PDA

View Full Version : Connection Timeout

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-10-31, 06:26
Since upgrading my router which gives me better coverage and end point signal strengths I've found that the 3 Classics I have report a Connection Timeout when attempting to select BBC Radio 2 from My Favourites.

A single Duet I have 'appears' not to be affected by this. I say 'appears' since I didn't actually have my amp on to listen to the output, but the controller happily switched the display to the radio mast graphic and I could see the time spent streaming the transmission increase.

The Classics just display 'Connection Timeout'. They all play music from the music library just fine, I've also increased the Timeout value to 10 (it was 5) in SqueezeCentre 7.2.1 but to no avail.

Any ideas why it's just the Classics that are suffering from this and how I might resolve it?

Many thanks
Hyde

bpa
2008-10-31, 07:38
What are the URLs being used so that others can test ?
Perhaps BBC is busy - 10 secs may not be enough. ?
It is also possible it is a programme changeover in iPlayer and the URLs are not ready - do the URls play OK from Brower BBC iPlayer Web interface

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-10-31, 07:45
What are the URLs being used so that others can test ? Dunno, I'll find out. At work at the moment so I'll look into it.

Perhaps BBC is busy - 10 secs may not be enough. ? Well it's been fine for weeks with it set to 5 :-?

It is also possible it is a programme changeover in iPlayer and the URLs are not ready - do the URls play OK from Brower BBC iPlayer Web interfaceDunno, but as I said the Duet doesn't have this problem, only the Classics. So since it works (95% sure it works, see earlier comment) with one type of device and not another I took this be a device issue rather than a broadcast issue.

Cheers
Hyde.

bpa
2008-10-31, 08:08
Well it's been fine for weeks with it set to 5 :-?

Servers can go down, networks can get congested so it is possible that connections will take longer while the problem persists.

That said, there are a few forum reports recently about users having timeout problems with Radio 4.

Duet and Classic share a lot of hardware and firmware but there is a faint possibility of different network configuration of Classics vs Duet.

HydeTheDarkerSide
2008-11-01, 12:54
extended the timeout to 30 but the Classics are still timing out at 10 seconds :-?

URL is mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/radio2/radio2_nb_e1s1#slim:noscan=1,aid=2

The Duet is definitely playing that stream just fine as can Vista WMP11.

[edit]Just stopped and restarted SqueezeCentre and at least 1 Classic plays the stream just fine again and within 1 or 2 seconds of me pressing the play button on the remote :) I'm hoping the other Classics will follow suit :-o