PDA

View Full Version : 7.2.1 problem: web interface hangs

Brian Ritchie
2008-10-23, 16:31
(I've reported this to Logislim by email, but it can't hurt to see if it rings any bells here as well...)

Using the default web interface (under Firefox 3.0.3), it sits permanently at "Loading...", displaying most bits except for the playlist. None (*) of the items under Music Library work (nothing happens). The player controls (on the web interface) still work, and I can switch between players. The currently-playing track is displayed and updates OK. I tried clearing FFox's cache and reloading, but it makes no difference.

(*) minor update: I've since discovered that some menu items *do* work, including Music Folder. Custom Browse works, but then none of its items work. Artists, Albums, Genres, Years, New Music and Playlists definitely don't work.

I tried Fishbone, briefly; it was even worse - no player display at all, and most menus missing.

The Controller interface seems perfectly fine.

I had this problem with the first 7.2 release too, but didn't quite get round to reporting it (except in these forums!) before 7.2.1 came out, sorry; I simply went back to SC 7.1 (which worked fine).

(Actually, it wasn't simple: I went as far as wiping the SC cache and rebuilding from scratch - which took ages and did no good. I'm unwilling to try that again!)

Has anyone else had this problem, but got past it?

-- Brian

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2.1 - 23630 @ Tue Oct 21 07:44:57 PDT 2008 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.99
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Platform Architecture: 586

pippin
2008-10-23, 16:49
I've seen that before.
For me it was incompatible plugins.
Try disabling some of them. Dynamic Playlists is a good candidate, are you sure you have Erland's latest updates on this installed?

Siduhe
2008-10-23, 16:57
I've had this problem a couple of times with Firefox. You're right that clearing the browser cache doesn't work but a clear and rescan does seem to work. Do you have any extensions installed for Firefox like the noscript extension?

Brian Ritchie
2008-10-23, 17:56
I've seen that before.
For me it was incompatible plugins.
Try disabling some of them. Dynamic Playlists is a good candidate, are you sure you have Erland's latest updates on this installed?

Yup, that was it; at least, disabling umpteen of them did the trick. Can't believe I didn't think of trying that, nor even to check for plugin updates at the same time as SC.

Thanks! Better file an update on that support ticket now...

-- Brian

derekj
2008-10-27, 07:53
i've had this problem for pretty much every version of the server software i've used, with every browser i have tried. I have minimal firefox extensions (PDF, Quicktime, shockwave, java, itunes detector) as i only use this PC as an audio center.

THIS PROBLEM IS INCREDIBLY ANNOYING AND I AM ON THE VERGE OF BAILING ON SLIM DEVICES. It works fine from the hardware end with the remote, but the web interface is basically useless. I have tried everything i've read on these boards and it simply doesn't work. Try a playlist with more than 15 songs and it just never even bothers to draw. God forbid you have it set to shuffle-play - USELESS ON THE WEB END.

There have been enough software upgrades at this point where I should not be having this problem. If there is a conflict with non-slimdevices software (a PC driver, etc), surely that would have been identified before and would exist in the the FAQ.

any ideas? or any good recommendations for replacement technology? I've about had it with this - the audio quality is good, but the usability just flat out SUCKS.

DJ

mvalera
2008-10-27, 08:23
I'm sorry you have not found you solution in the community forums and Wiki. Your best bet is to contact support directly for help:

http://www.slimdevices.com/redir.html?http://slimdevices.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/slimdevices.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Mike

Brian Ritchie
2008-10-28, 18:37
i've had this problem for pretty much every version of the server software i've used [...] Try a playlist with more than 15 songs and it just never even bothers to draw. God forbid you have it set to shuffle-play

This doesn't sound like the problem I had; it wouldn't even list a one-track playlist. That was fixed by disabling out-of-date copies of SqueezeCenter plugins. I've since updated them, and all remains well.

If browsing is working at all, but degrades as the playlist size increases, this suggests a performance bottleneck somewhere, either in the server or on the PC that's running the browser (if they're different). If the same thing happens with browsing on another PC, then perhaps your server is underpowered or in some way misconfigured (it would seem odd if it could serve music OK but not web content).

-- Brian