PDA

View Full Version : anyone know? non-network way to send audio?

MrSinatra
2008-10-20, 19:56
hey all,

anyone know of a non-networked way to send audio from a computer to a receiver, (wirelessly of course)?

i have a friend who can't handle the cost/tech of slim. i don't even think the old school "RCA Lyra wireless" setup is good for this.

basically, what i'm looking to do is hook up a "xmtr" to one half of a rca-minijack splitter, (y cable) and his computer speakers to the other.

the wireless receiver would then receive the signal and put it out over his stereo which is in his shop, (i wouldn't think more than 50 feet max, probably less). winamp will play the tunes. this will keep his computer speakers and shop speakers in sync, and he is basically comfortable with winamp.

i'm a little worried with the sound quality, as i assume such a solution will be FM / RF modulated... but reasonable "FM Stereo" quality should suffice.

any ideas?

iPhone
2008-10-20, 20:51
hey all,

anyone know of a non-networked way to send audio from a computer to a receiver, (wirelessly of course)?

i have a friend who can't handle the cost/tech of slim. i don't even think the old school "RCA Lyra wireless" setup is good for this.

basically, what i'm looking to do is hook up a "xmtr" to one half of a rca-minijack splitter, (y cable) and his computer speakers to the other.

the wireless receiver would then receive the signal and put it out over his stereo which is in his shop, (i wouldn't think more than 50 feet max, probably less). winamp will play the tunes. this will keep his computer speakers and shop speakers in sync, and he is basically comfortable with winamp.

i'm a little worried with the sound quality, as i assume such a solution will be FM / RF modulated... but reasonable "FM Stereo" quality should suffice.

any ideas?

The first product that comes to mind is the AudioEngine W1. It is USB based. Plug one into his PC, plug the other into either a USB battery pack or fixed charger at the shop receiver location. Plug the RCAs into the Shop Receiver and he is listening to tunes wirelessly without having to setup a WLAN. Cost $149

Some of the stuff in the following ideas might have to be found on EBAY as the products are no longer in production.

One idea would be the Recton Wireless headphone TX/RX. It has a TX that one plugged the source into which transmitted to the small belt clip headphone receiver. He could plug the PC into the transmitter and use a mini to stereo RCA males into his shop receiver set at a fixed line level from the wireless receiver unit.

The video Rabbit could also be used without using the video part (just the audio).

I think some of the X10 stuff had a way to get audio over the air with a TX/RX or though the household wiring (or one of their competitors).

Those are my first thoughts, good luck.

amcluesent
2008-10-21, 00:04
You could look at the Sitecom Wireless Audio transmitter (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/225777/sitecom-wireless-audio-transmitter.html)

peter
2008-10-21, 00:48
amcluesent wrote:
> You could look at the 'Sitecom Wireless Audio transmitter'
> (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/225777/sitecom-wireless-audio-transmitter.html)
>

It's such a pity it adds an extra and wholly unnecessary DAC-ADC step.
Instead of one digital to analog domain conversion you end up with three!
Why don't they make these things with digital inputs?

Regards,
Peter