PDA

View Full Version : scanning library issues Duet & vista

MOMENTUM
2008-10-20, 12:34
Having some issues with my Duet systm. Just picked up up and it works great.

My issue is I have 1600 cds (wav) on a 2 TB external hard drive. after scanning I am missing 20% of the albums. The albums show up in Media center. sor do nt follow the way its arranged in my music folder.

I am using vista prem home and all music is sorted Atrist / Album / Tracks

Any idea how a can correct this..I have rescaned twice...where does squeezecenter grab its info from? could this be a media center issue?

Thanx

mo

mvalera
2008-10-20, 14:50
You might want to inspect your tags with a tag editing program. The scan is looking at the tags, not the file structure.

Mike

MOMENTUM
2008-10-20, 15:30
I went through the windows media player process while ripping them in...prior to going to vista all files showed up correctly.

I have not used a tag editor before...which one do you suggest and how does it work

thanx!

peter
2008-10-20, 23:37
MOMENTUM wrote:
> I went through the windows media player process while ripping them
> in...prior to going to vista all files showed up correctly.
>
> I have not used a tag editor before...which one do you suggest and how
> does it work
>

Mmm, I didn't know WAV files could have tags. That's one of the reasons
you should seriously consider converting your collection to FLAC. The
other reason is that it will save you up to 50% disk space and bandwidth
while streaming to your SB's.

Contrary to popular belief this will not hurt your sound quality. FLACs
sound *exactly* the same as WAVs because FLAC is a lossless compression
protocol. Use dbpoweramp (free version) to convert your files and then
use mp3tag to edit your tags. It's generally considered the best one and
it's free as well.

Regards,
Peter

MOMENTUM
2008-10-21, 06:28
This is quite confusing..

1st off I only want wav. No precessing no compression. I am selling off my collection and want / have pure files.

While dumping in via media player some showed all track info& artÖsome didnít (where does windows get this info). The ones that didnít. I right clicked on the album and choose find album/artist. This says itís a meta file and names the track and associates a picture. So all 1600 cds have art/tracks etc in both media center and in media center.

No that I got a new vista machine a good % of the track/artwork was messed up. As I start trying to find the info(tracks) again the original art starts poping up.

Is this stored in a folder in windows? If so where? Iíd like to preserve this file in my external hard drive.

Now that I have gone through all the info again is there a way to be sure I donít have to go through this again. Can TAG&RENAME see this info and permanently store it in subfolders?

All music is filed ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACKS.

As I said before I want to keep it all wav. One option is to convert all my filed to flac and use that library for media center / squeeze center and keep my external hard drive for a backup. Is there an easy process to do this to my entire collection while using the track/art info that is currently present?

Thanx for your help

MOMENTUM
2008-10-21, 21:54
Bump for more info

thanx

mherger
2008-10-21, 23:46
Do yourself a favor and convert the WAVs to FLAC with proper tagging.
It'll be easier for you and for us :-). FLAC is lossless, no difference to
WAV, bit by bit.

Michael