PDA

View Full Version : Linksys Security

reese
2008-10-25, 20:32
Any help is greatly appreciated....Everything with the Duet works fine when security is shut down on the Linksys. When I apply any sort of security to my network the system hangs. I was using WPA2 with TKIP or WES and then I read that the Duet works better with WPA with TKIP. Made the change and still doesn't work. What's the proper order for setting up? Establish connection with Duet and then change security in Linksys or change security in Linksys and adjust in Duet? Actually, neither has worked so any insight is greatly appreciated.

toby10
2008-10-26, 03:17
Any help is greatly appreciated....Everything with the Duet works fine when security is shut down on the Linksys. When I apply any sort of security to my network the system hangs. I was using WPA2 with TKIP or WES and then I read that the Duet works better with WPA with TKIP. Made the change and still doesn't work. What's the proper order for setting up? Establish connection with Duet and then change security in Linksys or change security in Linksys and adjust in Duet? Actually, neither has worked so any insight is greatly appreciated.

I can only suggest that you carefully:
- check your encryption key
- clear encryption key on your Duet
- re-enter key on Duet
- be very careful you have not accidentally added a blank *space* in the key
The blank space entry is all too common when entering a long key with no std. keyboard, especially at the very end of the key.

You might want to start by temporarily making the encryption key ridiculously short (like just 4 letters) just for testing purposes. Obviously you will want to change this when you are solidly connecting. :)

I only use WPA2 with AES on all devices including an SB3 and Boom and they work fine, so I'm guessing your problem is with your encryption key.

EDIT: I should have added......if you are going to try a simple encryption key for testing you should cut & paste your routers current WEP/WPA key into a text doc (email, Word, simple text doc) so you can easily re-cut & re-paste it back into your router key entry after testing. Once you change the key on your router none of your other WiFi devices will be able to connect with the original entered key.