PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter 7.2.1 init script "status" is wrong (FC4)

gwar9999
2008-10-24, 22:56
I've been a long time Slimserver 6.x user. I recently upgraded to Squeezecenter 7.2.0 and now 7.2.1. Both of the 7.2 versions have the same problem.

I am running this on a Fedora Core 4 system (I know it's ancient but Slimserver worked perfectly on this box so there's no reason Squeezecenter shouldn't).

Anyhow, if I launch Squeezecenter it starts as expected. However, if I invoke the status it always reports it as stopped:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/squeezecenter status
squeezecenter-server is stopped

$ ps ax | grep /usr/libexec/squeezecenter-server
28174 ? S<s 0:18 /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/libexec/squeezecenter-server --daemon --prefsdir=/var/lib/squeezecenter/prefs --logdir=/var/log/squeezecenter --cachedir=/var/lib/squeezecenter/cache --charset=utf8

So although, /etc/init.d/squeezecenter status reports that it's not running, clearly it is.

Additionally /etc/init.d/stop fails to stop Squeezecenter so I'm forced to kill it the ol' fashioned way.

Any ideas how to get the init script to behave properly?

Thanks.

Mark Miksis
2008-10-25, 10:18
Fedora has made minor changes to killproc and other functions over time that make it tricky for the same script to work for all releases. There are some kludges in the SC RPM init script to support CentOS 4, but nothing older than that. I'd rather not add another workaround to support a distro that went EOL more than 2 years ago.

If you want to look into this yourself, take a look at /etc/init.d/functions and see what's different between killproc and status between FC4 and a current Fedora release. That should give you some clues.

gwar9999
2008-10-25, 16:50
Fedora has made minor changes to killproc and other functions over time that make it tricky for the same script to work for all releases. There are some kludges in the SC RPM init script to support CentOS 4, but nothing older than that. I'd rather not add another workaround to support a distro that went EOL more than 2 years ago.

If you want to look into this yourself, take a look at /etc/init.d/functions and see what's different between killproc and status between FC4 and a current Fedora release. That should give you some clues.

Thanks for the reply Fletch. I had a feeling that this could be the problem so from a FC7 server, I copied /etc/init.d/functions to the FC4 Squeezecenter server and tried to start/status it-- no luck. There were definitely diffs between the FC4 & FC7 /etc/init.d/functions file but apparently nothing that makes SC behave properly on FC4.

Mark Miksis
2008-10-26, 18:11
I'm pretty sure this came up once before in either a bug report or a forum discussion. Someone (I don't recall if it was me or the bug reporter) posted a patch that fixes it. Unfortunately I can't seem to find that bug report. I'll keep looking and post here if I find it, but you may want to do some searches yourself. Sorry...

coyoteboy
2008-10-30, 10:23
I think I'm having the same problem on an FC5 server currently - slimserver upgraded (by a user hitting the upgrade button) to squeezecenter 7.2.1 - this killed all functionality. I managed to get it to restart once and scan in some new tracks, but then rescan wouldnt work so I unistalled the package and re-installed 7.2.1-1 and now the server wont even start at all.

Are copies of the old software available still? I'd rather go back to what did work than fight with it for a few new features/fixes?