PDA

View Full Version : which protocol and port for WOL

raven22
2008-10-17, 01:36
WOL from my SB3 and Boom work good. But I also want to be able to turn on my server over the internet from my laptop. However i can not make it to work. I downloaded a program which sends the magic packet but somehow it is not received. So I wonder which protocol (UDP, TCP) and portnumber is used by the SB3. Then i will try those settings with the software on my laptop.

peter
2008-10-17, 01:58
raven22 wrote:
> WOL from my SB3 and Boom work good. But I also want to be able to turn
> on my server over the internet from my laptop. However i can not make
> it to work. I downloaded a program which sends the magic packet but
> somehow it is not received. So I wonder which protocol (UDP, TCP) and
> portnumber is used by the SB3. Then i will try those settings with the
> software on my laptop.
>

AFAIK WOL is not on the IP layer, but on the ethernet layer below that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Regards,
Peter

syburgh
2008-10-17, 05:10
To clarify, the premise of your question is incorrect. Like DHCP, WOL works at a lower layer than TCP and UDP (so no port). There is not even an IP address involved. WOL magic packets are broadcast and identified by the target system based on its hardware (MAC) address.

How is your SB3 connected to your server (wireless, wired, and any routers involved)? How is the laptop connected to the server?

fcm4711
2008-10-17, 05:22
Hi there

There are websites which allow you to wake your server over the internet.

If you want to wake a server over the internet then indeed you need to provide the correct ip address (your routers public ip) and the mac address of the sever on your network you want to wake up.

The packet then needs to be sent to the public ip address and the router will need to be able and correctly setup to route this WOL packet to the internal network in order to wake your server.

I don't know if there is a special port assigned and used for that, but I am sure an internet search will reveal that.

Felix

peter
2008-10-17, 06:41
fcm4711 wrote:
> Hi there
>
> There are websites which allow you to wake your server over the
> internet.
>
> If you want to wake a server over the internet then indeed you need to
> provide the correct ip address (your routers public ip) and the mac
> address of the sever on your network you want to wake up.
>
> The packet then needs to be sent to the public ip address and the
> router will need to be able and correctly setup to route this WOL
> packet to the internal network in order to wake your server.
>
> I don't know if there is a special port assigned and used for that, but
> I am sure an internet search will reveal that.
>
> Felix
>

I know you can send WOL packets inside a broadcast UDP packet. I
implemented that for Videobox (before SS supported WOL I think). To be
able to send a WOL packet from the internet your route should know which
MAC address the IP used to (the PC is now sleeping) belong to. I don't
know how that works.

This seems to explain it:

http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/what-is-wake-on-lan.aspx

Regards,
Peter

tamanaco
2008-10-17, 07:05
Hi there
There are websites which allow you to wake your server over the internet.

I heard of depicus.com, but never used them. If anyone out there does, can you post your experiences here? I have used two other ways to access my SC server while I'm away. The easiest way is to use a Power Management tool to wakeup the server at the specific times that I'm likely to access it remotely. I also have an old Butterfly Thinkpad that is constantly on while I'm away with Remote Desktop Access enabled and running No-IP. Using no-ip.com I can access the dynamically assigned IP of my Router and via Remote Desktop I connect to the Thinkpad to run a little WOL app to wake up any of the computers in my house. I'm sure there are other/better ways to do this, but with my existing setup this has worked most time, but sometimes I forget to turn on the Thinkpad. I never turn off my router. I heard someone mentioned a router that internally runs an app similar to no-ip so that you always know how to get to your router if its IP is recycled. This router supposedely has a table with WOL enable clients that can be activated. Has anyone heard of such a router? I looked around, but could not find any. I think that guy was BSing.

raven22
2008-10-17, 11:49
Tried the depicus site but no luck. I forwarded the ports and made a rule for the firewall.
I also downloaded this tool, but i can't get it to work even from within my own network. http://magicpacket.free.fr/