PDA

View Full Version : Better sound: Boom or SBR with Audioengine 2s?

StuartC
2008-10-21, 01:11
I have a Duet with the SBR driving a pair of Audioengine 2s which I've been using in the dining room, I also recently got a Boom for the bedroom. I've decided to move the SBR to the lounge and hook it up to the main system in there and now I'm wondering what to replace it with in the dining room; another SBR/SB3 or a Boom.

As a test I put the Boom and the SBR/Audioengines in the dining room together and played a variety of tracks, pausing one and starting the other back and forth to compare. At first my feeling was that the SBR/Audioengine combo gave a warmer, richer sound and the Boom was a bit more hollow and light. Then I tweaked the bass, trebble and StereoXL on the Boom (why can't you do this with the SBR?) and it started to feel much richer. So much so that I got to the stage where I was thinking the SBR/Audioengine combo was sounding a bit woolly!

So I'm interested in other opinions about the comparative sound of the Boom vs. SBR with powered speakers. Have I fooled myself with my unscientific listening test?

Howard Passman
2008-10-21, 02:26
I have a Duet with the SBR driving a pair of Audioengine 2s which I've been using in the dining room, I also recently got a Boom for the bedroom. I've decided to move the SBR to the lounge and hook it up to the main system in there and now I'm wondering what to replace it with in the dining room; another SBR/SB3 or a Boom.

As a test I put the Boom and the SBR/Audioengines in the dining room together and played a variety of tracks, pausing one and starting the other back and forth to compare. At first my feeling was that the SBR/Audioengine combo gave a warmer, richer sound and the Boom was a bit more hollow and light. Then I tweaked the bass, trebble and StereoXL on the Boom (why can't you do this with the SBR?) and it started to feel much richer. So much so that I got to the stage where I was thinking the SBR/Audioengine combo was sounding a bit woolly!

So I'm interested in other opinions about the comparative sound of the Boom vs. SBR with powered speakers. Have I fooled myself with my unscientific listening test?

While I haven't done any critical listening tests between the two, I have done some listening. Usually I don't have to get to focused to hear the difference between two set ups unless they are very very close in audio quality. I would say, at worst, the boom output is very, very close to the SBR. I've been using A5's to listen to it and admittedly, neither (A5 or A2)is the best judge of audio capabilites. To really tell if there's a difference, you'd have to hook it up to a high quality 2 channel system. But then if you have to do that, is there a decernable difference for your listening set up. I'd say no.

Now that said, I'll throw this in. I'm on SC 7.3 and enjoying listening to my SBC through headphones. I then tried it on a set of A5's. Not so good, but o.k.. About the quality of an iPod even when playing the largest .flac files. Then I played it through my 2 channel set up. Whew, not so good. The SBC isn't good enough for a system that reveals so much detail. I don't know if it's the internal DACs or the processing, but I bet it's both.

Don't get me wrong, through a good set of headphones or even a set of decent buds the SBC is easy listening.

Anyhoo, that's my experience and opinion. Neither worth warm... well you know :-)

Howard

Robin Bowes
2008-10-22, 01:22
StuartC wrote:

> So I'm interested in other opinions about the comparative sound of the
> Boom vs. SBR with powered speakers. Have I fooled myself with my
> unscientific listening test?

Who cares?!!

Use whatever you think sounds the best - anyone else's opinion is
irrelevant.

R.

Phil Karn Jr, KA9Q
2008-10-22, 17:07
I just got my Boom. Works great as a network player. I hooked my iPod up
to the aux input and found that the gain is VERY low. With the iPod and
Boom both cranked all the way up, I can just hear it across the room.

What is the rated sensitivity of the Boom aux input?

Phil Karn
2008-10-22, 18:05
I just found the aux gain setting in the squeezecenter config page. It was
at 50%. Turning it to 100% helped, but it's still not as high as it should
be.