PDA

View Full Version : Musicip with external HD?

Bert57
2008-10-25, 07:42
Spicefly headless instructions show:.

My Music Collection file location;
C:\Documents and Settings\rocky\My Documents\My Music

With an external HD(E) that only has music on it how would I configure? Currently in SC it is E:\music and works fine.
Thanks for any assistance.
Steve

friendlyfire
2008-10-26, 10:42
I run music IP with an external HD, and everything works fine. I found I needed to access the music IP server page from a browser session on the server itself (and not from another networked machine). You should be able to punch in e:\music as the path. I hope that is helpful.

MeSue
2008-10-26, 12:22
I found I needed to access the music IP server page from a browser session on the server itself (and not from another networked machine).

FYI - You just need an exception in the firewall on the server machine to allow access from a networked machine. Just add whatever port MIP is running on (usually 10002) to the firewall exceptions.

friendlyfire
2008-10-26, 16:25
no, I have no firewall on the MIP server. This is all inside my LAN. I found that the MIP gui wants to interpret the path to the music folder locally, (even if I fully specified the unc path of the external hard drive connected to the server). Other than this one issue I can talk to the MIP server from anywhere in my network via web browser.

bobkoure
2008-10-27, 06:06
Be careful with "refresh".
If you run it and your external drive isn't available (for whatever reason) refresh will remove all the music on that drive from your MusicIP cache.
I guess if all your music were on that drive, you could have the cache there as well, so refresh just wouldn't work at all...

Bert57
2008-10-27, 06:58
Thanks for the replies. Worked on this a bit this weekend and made some progress. Using "E:\music" as the path worked fine for Musicip and I left Music Folder" blank in SC. When I did "clear and rescan" SC showed all my music as "imported from Musicip.
Musicip works great. Thought I had it but there was no "M" with my music. Stopped and started Musicip services and SC services but that did not help. Plays the music fine but no mix option.
Will continue researching but would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks again. Nice to have this kind of resource.
System is Windows XP with ext hd.
Steve

Bert57
2008-10-27, 07:23
A little research has me thinking that I may need to clear the MIP cache and rescan the music library. Does that make sense? I had already scanned the library and had it in MIP then deleted MIP and reloaded it. When it reloaded it still showed all the music.
How do you clear the cache in MIP?
Thanks
Steve

MeSue
2008-10-27, 07:31
Thanks for the replies. Worked on this a bit this weekend and made some progress. Using "E:\music" as the path worked fine for Musicip and I left Music Folder" blank in SC. When I did "clear and rescan" SC showed all my music as "imported from Musicip.
Musicip works great. Thought I had it but there was no "M" with my music. Stopped and started Musicip services and SC services but that did not help. Plays the music fine but no mix option.
Will continue researching but would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks again. Nice to have this kind of resource.
System is Windows XP with ext hd.
Steve

Steve, MIP has to do an analysis on all your music before the songs will be mixable. This can take a VERY long time. None of your posts have made it clear whether you have allowed this to happen.

If you are using MIP headless, you can look at the top if the webUI and see what it says for songs to validate.

Or you can open the desktop GUI and set it to show the status column, or set up filters to show which songs still need analysis.

Bert57
2008-10-27, 07:40
Thanks for that. Will have to check on whether the analysis was done but I think you are correct in that when I added songs it seems it only took about 15 minutes. Probably not enough time to have done the analysis.
Will have to go by the house to check it and will let you know.
Really do appreciate all of your help.
Steve

Bert57
2008-10-27, 11:33
Got by the house and checked the validation. Here are the results.

MusicMagic Server
Current Cache
Total songs 4,296
Mixable songs 4,227
Songs to validate 0

enter root folder of music enter text to match songs
Everything matches what is in the HD.
Once again, these were left in the cache after I uninstalled and reinstalled MIP. Do I need to empty the cache, reload music, and revalidate?
Any other suggestions. I am aware that the services need to be started MIP first and Squeeze started after. Should SC be shut down befor starting the services?
Thanks again.
Steve

MeSue
2008-10-27, 12:21
It sounds like you have done everything right. I see no reason you should clear the cache, but I don't know why you're not getting the mix option. How are you looking for it (classic display, controller, SqueezeCenter web interface)?

Note: On the Controller, there is no "M" shown. You have to go into song info and you will see Music IP mix as an option there. Or you can press and hold play to create a mix for whatever you are browsed to (artist/album/song).

Bert57
2008-10-27, 14:45
Thanks again.
Using the web interface. I go to artist and down to a listing, no m. Album, to a particular album, no m.
Will keep working on it and see what I can find.
Thanks
Steve

MeSue
2008-10-27, 15:00
What skin are you using? I don't think all the skins have the mixer buttons. I know Default and Fishbone do, so try those. And try deleting your web browser cache.

sebp
2008-10-27, 15:24
Stopped and started Musicip services and SC services but that did not help.
Steve,

You really need to take care that MiP (and its API service) is started before SqueezeCenter starts.

I encountered the same kind of behaviour as yours (MiP scan went fine, but no "M" icon showed in front of tracks/albums/etc), and was able to get it solved by simply restarting SC.

Please note that registry-based Windows trick (aka DependsOnService key) designed to make SC service depends on MiP's one does not always work as advertised.
It at least didn't work for me with WinXP, and I had to use the Windows built-in "SC" command to solve the startup order problem.
As far as I can remember (not using SqueezeCenter on Windows anymore), this needed something like this :

sc config "<name of SqueezeCenter service>" depend="<name of MusicIP service>"

Sébastien

Bert57
2008-10-28, 08:15
Success!
After all the assistance I have finally managed to get Musicip working on my home computer. Not really sure what he actual solution was. Last thing I did was, clear cache,Fix Startup Order of MusicIP and Slimserver from

http://spicefly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=32.

The site clearly states "Slimserver and MusicIP must be working correctly together." Since I was having a problem getting them to work together I had not installed it. After the fact it seems my startup order may have been wrong even though I had gone to Administrative Tools, service, and manually stopped and started the services. Probably just user error.

I would not have been able to get this without the patience and assistance I received here so thanks to all that participated. Special thanks to MeSue
who went the extra mile.
Have found that I now need to upgrade software for the Duet controller to work. Running 6.9 now and am thinking of upgrading to 7.1. Objective is the best software with the least bugs. Suggestions?
Steve

MeSue
2008-10-28, 08:35
Hooray!

I would suggest you install SC 7.2.1. This has an important fix for the Duet Controller, see - http://forums.slimdevices.com/announcement.php?f=2

Bert57
2008-10-28, 09:54
Then 7.2.1 it is.
Appreciated!
Steve