PDA

View Full Version : Any Video on the horizon?

woodhome
2008-10-20, 12:27
There'll be a Squeezebox under the Christmas tree this year, but next to it will be a new flat TV to replace the nearly 30 year old dinosaur we still use. Since my DVD's and my music files all live on the same drive array, and the video and the music all play through the same speakers, it sure would be nice if my squeezebox could handle the video too. Anyone know if anything like that is on the horizon?

aubuti
2008-10-20, 13:26
Logitech / Slim Devices have a policy of not commenting on future product releases, but I would be very surprised to see them go video in the near future.

autopilot
2008-10-20, 14:53
And hopefully never.

Mark Miksis
2008-10-20, 14:58
I'm sure it's no coincidence that it's called the Logitech "Streaming Media Business Unit" (not Audio), but that doesn't mean we'll see anything soon...

funkstar
2008-10-21, 01:45
I'm sure it's no coincidence that it's called the Logitech "Streaming Media Business Unit" (not Audio), but that doesn't mean we'll see anything soon...
And streamed media isn't just video and audio. Photos, RSS feeds, weather data, all can be classed as media. I believe the Controller does them all already :)

peter
2008-10-21, 02:36
funkstar wrote:
> Fletch;351614 Wrote:
>
>> I'm sure it's no coincidence that it's called the Logitech "Streaming
>> Media Business Unit" (not Audio), but that doesn't mean we'll see
>> anything soon...
>>
> And streamed media isn't just video and audio. Photos, RSS feeds,
> weather data, all can be classed as media. I believe the Controller
> does them all already :)
>

Photo's, RSS feeds and weather data are not 'streamed'...
Streaming requires a continuous feed of data and usually involves buffering.

The things you name are just simple periodic updates en one-time transfers.
Audio and video are streamed, so Fletch's got a point.

Regards,
Peter

DoomWolf
2008-10-21, 15:32
Personally, I think the Popcorn Hour would fit nicely into Logitech's Streaming Media division. A bit of Slim Devices/Logitech magic and that could become an awesome product (and they could give it a better name).

funkstar
2008-10-22, 01:40
Personally, I think the Popcorn Hour would fit nicely into Logitech's Streaming Media division. A bit of Slim Devices/Logitech magic and that could become an awesome product (and they could give it a better name).
And a better case :)

woodhome
2008-10-22, 12:29
Thanks for the input, and I'm sorry if I touched a sore spot Autopilot. I'll wind up resolving the video problem somehow, and spending some $ to do it. Like lots of people, there's no separation anymore between my audio equipment and my TV/Video player. It's all one system. Slim Devices are a great product and I'd rather have a system where I know everything will play nicely together. So if you're listening product development...

autopilot
2008-10-23, 03:15
Thanks for the input, and I'm sorry if I touched a sore spot Autopilot. I'll wind up resolving the video problem somehow, and spending some $ to do it. Like lots of people, there's no separation anymore between my audio equipment and my TV/Video player. It's all one system. Slim Devices are a great product and I'd rather have a system where I know everything will play nicely together. So if you're listening product development...

It not a sore point, i would just prefer to see Slim Devices focus on what they are proven to be good at. Most all-in-one devices tend to be "jack of all trades, master of none". Horrible interfaces, watered down redundant feature sets which require a TV to operate and overly complicated - because they are trying to be too many things to too many people. Another reason I much prefer seperation to because i don't like to have all my eggs in one basket. For example, i have prefer a seperate mobile phone, sat nav, camera and MP3 player - They all do there jobs better than an all-in-one devices, and if a better sat nav comes on the market i can upgrade that and not have to also buy a new phone and MP3 player which i am happy with. It would be cheaper too.

It's also a mistake to just think you can just bolt on video playback. It might be fairly easy to bold audio playback to a video streamer (because they already do it in a way), but not the other way around - and especially with the Slim Devices model of doing things. Video is a whole new ball game, of HDMI etc. There is no way you could really add video to Squeezecenter and the Squeezeboxes themselves - which are thin clients, powered by a server - would need much much more power (HD decoding takes a lot more processing power). So although i guess it could be done, the "Slim Device" ethos would need to change, i and would not like to see such a radical change to a winning formula.

Also, the added development overhead could be detrimental. Squeezebox owners enjoy frequent software updates and new features. If they started doing video work too, you could be sure the updates and new feures would be less frequent. It would also be in danger of quickly becoming bloatware, like iTunes has, and Squeezecenter is arguably already more power hungry than some poeople would like. Let companies concentrate on what they are good at - Lexus make nice cars but would they make great Motorcycles too? They might do, sure, but it's probably best they let other people do that.

That said, they may well already have something like the SqueezeboxVideo(tm) on the drawing board, they certainly have a tallented development team. But i would personally rather see it as a seperate line rather than some multimedia mish mash. But maybe thats just me.

morris_minor
2008-10-23, 03:54

Has anyone got a Popcorn Hour? Would this be able to play DVD images or VideoTS folders from a hard drive - it looks like it should be able to, but some confirmation (or not) from users would be helpful.

[Yes - silly name - on a par with "Boom"!]

Thanks,
Bob

peter
2008-10-23, 05:29
autopilot wrote:

> people. Another reason I much prefer seperation to because i don't like
> to have all my eggs in one basket. For example, i have prefer a
> seperate mobile phone, sat nav, camera and MP3 player - They all do
> there jobs better than an all-in-one devices, and if a better sat nav
> comes on the market i can upgrade that and not have to also buy a new
> phone and MP3 player which i am happy with. It would be cheaper too.
>

That's a popular opinion, but it's fast becoming old fashioned.
Especially with mobile devices it's a giant advantage to have only one
device in your pocket instead of two. I used to carry a PDA (HP100LX)
and a phone around and they were a major hassle to carry arround in your
pocket. Now, I have a smartphone that does the job of two. Much better.
It also has a GPS receiver which I would use if the software wasn't so
terrible. If the software were good enough I'd use it. The fact that
many smartphones are so bad at being MP3 players is due to terrible
software. The competition of the iPhone will soon force phone makers to
improve their mp3 playing ability. It's just not that hard to do.

I wouldn't mind a video squeezebox, but I suspect it's pretty hard to do
right and integrate it properly with the current software.

Regards,
Peter

funkstar
2008-10-23, 05:30
My problem with a video device is i woul also want it to do TV as well. And from there it gets really complicated.

I did actually come up with a potential model SD/Logitec could use when i was noodling about last night. It would mean that TV streaming was possible but also wouldn't be a requirement for the basic unit. It would also retail the slim client philosophy.

It's probably going a little out with the scope of this thread to start detailing it, but I will if someone *really* wants me to :)

(btw, it could quite easily just be a load on nonsense in my head, but it makes sense to me :) )

pberger
2008-10-23, 05:34
Has anyone got a Popcorn Hour? Would this be able to play DVD images or VideoTS folders from a hard drive - it looks like it should be able to, but some confirmation (or not) from users would be helpful.

Yes it plays nearly everything as long as it is not copy protetected, including ISO files and VideoTS folders

boxowl
2008-10-23, 05:35
Like 'autopilot' I hope to never!!!! have any video on the squeezebox

morris_minor
2008-10-23, 09:19
Yes it plays nearly everything as long as it is not copy protetected, including ISO files and VideoTS folders

Thanks . . .

autopilot
2008-10-24, 01:53
autopilot wrote:

> people. Another reason I much prefer seperation to because i don't like
> to have all my eggs in one basket. For example, i have prefer a
> seperate mobile phone, sat nav, camera and MP3 player - They all do
> there jobs better than an all-in-one devices, and if a better sat nav
> comes on the market i can upgrade that and not have to also buy a new
> phone and MP3 player which i am happy with. It would be cheaper too.
>

That's a popular opinion, but it's fast becoming old fashioned.
Especially with mobile devices it's a giant advantage to have only one
device in your pocket instead of two. I used to carry a PDA (HP100LX)
and a phone around and they were a major hassle to carry arround in your
pocket. Now, I have a smartphone that does the job of two. Much better.
It also has a GPS receiver which I would use if the software wasn't so
terrible. If the software were good enough I'd use it. The fact that
many smartphones are so bad at being MP3 players is due to terrible
software. The competition of the iPhone will soon force phone makers to
improve their mp3 playing ability. It's just not that hard to do.

I wouldn't mind a video squeezebox, but I suspect it's pretty hard to do
right and integrate it properly with the current software.

Regards,
Peter

I think you are missing my point. I realise digital convergence is increasingly forced upon us, but it swings both ways. I to also had a do-it-all Windows Mobile Smartphone - an XDA with TomTom GPS, Opera Browser, TCPMP for video and the excellent Conduits Pocket player for audio/internet radio/uPnP streaming - for a while i thought it was amazing, but i became increasingly frustrated and ended up buying dedicated Sat Nav etc too. I have met many other people that are starting to see convergence is not the answer to everything. But the point with Smartphones is they are portable and i still have GPS in my mobile for the time when i dont have my TomTom unit. But thats the thing, convergence is probably great in a mobile because you carry it in your pocket. You wont be carrying an SBv (SqueezeboxVideo) in your pocket, so the benefits are not the same. My main point still stands that separation gives you much more flexibility.

peter
2008-10-24, 02:38
autopilot wrote:
> peter;352439 Wrote:
>
>> autopilot wrote:
>>
>>
>>> people. Another reason I much prefer seperation to because i don't
>>>
>> like
>>
>>> to have all my eggs in one basket. For example, i have prefer a
>>> seperate mobile phone, sat nav, camera and MP3 player - They all do
>>> there jobs better than an all-in-one devices, and if a better sat
>>>
>> nav
>>
>>> comes on the market i can upgrade that and not have to also buy a
>>>
>> new
>>
>>> phone and MP3 player which i am happy with. It would be cheaper too.
>>>
>>>
>> That's a popular opinion, but it's fast becoming old fashioned.
>> Especially with mobile devices it's a giant advantage to have only one
>>
>> device in your pocket instead of two. I used to carry a PDA (HP100LX)
>> and a phone around and they were a major hassle to carry arround in
>> your
>> pocket. Now, I have a smartphone that does the job of two. Much better.
>>
>> It also has a GPS receiver which I would use if the software wasn't so
>>
>> terrible. If the software were good enough I'd use it. The fact that
>> many smartphones are so bad at being MP3 players is due to terrible
>> software. The competition of the iPhone will soon force phone makers to
>>
>> improve their mp3 playing ability. It's just not that hard to do.
>>
>> I wouldn't mind a video squeezebox, but I suspect it's pretty hard to
>> do
>> right and integrate it properly with the current software.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter
>>
>
> I think you are missing my point. I realise digital convergence is
> increasingly forced upon us, but it swings both ways. I to also had a
> do-it-all PDA - an XDA with TomTom GPS, Opera Browser, TCPMP for video
> and the excellent Conduits Pocket player for audio/internet radio/uPnP
> streaming - for a while i thought it was amazing, but i became
> increasingly frustrated and ended up buying dedicated Sat Nav etc too.
> I have met many other people that are starting to see convergence is
> not the answer to everything. But the point with Smartphones is they
> are -portable- and i still have GPS in my mobile for the time when i
> dont have my TomTom unit. But thats the thing, convergence is probably
> great in a mobile because you carry it in your pocket. You wont be
> carrying an SBv (SqueezeboxVideo) in your pocket, so the benefits are
> not the same. My main point still stands that separation gives you much
> more flexibility.
>

We agree mostly. For practical reasons I don't see the immediate benefit
of a Video version of the SB ( check out the ole VideoBox:
http://videobox.sourceforge.net/ ). Still if they could do it right it