PDA

View Full Version : Duet through existing 'Hi-Fi' - Big Volume Difference

socistep
2008-10-21, 09:23
Hi All,

As I save up for some better equipment I am currently playing my Duet through my Sony Hi-Fi which I have had for 6/7 years, via analog cable. I'm at work at present but will edit the post later with the actual model.

The sound is pretty good however there is a big difference in volume on both Squeezenetwork and my music files (I have checked that no replay gain on etc.) I have to have the Hi-Fi turned to max to get a good base volume level to then control via the controller, this gets turned from 30 to 15 for a similar volume on cd.

Does anyone else experience this for similar set-ups? Also if people have 'better' equipment, how does the volume level for say FLACs via a SB versus a CD.

Thanks
Ian

iPhone
2008-10-21, 11:17
Hi All,

As I save up for some better equipment I am currently playing my Duet through my Sony Hi-Fi which I have had for 6/7 years, via analog cable. I'm at work at present but will edit the post later with the actual model.

The sound is pretty good however there is a big difference in volume on both Squeezenetwork and my music files (I have checked that no replay gain on etc.) I have to have the Hi-Fi turned to max to get a good base volume level to then control via the controller, this gets turned from 30 to 15 for a similar volume on cd.

Does anyone else experience this for similar set-ups? Also if people have 'better' equipment, how does the volume level for say FLACs via a SB versus a CD.

Thanks
Ian

There is a volume difference between SC and SN on every Slim Device I have on my network. Basically, we are dealing with two different sources.

My question for you is what inputs are you using for what devices? Are you comparing line level to line level between a SB and a CD.

Howard Passman
2008-10-21, 11:23
Hi All,

Thanks
Ian

In SqueezeCenter settings, I believe it's under Player and the Audio there is a volume setting. Make sure this is set at 0. It actually works as an attenuator so any number you put in there will decrease the player output.

I'm not at home so I can't check where it is for sure. Can anyone verify this for him?

Howard

alZmtbr
2008-10-21, 15:09
The player settings are different when on SqueezeNetwork - you also will need to check the volume settings there as well.

http://www.squeezenetwork.com/user/login

Now why does the volume effect both digital and analogue when on SN???

socistep
2008-10-22, 06:23
The player settings are different when on SqueezeNetwork - you also will need to check the volume settings there as well.

http://www.squeezenetwork.com/user/login

Now why does the volume effect both digital and analogue when on SN???

*Update*

This is the unit I use

http://www.sony.com.au/catalog/product.jsp?id=CMTCP100

Not a bad basic micro system, however I do get a big volume difference for both SN & SC compared to CD.

Will check the settings on SN to see if I can improve this. I currently just use the supplied analogue cable from the SBR into the micro hi-fi, how do others similar systems compare ?

aubuti
2008-10-22, 07:02
Not a bad basic micro system, however I do get a big volume difference for both SN & SC compared to CD.
From your first post I'm not clear how you're making this comparison, since you say you set the hifi volume to max and then control volume via SBC. Have you tried doing it the other way around, ie, set your SB to max volume, and then control overall volume on the Sony? That's the most direct comparison to your CD output.

Phil Leigh
2008-10-22, 07:31
From your first post I'm not clear how you're making this comparison, since you say you set the hifi volume to max and then control volume via SBC. Have you tried doing it the other way around, ie, set your SB to max volume, and then control overall volume on the Sony? That's the most direct comparison to your CD output.

...and will also give you the best sound!
Set the Sony to the max level you ever want to hear (with the SB on full) and then adjust to taste using the SBC volume control

socistep
2008-10-22, 08:35
...and will also give you the best sound!
Set the Sony to the max level you ever want to hear (with the SB on full) and then adjust to taste using the SBC volume control

My comparison is completely non technical and involves playing a flac album through the SBR and controlling the volume via the SBC, as mentioned before I have to set the volume to max on the Sony to get a range of volume on the SBC that I'm happy with. I've then played the same album direct on CD and it is a lot louder.

I haven't tried setting the volume to max on the SBR then controlling via Sony remote, will give that a whirl.

I imagine its simply to do with how good the micro system is but am interested in other peoples experiences, it seems a lot of people are playing the SBR through decent kit and wouldn't get problems like this?

*Puts another pound in the piggy bank*

aubuti
2008-10-22, 09:27
My comparison is completely non technical and involves playing a flac album through the SBR and controlling the volume via the SBC, as mentioned before I have to set the volume to max on the Sony to get a range of volume on the SBC that I'm happy with. I've then played the same album direct on CD and it is a lot louder.

I haven't tried setting the volume to max on the SBR then controlling via Sony remote, will give that a whirl.

I imagine its simply to do with how good the micro system is but am interested in other peoples experiences, it seems a lot of people are playing the SBR through decent kit and wouldn't get problems like this?

*Puts another pound in the piggy bank*
I doubt the quality of your micro system is the issue. Rather, the comparison you are doing is apples vs. oranges, because the CD is presumably feeding 100% of its line output into your system's amp. That should be roughly the same level you get if you set the Duet to 100%. If you're setting the Duet much lower than that, then of course it won't be as loud as the CD for any given volume setting on the Sony.

socistep
2008-10-22, 12:45
I doubt the quality of your micro system is the issue. Rather, the comparison you are doing is apples vs. oranges, because the CD is presumably feeding 100% of its line output into your system's amp. That should be roughly the same level you get if you set the Duet to 100%. If you're setting the Duet much lower than that, then of course it won't be as loud as the CD for any given volume setting on the Sony.

Yep you were right, I've set the SBC to max and then controlled with the Sony remote and the volume is now near enough the same as the CD output, I'll leave it like this from now. Thanks all for your help

Ian