PDA

View Full Version : Duet

WKB
2008-10-21, 02:26
I've had the remote in the cradle for 5 hours now but the battery indicator is stuck at 50% charged. What should one see when the unit is charging properly & does it get warm ?

Thanks.

Howard Passman
2008-10-21, 02:46
I've had the remote in the cradle for 5 hours now but the battery indicator is stuck at 50% charged. What should one see when the unit is charging properly & does it get warm ?

Thanks.

Is it a new SBC? If it is, run it down and charge it back up a few times before worrying. Lithium ion batteries are a bit weird the first few charges, but smooth out with time.

It will get warm. Not hot.

Howard

WKB
2008-10-21, 03:12
Yes, brand new from Amazon yesterday. I put it on to charge at 6pm last night and the screen defaulted to a clock face. I checked on it at 8 and the clock had frozen. I left it until 11pm but it was still only half charged which I suppose is what it was shipped with. I have taken it to work this morning to try to charge again but the battery has moved to the red zone & I can't get the clock face to re-appear. The cradle is cold. Sounds like I've got a dud battery/cradle.

Thanks.

WKB
2008-10-21, 05:11
I've spoken to Logitech & was unimpressed with their rather vague response. Before I send the thing back to Amazon - which I don't want to do - can anyone advise if there is anything else I can try to get it going. I can't find many references to this problem so I wonder if I am being thick.

Thanks.

Howard Passman
2008-10-21, 06:56
I've spoken to Logitech & was unimpressed with their rather vague response. Before I send the thing back to Amazon - which I don't want to do - can anyone advise if there is anything else I can try to get it going. I can't find many references to this problem so I wonder if I am being thick.

Thanks.

...your SBC froze? Does anything on the Controller work? Have you tried a hard reset? Mine doesn't happen often now, but when it does, I shut it off, take the battery out and then reverse. Seems to clear lots of things up. The battery should charge regardless of the SBC connection to SC or even network.

Again, I would try running it down and then recharging. I am curious though, is the Controller frozen or just the battery display?

Howard

P.S. Customer support, just like any other, is hit or miss. Back in the beginning I never got decent support so I turned to the forum. Others will disagree, but.... The DUET is more difficult than the other SB's to get running, but once you get it going, it's seems to be fairly stable. That and you learn how to take care of the little things so quickly and from second nature that you don't even realize they are happening :-) Hang in there.

maggior
2008-10-21, 07:38
My experience was that the battery didn't get warm when it charged up. This surprised me. It must be a small current that is used to charge it.

When you drop the controller into the cradle, do you hear a sound from the controller? You should. Unless you've turned the sounds off. If you hear that sound, that means you've got a good electrical connection with the charger and the controller at least thinks it's charging the battery. Make sure that there is nothing in the bottom of the cradle and also ensure that the controller is sitting straight in it when you put it in.

Other than the freezing, did you have the duet up and running?

I found it a little confusing setting my duet up when I first got it. It's worth being persistent with it - it's a great product.

WKB
2008-10-21, 08:30
Yeah, had it talking to the Qnap 109 briefly late last night via ethernet but the response time was very slow. Doesn't make a sound when put in cradle. Basically when I switch it on I get "Free your music", a jingle, then "battery low please charge me". It's been on the cradle all day but is obviously not charging.

WKB
2008-10-21, 10:07
Could anyone advise whether the remote has to be switched on before it is put on the charger, as if I put mine immediately back on it after "Goodbye" has been on the screen it won't work.

coma
2008-10-21, 10:52
I've always made sure the remote is turned ON before placing it on the charger. I believe it won't charge otherwise.

maggior
2008-10-21, 11:01
Ah, yes, I believe you are right. I actually never turn mine off. Mine is set to blank the screen after a small amount of time after being placed in the cradle. This way, it is instant on when I pick it up.

So this begs the question of how do you charge a completely dead battery? I guess you can turn the controller on while it is in the charger.

If your batter is totally dead now, you might want to try that.

Howard Passman
2008-10-21, 11:28
Ah, yes, I believe you are right. I actually never turn mine off. Mine is set to blank the screen after a small amount of time after being placed in the cradle. This way, it is instant on when I pick it up.

So this begs the question of how do you charge a completely dead battery? I guess you can turn the controller on while it is in the charger.

If your batter is totally dead now, you might want to try that.

... that should work. I would think it should charge even if the SBC is off. Most devices do. I may try that if I can run mine down a little tonight.

Howard

coma
2008-10-21, 11:37
Actually, I've only been able to get it to charge when the controller is turned on. And when the battery is totally dead, I had to place it in the cradle to turn it on before charging it up again.

maggior
2008-10-21, 11:42
Now that we are talking about this, I remember being confused about this when I first got my Duet. You would think that it would charge whether it is on or off, but it doesn't.

Hopefully this is the issue that the OP has run into.