PDA

View Full Version : SB2 dying?

relen
2008-10-21, 02:37
I wonder if anyone can suggest a course of action for the following.

Last night my original SB2 started misbehaving and I wonder if this is indicating the end of its useful life or if there are other possibilities.

While playing (or not for that matter), the display suddenly goes off for a period of seconds. During this time it continues playing, but if I tell it to play something else (from the web interface) during this period it ignores me. When it comes back it is very confused about where it is in the track and may suddenly jump to the correct track. Or not. When the display is visible, the unit follows instructions from the web interface as normal.

The behaviour appears the same whether it's running wireless or wired Ethernet.

The power supply seems to be running at a higher temperature than that of the other units (SB3s) I have, but this may be normal. It is possible there was a power irregularity recently (though my UPS claims there wasn't) as I have had an external hard drive and an ethernet switch go down in the past week, and in the former case at least, partial failure of the power supply seems to be the cause.

The two SB3s I have in the house are behaving normally.

The server is v 7.1 running on a Mac Mini with OS X 10.5.5.

Any observations welcome.

Thanks!
--Richard E

funkstar
2008-10-21, 03:59
To rule out the power supply, you could swap it with one from an SB3.

It sounds like the unit is loosing contact with the server and just playing what is in the buffer.

Have you tried a factory re-set? or a Xilinx reset?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/PlayerFirmware

relen
2008-10-21, 04:03
Thanks for the helpful comments.

I'm sure I can find the reset info on the site here, but a Xilinx reset I know not of. Can you let me know how this is accomplished?

Yes, I noticed the PSUs were similar, and I intend to try that.

I think the unit plays for longer than the buffer length when the display is dark, btw.

Thanks!
--Richard E

funkstar
2008-10-21, 04:05
I'm sure I can find the reset info on the site here, but a Xilinx reset I know not of. Can you let me know how this is accomplished?
Have a look at the link to the Wiki page in my previous post.

relen
2008-10-21, 05:37
Aaargh. It would help if I could read. Sorry!

Thanks!
--Richard E