PDA

View Full Version : Updating Squeezebox duet controller firmware

dtslllw
2008-10-31, 02:57
Hi,
I have updated to Squeezecenter 7.2.1. My SB3 firmware has updated with no problems. My Duet however cannot update its firmware via the Advanced/Software Update menu item. I get the "upgrade failed try again..." message. I have read elsewhere on this forum that others have performed this firmware update by using an SD card. Where do I find and download the firmware software to put on the SD card? I can't find it in the Downloads directory.

Thanks for any help on this.

Skunk
2008-10-31, 04:29
http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/

Skunk
2008-10-31, 04:58
Forgot to mention, if you haven't rebooted the server since upgrading it won't allow the Controller to see that an upgrade is available.

dtslllw
2008-10-31, 05:31
thank you for that.

Despite using the sd card method, the firmware still will not update (for either SC7.2.1 or SC7.3). Any other ideas? I won't be able to ring tech support till Monday.....

This means I will be running SC 7.3 with the SBC firmware that was included with SC 7.1. Should the basic functions (playing music) work OK?

Thanks again.

Howard Passman
2008-10-31, 13:57
thank you for that.

Despite using the sd card method, the firmware still will not update (for either SC7.2.1 or SC7.3). Any other ideas? I won't be able to ring tech support till Monday.....

This means I will be running SC 7.3 with the SBC firmware that was included with SC 7.1. Should the basic functions (playing music) work OK?

Thanks again.

Make sure you are pointed at SC and not SN. I don't think you can update unless you are pointed at SC. At least mine never will.

Howard

socistep
2008-10-31, 14:17
SC is upgraded to 7.2.1 however can't update controller to the latest firmware.

Will try a few more times

thomsens
2008-10-31, 15:17
This seems to be a common problem with the controller with just about every release. Every time I go to upgrade my controller sw, I cross my fingers. I think I have a 50% chance of success based on my history with it. Now with 7.2.1, I'm only having the failed message. The reliability of sw upgrades for the controller needs to be a quality focus item for slim devices going forward. The current implementation is not acceptable. Luckily it has always (mostly) worked regardless of the rev it was on. The chief complaint I'd have is that it takes too long to "wake-up" after not being used for some time.

BTW, the upgrade message I get say "Updated software is available for this remote. It may take a few minutes to upgrade to ?." That's a strange message.

thomsens
2008-10-31, 15:30
Ok - so I manually copied all the "jive" components from the web site listed above to the firmware directory under SC. Now it appears to be letting me do the upgrade. Why would I have to do that?

Skunk
2008-10-31, 17:03
Forgot to mention, if you haven't rebooted the server since upgrading it won't allow the Controller to see that an upgrade is available.

Oops, I meant to say restarted SqueezeCenter, not rebooted.

I've had trouble trying to SCP firmware on there if I didn't rename the jive_7.3_rxxx to jive.bin. If you can't update it I'd go back to whatever version SC that cooresponds with the firmware on the Controller, and work from there.

Ok - so I manually copied all the "jive" components from the web site listed above to the firmware directory under SC. Now it appears to be letting me do the upgrade. Why would I have to do that?

Never tried that before. Do you have 'automatic updates' enabled in Web Interface>Settings>Advanced?

thomsens
2008-11-01, 16:33
Never tried that before. Do you have 'automatic updates' enabled in Web Interface>Settings>Advanced?

I'm not following your question (nor can I find that menu structure). I have SC automatically check for updates and I have my players automatically update firmware. Is there a similar setting for the controller (didn't check that)? In any case, the jive files weren't even in the directory at all. As soon as I put them there from your earlier link, the upgrade worked. To upgrade SC, I'll just download the code and install over the original. I assumed that added needed jive components, but maybe not?

Skunk
2008-11-01, 17:59
I'm not following your question (nor can I find that menu structure). I have SC automatically check for updates

That's what I meant, Settings>Advanced, from the Web Interface.

I assumed the added jive components were added when SC was upgraded too, but there have been a lot of posts about ppl having trouble with 7.2.1.

wolfzell
2008-11-02, 01:47
Had a similar problem. Controller did not want to update, always replied with the failed installation error. I installed the new 7.2.1 from the nightlies yesterday. Automatic updates are enabled, still there has been no jive firmware in the firmware directory even after rebooting server (running Win XP) and the controller.

Now I downloaded jive.version and jive_7.2_r3191.bin from the link above, put them into the firmware directory and while I am writing this, the controller does it's update.

bye
Wolfgang

Loy
2008-12-17, 08:44
Had a similar problem. Controller did not want to update, always replied with the failed installation error. I installed the new 7.2.1 from the nightlies yesterday. Automatic updates are enabled, still there has been no jive firmware in the firmware directory even after rebooting server (running Win XP) and the controller.

Now I downloaded jive.version and jive_7.2_r3191.bin from the link above, put them into the firmware directory and while I am writing this, the controller does it's update.

bye
Wolfgang

Which directory did you put the downloaded bin file to?
\sys\firmware or \lib\firmware?
I'm not able to copy anything into \sys\firmware.
Copying into \lib\firmware, I'm still faced with same failure.

mvalera
2008-12-17, 09:25
You guys should contact support if you have issues updating firmware:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html

Mike

DougP
2009-01-04, 13:22
All,

Had the same issue after updating to 7.3.1 - there were no Jive files in the /fimware directory so it was no wonder it could not work...

I downloaded the Jive files listed in the previous message and it worked.

Is it possible that the Jive software has been missed out of the 7.3.1 files? Maybe others have the issue but not seen the fimware update? Another factor could be that I do not have a Receiver, only an SB2 - does the Receiver firmware automatically have the Jive fimrware?

Anyway if people face this issue I suggest you do it manually for now....

DougP