PDA

View Full Version : Playlist Compatibility

pablolie
2008-10-25, 15:25
Ok. I think that once again a plaiist format compatibility issue between SS, WMP or iTunes has corrurpted my playlists.

This is the second time this happens to me.

In a perfect world, I would like to create playlists that automatically are populated with universal system references that any program can access... that is, my entire library is on a big drive Z:/MyMusic/ and all my playlists are on Z:/MyMusic/MyPlaylists....

and if the files are referenced as
Z:/MyMusic/Artist/Album/Song.mp3

then every programm on the system should be able to find them and play them.

Fotr some reason that is not the case right now. I have duplicate files of my plalists, one with a M3u and another one with a M3u~ extension and I have no idea why.

So I am about to start from scratch when it comes to playlists but really would appreciate pointers to achieve that "universal" nature of playlists. I want to be able to use any programm to deposit playlists (that is, M3U files) that any programm can play, and for all the future as long as I keep files on volume Z: (but then again, perhaps a more abstract network name is better??) will always play.

Any suggestions?

davep
2008-10-25, 19:00
Fotr some reason that is not the case right now. I have duplicate files of my plalists, one with a M3u and another one with a M3u~ extension and I have no idea why.

The .M3u~ files are backups that are made by the system when you save a new version. It is safe to delete them if you find them distracting when you look at a file listing.
My only thought regarding your set up is to look at putting the playlist files themselves on a different drive from the music files which might force the pointers to include the full path. This is what I do and can make playlists that are "universal". I am wondering if having the playlists on the same drive allows the path statements to get shortened as specifying the drive name will not be necessary.

davep

pablolie
2008-10-27, 08:59
My only thought regarding your set up is to look at putting the playlist files themselves on a different drive from the music files which might force the pointers to include the full path. This is what I do and can make playlists that are "universal". ...
davep

As Einstein stated, relative simplicity rules. That is a great suggestion, thanks a *lot*!!