PDA

View Full Version : Mainly British....

marksw
2008-10-24, 11:57
... except for the Squeezebox of course!

An SB3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic (via digital coaxial) -> Creek Audio Evolution integrated amp -> Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2967028243_1fc21627fb.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/markymoo/2967028243/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2967805622_a115467a97.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/markymoo)

ajmitchell
2008-10-25, 01:57
Nice, whats your impression of the DAcMagic?..have a look at my review in the audiophiles section.

marksw
2008-10-25, 03:13
Hey,

I think the DacMagic is a brilliant bit of kit. I was always very happy with the audio on the SB3 (I've never had anything better to compare it too thankfully), but since I got my SB3 I've been really getting into my music again. Because I read only good things about the DacMagic, and given it's price (200 here in the UK), I thought it would be an interesting move.

All the other DACs that seemed worth getting were much more expensive, and although I'd like a Benchmark DAC for example, I couldn't justify the outlay! There are a few DACs cheaper than the SB3 cost, and I couldn't really see much point in these because the gains (if any) would be minimal in my opinion.

The DacMagic came along at a perfect price point, and offering some unique and useful features, so I decided to take the plunge - and I'm glad I did!

I think it's still early days to comment on the sound, because the digital cable is new and still being run in, and the DAC is only about 2 weeks old now. However, first impressions are great. I'm much more aware of there being a left and a right to my music, so I guess you would say the soundstage has opened up.

The music seems crisper too; precusion instruments are much improved, and things like triangles have a nice ring to them. This may change though as everything runs in. The other thing that struck me was the low end. It's easier to follow a tuneful baseline, and I think the rhythm has picked up a bit. The vocals sound more pleasing too I think, though I've never really had a problem with them in the past.

In short, although I was never really unhappy with the SB3 on it's own, I am surprised by the impact of this addition - it really seems to have turned everything up a notch, and I guess pulled the music together a bit more. I'm quite lucky that I've never had a high end system, so this set up pleases me very much.

I was a musician when I was younger, and played in several bands and orchestras. I still go to concerts, and I'm not aiming to reproduce that experience with my HiFi - I just want to listen to music and enjoy what I hear. And this is what I do :)

marksw
2008-10-25, 05:52
I would say one bad thing though - the DAC does seem to make bad recordings sound even worse...!

DaveBk
2008-10-25, 14:01
Another 'Mainly British' photo - this one using Naim amps - NAC 252, Supercap, NAP 300, except of course the Transporter and the Swedish Guru QM10s.

swhite58
2008-10-26, 23:45
I think it's still early days to comment on the sound, because the digital cable is new and still being run in,

What, what??? Now we have to run in digital cables??? Please allow me a modicum of skepticism.

Lovely system though. The Cambridge DAC interests me too.

Shane

marksw
2008-10-27, 01:16
What, what??? Now we have to run in digital cables??? Please allow me a modicum of skepticism.

I wouldn't really know to be honest - but it's directional and all the other cables need running in, so why not this one?

Anyway, the DAC is also new, so presumably needs running in too...

marksw
2008-10-27, 01:17
Another 'Mainly British' photo - this one using Naim amps - NAC 252, Supercap, NAP 300, except of course the Transporter and the Swedish Guru QM10s.

Mmmm, very nice setup :)

Editorp
2009-01-10, 07:53
Just a thought, would match a Quad 33 nicely, No?

badbob
2009-01-10, 09:11
Quad & Creek are no longer British.

amcluesent
2009-01-10, 09:53
TP with Arcam Solo and B&W CM 2

Siduhe
2009-01-10, 13:09

I run a SB Classic into a Quad 306/34 combination (from the British years) and am very happy with it. Like the photo too! ;-)

JJZolx
2009-01-11, 18:33

Is this a Squeezebox rebox, or just a photoshopped image? If it's real, more photos please, including the back and insides.

badbob
2009-01-12, 05:18
Didn't Linn and Quad just shove SB internals into own casing then bump up the price?

Editorp
2009-01-21, 11:57
Is this a Squeezebox rebox, or just a photoshopped image? If it's real, more photos please, including the back and insides.

Photoshop I'm afraid, just playing to see how it would look, I guess it would be tricky due to the size of the sb3 internals, sorry to dissapoint.
P

JJZolx
2009-01-21, 15:18
Photoshop I'm afraid, just playing to see how it would look, I guess it would be tricky due to the size of the sb3 internals, sorry to dissapoint.

It could be done with an SB2, however. The screen isn't attached, so you're not forced to use a tall case. You also have external antennas, so don't have to worry about case material. Otherwise SB2 and SB3 are nearly identical.

Editorp
2009-10-27, 11:11
You are right Jim, SB2 and FM3 now purchased from eBay, all I need now is time to do it, along with the other 1001 little projects.

P