PDA

View Full Version : lower signal levels in duet-optimal settings

jmschnur
2008-10-23, 09:20
1. I have been getting ~2500 to ~3000 throughput for my new duet receiver. What odes htis mean in terms of quality? Should limit the bitrates being sent to this receiver?

2. What has been the success of using repeaters with the duet and the boombox. For me to use a boobox I will need to bost the signal a good deal in the upper floors and deck of my home? If uscessful what repeaters are good ot use. I have FIOS installed actiontec wireless
router.

Joel

DeVerm
2008-10-23, 19:07
1. I have been getting ~2500 to ~3000 throughput for my new duet receiver. What odes htis mean in terms of quality? Should limit the bitrates being sent to this receiver?

Assuming you have no other significant traffic on your wifi while testing, and that you have a 54 Mbps router, it means that at least half of the packets transmitted on your wifi fail. You should try to improve that figure instead of working around it by lowering bitrates (which means lower sound quality).

2. What has been the success of using repeaters with the duet and the boombox. For me to use a boobox I will need to bost the signal a good deal in the upper floors and deck of my home? If uscessful what repeaters are good ot use. I have FIOS installed actiontec wireless router.

Repeaters are not the way to go. Pls. read the 5 points I listed for improving your wifi in this post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=346711&postcount=15

cheers,
Nick.

jmschnur
2008-10-24, 09:56
Thanks!

After reading your note I got a Hawking 15db corner antenna for my Actiontec router. The router is from FIOS and required at the moment by them.

The signal on the reciever jumped from 28 to 56. However the throguhput did not.

For wma lossless what is the lowest acceptaple throughput? I now have 1000 at 100%.

After your response I will disable the "B" setting on the G+B choice.

I do have several wireless devices. MY SB 3 passess 5000 at the current settings-but it is closer with a singal of 91.

Thanks for such detialed and good advice.

joel

DeVerm
2008-10-24, 10:16
The signal on the reciever jumped from 28 to 56. However the throguhput did not.

For wma lossless what is the lowest acceptaple throughput? I now have 1000 at 100%.

After your response I will disable the "B" setting on the G+B choice.

I do have several wireless devices. MY SB 3 passess 5000 at the current settings-but it is closer with a singal of 91.

Hmm.. the external antenna works well (good first step!) because signal level doubled. One would assume it would make a difference for your receiver. Try turning the SBR in different directions as it has two internal antenna's that are somewhat directional. First turn horizontal in 45 degree steps (4 steps total = 180 degrees is enough) and check level after each step. Next, try moving it a couple of inches in different directions on the table/shelf you have put the receiver (an inch can make a big difference) and next try turning in a vertical plane.

Also, I would advise you to put the receiver next to your SB3 (just for test) and see what happens. Or even closer to your router, no need for amp/speakers etc. just the receiver. If you never get a 5000 rating, there's something wrong, but also remember to stop other wifi traffic during that test.

I can't tell you how much you need for wma but 1000 is probably borderline or just enough for lossless. 2000 with some errors is enough I think.

Yes, choosing G-only will make a big difference and make sure you do the "short pre-amble" too. Just check if everything else keeps working when you tweak these settings but these 2 shouldn't give any problems. As your SB3 does 5000, your receiver should be able to do that when you move it to a good position even without changing settings on the wifi router. It's just that when you run the "5000 test" on both SB's simultaniously that the wifi settings can make a difference.

cheers,
Nick.

ajkidle
2008-10-24, 11:06
Repeaters are not the way to go.

Wish I'd seen this before picking up a Linsys WRE54g off eBay a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping to expand my WiFi range so I could take a Boom (future purchase) outside. From your posts you're obviously very knowledgeable on the topic, would you mind explaining a bit why this was a dumb way to go?

jmschnur
2008-10-24, 15:07
The SB3 gives much better network thoughput (5000) then the Duet receiver in the same location (3000).

Good idea to check. So at the moment I have set up two slim servers-one for the high throughput sb3 the other limited to 356kb for the Duet Contoller.
I did his since in my actual location for hte duet receiver I am only gettting 1000 at best with lots of drop outs.

Do you think an amp would help me out here?

It will be very difficult to move my wireless router to a more central location in the house.

Joel