PDA

View Full Version : Controller doesn't see Squeezebox

billjohnson
2008-10-25, 10:46
I bought the Squeezebox Duet a couple of days ago. The controller easily found my network (BT HomeHub2), connected to it, and downloaded an update. When I tried to get it to see the Squeezebox the box just flashed red for ages but no message appeared on the controller. After about an hour it suddenly found it and the system worked fine.
At night I turned the box off with the controller and the next day it had lost it again. Also the Squeezecentre on the PC downloaded an update. Eventually I get it going again but halfway through a song it stopped and the box flashed alternately blue and white. Now I am getting a message "could not connect Squeezebox to SqueezeNetwork".
Is this sort of thing normal or should I assume that the device is faulty and return it?

wodehouse
2008-10-25, 14:07
unfortunately it seems to be normal. I've had consistently decreasing functionality and increased droppings like this with every software/firmware upgrade since Logitech bought Slim.

Siduhe
2008-10-25, 14:18
Sorry to hear you're having problems. It's difficult to assess whether this is a setup issue or faulty hardware at this stage. A common cause of the Controller failing to see Squeezecenter is a firewall or IP issue, but it sounds like you are having problems with a Receiver as well (the other half of the Duet combo). If you only ever use Squeezenetwork it could be that the Duet is having problems getting access to the internet.

If you can give a bit more info, we should be able to help rule out a few things at least.

What OS are you running?
Is your Duet connected wirelessly?
How are you giving the Duet an IP address, does your router hand out the addresses automatically?
Do you have any antivirus or firewall software installed - if so which product?
Can you connect to Squeezecenter rather than Squeezenetwork (use the Controller and look for the MusicSource option?)
Is there anything in the server.log file (you can follow the link to this from the webinterface, Settings/Status which would give a clue what's going on - look for recent error messages.
Finally, does powercycling your router improve the situation at all?

billjohnson
2008-10-26, 05:59
Sorry to hear you're having problems. It's difficult to assess whether this is a setup issue or faulty hardware at this stage. A common cause of the Controller failing to see Squeezecenter is a firewall or IP issue, but it sounds like you are having problems with a Receiver as well (the other half of the Duet combo). If you only ever use Squeezenetwork it could be that the Duet is having problems getting access to the internet.

If you can give a bit more info, we should be able to help rule out a few things at least.

What OS are you running?
Is your Duet connected wirelessly?
How are you giving the Duet an IP address, does your router hand out the addresses automatically?
Do you have any antivirus or firewall software installed - if so which product?
Can you connect to Squeezecenter rather than Squeezenetwork (use the Controller and look for the MusicSource option?)
Is there anything in the server.log file (you can follow the link to this from the webinterface, Settings/Status which would give a clue what's going on - look for recent error messages.
Finally, does powercycling your router improve the situation at all?

Ive more or less decided to return the product for replacement so I hope that it is faulty!
OS is Windows XP Prof
Connected wirelessly but when I tried through ethernet I still had problems
IP addresses automatic
Firewalls all inactivated
The controller won't connect to Squeezecenter unless the Squeezebox is working.
Webinterface- don't understand this one.
Powercycling does seem to help but life is too short to be doing it all the time!

mvalera
2008-10-27, 13:41
You best bet is to contact support. they'll walk you through the setup:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html#phone

Mike

billjohnson
2008-10-28, 04:10
As I'm in the UK I am not too keen on phoning support in the US. I have already arranged for the unit to be replaced so I hope that will help.
The controller connects to the network right away (I only have one network in range) but when I try to configure the SB nothing appears on the controller for ages and even when it does appear the red light on the SB just keeps flashing red. Obviously you tell if the controller is communicating with the network but how can you tell what the SB is doing?

radish
2008-10-28, 19:49
The SBR communicates via the flashing lights :)

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SBRFrontButtonAndLED

billjohnson
2008-10-29, 03:21
Thanks, I hadn't seen that article. At one time I had the SB going but then it started displaying blue, then flashing blue/white, then finally red, with various combinations of slow and continuous red lights. I hope that when I get a replacement it doesn't do the same things as I will really be stuck. I must admit that at the moment I am thinking of upgrading (?) to Sonos but if the problem turns out to be with my router or network I may well have the same problems.
Having just read that you can get Sonos controller software for the Ipod Touch it would be reasonably cheap to buy a Sonos Zonebridge and a ZP90 and use the Ipod to control it.

wodehouse
2008-11-09, 21:03
follow up on my grumbles above --
I loaded SC 7.2.1 on my Infrant NAS and all apparent network drops went away, as did the crappy FLAC playback. So apparently the issue is not my network but some issue between the Ubuntu SC severs and the CIFS-mounted drive, and perhaps just the Ubuntu version. Dunno. Of course the Infrant NAS has poor web server perf, but at least I can hear my music! (crowd and family cheering in background as I no longer curse away the evenings).

Any thougts on the Linux contribution to my erstwhile hell?

martynk
2008-11-10, 09:49
I had the same random problems - got a replacement box and it all worked a treat, must be some slightly faulty units about.