PDA

View Full Version : Can PDA with WiFi function act as remote?

New Daddy
2008-10-30, 15:37
My PDA has WiFi functionality with a decent LCD screen.
I was wondering if there is an application that runs on Windows Mobile 5.0 or 6.0 that will turn my PDA into a SB remote.
That will definitely save me a lot of money.
Thanks in advance for information.

peterw
2008-10-30, 15:42
My PDA has WiFi functionality with a decent LCD screen.
I was wondering if there is an application that runs on Windows Mobile 5.0 or 6.0 that will turn my PDA into a SB remote.
That will definitely save me a lot of money.
Thanks in advance for information.

The easiest solution is the web interface -- open http://yourserveraddresshere:9000/Handheld/ in Pocket IE. It's not as nice as a Squeezebox Controller, but if you already have the PDA, check it out.

Goodsounds
2008-10-30, 15:58
It's very easy and works fine. But to add a bit more meat to the bones:

You need to find out what the internal (to your home network) IP address is of the machine running Squeeze Center. Google for instructions if you need to know how to do that.

If you don't leave that machine on, it may have a different address assigned to it each time you turn it on. For this reason, you may find it easier to use a Static (ie, fixed) IP address for that machine, so that you can enter the address once and then bookmark it for subsequent use.

So, if you find out the IP address for the SC machine is 192.168.1.105, you would enter the following on the address line of a browser on your PDA:

http://192.168.1.105:9000

You can also control SC, and any number of SB devices, the exact same way from any PC on your home network. Or any wifi enabled device - Palm devices, Windows Mobile, Iphone or Itouch, Blackberry with wifi, etc etc etc. Good luck.

amey01
2008-10-30, 16:39
Check out SlimRemote from Michael.

lrossouw
2008-10-31, 00:54
where do we vote for squeezeplay for wm6?!

Locuth
2009-04-28, 16:25
Hi there,

Maybe you would like to check out my approach to remote controlling SqueezeBoxes with a PDA.

SlimControl is a PDA-based remote control for Logitech's Squeeze network.
http://www.sciatec.de/SlimControl

Testers are very welcome.

funkstar
2009-04-29, 04:30
where do we vote for squeezeplay for wm6?!

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61925

You can't vote as such, but it's a start.

Dingostrategy
2009-05-08, 23:51
Bit of a bump. I used to use telcanto on a HTC phone. It did the job but was not that fantastic. I also used the web interface as described here but but the time you fiddle about with it all, quicker to get up off the chair, find the remote, and change - or go to the server and do it there.

Now I got an iPod touch and iPeng and threw the HTC in a sewer because it was a piece of junk. I am never buying a phone worth more than $50 again.

:)

andynormancx
2009-05-09, 00:24
Now I got an iPod touch and iPeng and threw the HTC in a sewer because it was a piece of junk. I am never buying a phone worth more than $50 again.

Not even an iPhone ?

;)

Dingostrategy
2009-05-09, 02:31
Not even an iPhone ?

;)

ESPECIALLY not an iphone. I consider phones disposable now. I will sync my contacts to the touch - have a few major ones on the phone, and carry both while on the road. That way when this $35 Samsung dies as phones inevitably do, it's not a zillion dollar proposition. I don't really want a phone remote anymore - but the touch is sweet.

This is now an official hijack. Return to normal programming at your leisure.

kawasaki.kermit
2009-05-09, 11:12
The nokia770 is nice to use with a touchscreen phone or itouch. Someone or myself needs to invest time in creating a better web interface for mobile or mini devices. Simple buttons and artwork to show up on the phone.

pippin
2009-05-09, 14:50
The nokia770 is nice to use with a touchscreen phone or itouch. Someone or myself needs to invest time in creating a better web interface for mobile or mini devices. Simple buttons and artwork to show up on the phone.

Have you tried the handheld skin?

The big problem with most mobile devices is that their browsers are not very powerful, especially when it comes to JavaScript.
And SC is very slow on serving up large pages of HTML content on some platforms so using non-JS pages is also not very slick.

If you can get hold of an iThingy with iPeng compare the iPeng plugin with the iPeng App and you know why people want applications - and the Mobile Safari is among the faster browsers!

Locuth
2009-05-22, 14:20

What OS is the Nokia 770 running on?

pippin
2009-05-22, 14:23
What OS is the Nokia 770 running on?

Symbian, AFAIK

snarlydwarf
2009-05-22, 14:36
Symbian, AFAIK

Nope, it's a Debian Linux derivative on the 770 series.

(The 770 isn't a phone.)

It's even easy to "jailbreak" it. So easy that it isn't even much of a trick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_770

pippin
2009-05-22, 14:44
Nope, it's a Debian Linux derivative on the 770 series.

(The 770 isn't a phone.)

Yes, it's that TV thingy, isn't it?
I thought it was Symbian, too.

Debian - now that's cool.

snarlydwarf
2009-05-22, 14:51
Yes, it's that TV thingy, isn't it?
I thought it was Symbian, too.

Debian - now that's cool.

It's an "internet tablet"... basically a keyboardless (well, it has software onscreen keyboard and the N810 has a slideout tiny hardware keyboard) linux box using a mostly slick UI (Hildon) and Gnome.

http://maemo.org has a bunch of applications compiled for it.

Until I got my netbook, the 770 was the greatest thing on the planet and it is still pretty neat: the screen is very crisp and has great resolution. Unlocked, I can ssh into servers at work while on the road (it has bluetooth so connects to my cellphone for net access) if I have to. Or use 802.11g and one of the global free ISP's like "Linksys" or "Default" and get a better connection.

The 800 is faster, and the 810 has the keyboard.. and I think the 810 includes GPS....

All work well with the N770 skin for SC as remote controls.

(Though iPeng has a severe advantage over them, for sure since it's not just a web-browser-skin... but the 770 predates the iPhone... :))

pippin
2009-05-22, 15:21
All work well with the N770 skin for SC as remote controls.

(Though iPeng has a severe advantage over them, for sure since it's not just a web-browser-skin... but the 770 predates the iPhone... :))

Yes, I know.
When I first started the iPeng skin, I started off with the combined Nokia/PSP? Skin. It was quite cool and almost fit iPhone at first glance - until I found out that the iPhone'S screen obviously is a lot smaller than the Nokia one.