isn't the one currently assigned to me by my ISP (or even remotely similar). Every time I've seen this I've disconnected and deleted the receiver from the SqueezeNetwork side and re-added it, after which the IP is actually the one I would expect.

Mnyb
2008-11-02, 03:04
A long shot here, whats the players name on Squeezenetwork ? if you use that ?

I had trouble with SN changing the spelling of my players name due to problems with non English language, this misspellings was transmitted to my server and thus to my local name of the player.
This is not exactly your problem.

But SqueezeNetwork has a mechanism (i don't now how ) that can change the players name on your server.

mherger
2008-11-02, 05:54
> I'm having an issue with my Squeezebox Receiver renaming itself. Every
> time I set a new name, it sticks for maybe a few hours to a few days,
> then the receiver spontaneously renames itself "Chuchi". (I'm not
> kidding.)

"Chuchi" is Swiss German for "kitchen" - a popular place for Squeezeboxen. Please contact support with the mail address you're using to connect to SN and the player's MAC address. It looks as if there was some kind of conflict.

--

Michael