PDA

View Full Version : Multiple External Drives - Multiple Formats - What's the best way to deal with this?



big_willy
2008-10-19, 12:10
I've been using 1 external drive and have been ripping my CDs with EAC into FLAC.

My friend has offered to make a copy of his music collection for me which is 1 TB in size and encoded in Apple Lossless.

So I will have 2 external drives and they with be encoded in 2 different formats. What's the best way to integrate these 2 libraries together into my slimdevices squeezebox/squeezecentre.

At the moment I'm don't even know how to make Squeezecentre read 2 different drives for "Music Library" in the settings section.

Thanks for the help guys.

Themis
2008-10-20, 01:32
- You create a directory (local or remote, as you wish), say : "/SC/main".
- Then you create in this directory one shortcut for each target music library (two in your case)
- Then you change the Squeeze Center music library by indicating the new directory "/SC/main"
- You rescan (it's automatic I think)
- You're ready

You're welcome. ;)

funkstar
2008-10-20, 01:41
- You create a directory (local or remote, as you wish), say : "/SC/main".
- Then you create in this directory one shortcut for each target music library (two in your case)
- Then you change the Squeeze Center music library by indicating the new directory "/SC/main"
- You rescan (it's automatic I think)
- You're ready

You're welcome. ;)

Then you go out and buy a copy of all your friends music, otherwise it's piracy (well it still is piracy, you are just covering yourself after the fact).

egd
2008-10-20, 01:55
and then turn yourself over to the authorities for gross breach of copyright. Seriously, if you're going to do sh1t like this don't ask for help here. I've no desire to see my use and enjoyment of these and future products curtailed because you see fit to engage in copyright abuse or because these forums are seen as condoning your actions.

peter
2008-10-20, 01:58
egd wrote:
> and then turn yourself over to the authorities for gross breach of
> copyright. Seriously, if you're going to do sh1t like this don't ask
> for help here. I've no desire to see my use and enjoyment of these
> products curtailed because you see fit to engage in copyright abuse or
> because these forums are seen as condoning your actions.
>

There's no mention of copyrighted music in his post. I'd convert the
Apple lossless files to flac if I were him.
I think DB PowerAmp converter can do that. Even the free version IIRC,
so he won't have to resort to piracy ;) It will take a while though...

Regards,
Peter

egd
2008-10-20, 02:29
There's no mention of copyrighted music in his post Good point, @big_willy: if I'm wrong accept my apologies, otherwise I stand by my first post.

funkstar
2008-10-20, 03:14
There's no mention of copyrighted music in his post.
Good point, and like egd I appologise if I'm wrong.

However, 1TB of apple lossless is at least 2,600 albums (going by my 1,300 albums in FLAC in a bit under 500GB). Thats one hell of a collection of copyright free music.

Themis
2008-10-20, 04:06
You guys make a big deal of almost nothing. People have been borrowing each other music for ages...

Only public sharing is piracy, let's not mix up everything. ;)

And what if the "friend" is the one he/she lives with ? What would you say then ? They should have two separate rooms to listen because "broadcasting is prohibited" ? C'mon, some common sense is necessary.

whatboutbob
2008-10-20, 05:00
Good point, and like egd I appologise if I'm wrong.

However, 1TB of apple lossless is at least 2,600 albums (going by my 1,300 albums in FLAC in a bit under 500GB). Thats one hell of a collection of copyright free music.

There's a hell of a lot more than that over @ archive.org (why they'd convert from flac to apple lossless on the other hand is another question...).

I've got > 4TB of copyright free music myself. *shrug*

exile
2008-10-20, 08:43
to get upset about people sharing music strikes me as ridiculous as the now ancient metallica fight against napster.

in the digital age, sharing music is what it's all about. My friends and I share all of our music. Why wouldn't you share? The argument against sharing seems naive at best.

Goodsounds
2008-10-20, 11:45
to get upset about people sharing music strikes me as ridiculous as the now ancient metallica fight against napster.


As I recall, the legal action against Napster was successful and its original business operation was shut down (for reasons everyone is familiar with). What that company is doing now is completely different.

What part of the "ancient fight" do you consider to be ridiculous?

exile
2008-10-20, 13:35
I simply think that trying to regulate and restrict the free flow of digital information is a losing proposition. I buy digital downloads of music and I think most of the people I know also purchase music legally. But the purchasing of music is just one way of acquiring music these days. There are such a variety of ways to get music today that the focus on regulation or restrictions seems futile.

androidtopp
2008-10-20, 13:49
Well, regardless of your feelings on where the money goes (artist/label/who ever), not paying for it (when it isn't specifically being made available for free) *is* against the law, pure and simple. So you're basically saying that becuase you can get away with it and not suffer any repurcussions, we should just write the law off the books.

In which case, I can think of a lot more laws that we should repeal.

egd
2008-10-20, 15:09
I don't think a discussion of right/ wrong, legalities etc. is relevant here. Personally I don't give a damn what people do in private (and we all know music sharing has been around forever), but I do care when they do things in such a way as to directly or indirectly implicate a product/ company/ forum in their activities by discussing them on public forums associated with that product/ company.

I don't want to see the RIAA taking aim at manufacturers of network music players or the like because discussion threads on their forums may imply that copyright abuse is condoned or encouraged, it definitely isn't here.

peter
2008-10-21, 01:00
egd wrote:
> I don't think a discussion of right/ wrong, legalities etc. is relevant
> here. Personally I don't give a damn what people do in private (and we
> all know music sharing has been around forever), but I do care when they
> do things in such a way as to directly or indirectly implicate a
> product/ company/ forum in their activities by discussing them on
> public forums associated with that product/ company/ forum.
>
> I don't want to see the RIAA taking aim at manufacturers of network
> music players or the like because discussion threads on their forums
> may imply that copyright abuse is condoned or encouraged.
>

I think in the early days of this forum everybody associated mp3's with
piracy.
The record companies didn't want nothing to do with that stuff.

Let's presume innocence until the perp actually confesses ;)

Regards,
Peter

strindberg
2008-10-21, 01:15
Perhaps it would also be worth pointing out that this is an international forum. Laws differ between countries. In many European countries, copying music files from a close friend's collection would be perfectly legal, even if the music in question is copyrighted.

funkstar
2008-10-21, 02:22
Perhaps it would also be worth pointing out that this is an international forum. Laws differ between countries. In many European countries, copying music files from a close friend's collection would be perfectly legal, even if the music in question is copyrighted.
But the forum is hosted in the US by a US division of a European company. So where does that leave us?

Themis
2008-10-21, 02:25
But the forum is hosted in the US by a US division of a European company. So where does that leave us?It leaves us alone, armed solely with our common sense. :)

funkstar
2008-10-21, 03:52
It leaves us alone, armed solely with our common sense. :)
Well thats us all scewed then isn't it :o)