PDA

View Full Version : controller access to password secured collection

yank
2008-10-18, 03:03
Casus;
SB3, Duet/controller (new), SqueezeCenter 7.0 on SME server (linux).
All the music on a USB drive, same box
The music collection used to be locally secured by means of the login/password option.
Just bought a Duet, but now I cannot secure the collection anymore in this manner.

On powerup the controller does not connect, and isn't asking for password either. Nor is there any menu choice, no player or other way to access the music?

I still can access the collection on my PC, through the popup login box.
I did searched all the FAQ's and other sources, but I can not find any direction.
Funny, isn't anybody else paranoid?
regards..

funkstar
2008-10-18, 04:17
The controller doesn't access you music directly, it relies on SqueezeCenter to serve it the data from it's MySQL database (gleaned from scanning tags) and artwork cache (gleaned from scanning tags and cover art in folders).

SqueezeCenter should be run as a user that has access to your library.

yank
2008-10-18, 05:56
I'm sure youre right, however; if I don't use the option in Settings-Advanced-Security-Password protection, everything is allright, so user rights etc isn't the issue, is it...?

funkstar
2008-10-18, 11:17
I'm sure youre right, however; if I don't use the option in Settings-Advanced-Security-Password protection, everything is allright, so user rights etc isn't the issue, is it...?
Which settings are you talking about exactly?

The passwortd setting in SqueezeCenter is only for the web interface and should have any effect on how the controller operates. If it does then there is a problem and likel a bug you have stumbled accross.

schiegl
2008-10-18, 11:27
yank, you're right

Settings-Advanced-Security-Password does have an impact on SB Controller operations, especially on initial setup. As i'm running the same configuration, i just can tell you how it should work: If SC isn't recognized by the controller enter the IP address, it'll then prompt for username/password. Enter these strings using the wheel (similar to a WPA Key), they're saved so you only have to do this once.

If i remember correctly username/password support for the controller has been added later and is not available in 7.0 (i'll dig a little bit)

kind regards,
Markus

schiegl
2008-10-18, 11:42
addon: according to http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8160, you need at least 7.0.1...

funkstar
2008-10-18, 11:51
addon: according to http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8160, you need at least 7.0.1...
In that case I would highly recomend installing 7.2 or even the latest nightly of 7.2.1.

yank
2008-10-18, 12:34
Well, thank you very much. I thought it just was me...
I'll consider the upgrade to 7.2 on the SME box, but I'm not sure weither all of the plugins in use today are compatible...
Will I loose something when upgrading straight over the old version?
Oh well, the word 'backup' comes to mind..

Again, thank you for listening..

20/10/2008
Upgraded, case closed..