PDA

View Full Version : Which Remote Control to buy?

MrGadget
2008-10-29, 15:32
Hi guys, I am really enjoying my SqueezeBox Classic but would like to take it to the next level for conveniance and 'cool factor'.

I know lots of people are using an ipod Touch to control the system via the web page and it seems that most people are very happy with it. Do you have to use iPeng for this to work or does ipeng make the GUI easier to navigate compared to the normal Squeeze Centre web page? To install iPeng do you have to do anything to the ipod Touch that will void the warranty?

Also what about using something other than Apples products to control SqeezeCentre? Two other devices I have seem on the net are the Archos 5,7 and the Cowon Q5W. I know these are more expensive but they have a bigger screen and perhaps are less limited in supported formats. What do you guys think about these?

Thanks.

aubuti
2008-10-29, 16:05
Also what about using something other than Apples products to control SqeezeCentre? Two other devices I have seem on the net are the Archos 5,7 and the Cowon Q5W.
Maybe one of us is overlooking the obvious, but have you considered the SB Controller (ie, the "remote" part of the Duet)? It has a very good UI, and with the release of SC 7.3, it will be a portable player as well (within wifi range).

pippin
2008-10-29, 17:31
I know lots of people are using an ipod Touch to control the system via the web page and it seems that most people are very happy with it. Do you have to use iPeng for this to work or does ipeng make the GUI easier to navigate compared to the normal Squeeze Centre web page? To install iPeng do you have to do anything to the ipod Touch that will void the warranty?

The iPeng skin/plugin is a plugin for the SqueezeCenter SERVER that will give you a iPhone like UI. It runs entirely in the browser, so no: you will NOT violate anything :-)

The native iPeng app (coming soon :-) will hopefully be distributed through the AppStore, so, again: it will not violate anything.

MrGadget
2008-10-29, 17:38
Maybe one of us is overlooking the obvious, but have you considered the SB Controller (ie, the "remote" part of the Duet)? It has a very good UI, and with the release of SC 7.3, it will be a portable player as well (within wifi range).

As far as I'm aware, in Australia you can't just buy the remote. Also I don't own a portable music player so I want something that works outside a wifi zone too.

MrGadget
2008-10-29, 17:41
The iPeng skin/plugin is a plugin for the SqueezeCenter SERVER that will give you a iPhone like UI. It runs entirely in the browser, so no: you will NOT violate anything :-)

The native iPeng app (coming soon :-) will hopefully be distributed through the AppStore, so, again: it will not violate anything.

Oh, I get it. So basically you install the plugin on a typical SqueezeCentre install on a PC/Laptop and use it instead of the default skin. So when you log in with a wifi device, it just acts as a dumb display as shows the same thing as what the PC displays. i thought it was an application that needs to be installed on the wifi device itself (I guess this is what the native app will be).

davep
2008-10-29, 21:56
Oh, I get it. So basically you install the plugin on a typical SqueezeCentre install on a PC/Laptop and use it instead of the default skin. So when you log in with a wifi device, it just acts as a dumb display as shows the same thing as what the PC displays. i thought it was an application that needs to be installed on the wifi device itself (I guess this is what the native app will be).

Not quite accurate - the skins can allow full control of the server and the squeezeboxes on your network just as if you were using the web interface at your PC. Different skins may have more or less controls on screen, or buried in menus, as part of their design choices but they are much more than simple dumb displays. The iPeng skin gives you lots of control of players and playlists, as well as displayng album art etc, all in a fairly iPod sort of interface.

davep

MrGadget
2008-10-29, 23:12
Not quite accurate - the skins can allow full control of the server and the squeezeboxes on your network just as if you were using the web interface at your PC. Different skins may have more or less controls on screen, or buried in menus, as part of their design choices but they are much more than simple dumb displays. The iPeng skin gives you lots of control of players and playlists, as well as displayng album art etc, all in a fairly iPod sort of interface.

davep

What I meant was the ipod Touch itself just displays the SqueezeCentre web page on it and the skin that is installed on the server has all the funcionality built into it rather than anything special on the ipod.

dwc
2008-10-29, 23:45
I use my blackberry curve (wifi) as a remote. Any portable wifi web browser should work.

pippin
2008-10-30, 00:23
What I meant was the ipod Touch itself just displays the SqueezeCentre web page on it and the skin that is installed on the server has all the funcionality built into it rather than anything special on the ipod.

somewhere in between.
It does have significant application parts itself, but it's written in JavaScript