PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter/SoftSqueeze - Sound Plays On Server Computer

DasFox
2008-10-16, 23:51
I have two computers at home with SqueezeCenter/SoftSqueeze running on one, and when I login with my IP/Port on the other computer and try to play a song I hear the song playing on the computer running the server, LOL, and I can't seem to get it to play on the one I'm trying to log in with. :(

Any help please?

THANKS

DasFox
2008-10-17, 04:54
Sorry didn't realize I needed to place Softsqueeze on all the other boxes that want to access the server.

Man I wish there was a way to just have remote boxes launch and play the local Softsqueeze, hmmmm

Or is there a way to do that?

THANKS

lrossouw
2008-10-17, 05:02
you need softsqueeze on the pc you want to listen on. in sofsqueeze settings you need to tell it which ip to look at (the ip being the pc with the squeezecenter on)

lrossouw
2008-10-17, 05:11
Sorry didn't realize I needed to place Softsqueeze on all the other boxes that want to access the server.

Man I wish there was a way to just have remote boxes launch and play the local Softsqueeze, hmmmm

Or is there a way to do that?

THANKS

a quick shortcut to get softsqueeze: goto the remote box and access the web interface of squeezecentre. click on extras in the left and then softsqueeze.

DasFox
2008-10-17, 05:26
a quick shortcut to get softsqueeze: goto the remote box and access the web interface of squeezecentre. click on extras in the left and then softsqueeze.

Yeah but this still installs it onto the remote box. I was saying it sure would be nice if it would just play off of the server instead. Not sure why it can't be made to, so you don't have to go around installing it into every box you want to play on. For instance you're going to travel and use other computers and want to access it. Maybe something for a future version todo, to have it work this way.

THANKS

androidtopp
2008-10-17, 05:43
You're wanting music to "play" on the server (meaning the actual SoftSqueeze instance is running on the server) but have the sound come out speakers attached to whatever computer you're accessing the server from? That would require streaming the audio output over RDP or something similar, which is unreliable at best.

That or you want application publishing, Citrix style, where it appears the SoftSqueeze instance is local, but it's really not. You'd still need audio re-direction to the local machine, though.

Am I misunderstanding? I think the big benefit to the whole system is that you can have independent control over many players - different songs playing on different SoftSqueeze/hardware players in different rooms of the house. If I'm reading correctly, what you're asking for is a little limiting, in that aspect.

DasFox
2008-10-17, 05:55
Sorry I wasn't being very clear here. I'm just looking at it from the standpoint of a web interface just to access that from any box, login and start playing, that's all.

I don't own any of the hardware, I'm just using squeezecenter and softsqueeze is all. I'm using these two programs because I can't find a better personal web based music server, that's all I want it for.

I just thought it would be cool if you could login anywhere and have Softsqueeze load from the server side, so you wouldn't need to even put this emulator part on another PC, but now I realize you're not installing the complete program, and first I thought this did, so my bad...

I guess it's not so bad after all this way, but it would be nice if you didn't even need this and could access Softsqueeze on a remote box to the server side app directly.

Skunk
2008-10-17, 06:07
In the past there was an option to run SoftSqueeze as a Java Applet within the browser, but that seems to have gone the way of the Dodo bird.

androidtopp
2008-10-17, 06:15
OK - that makes more sense to me now. You're looking for the ability to run SoftSqueeze from the browser, just like you can run SqueezeCenter from the browser. I dig it.

DasFox
2008-10-17, 06:19
OK - that makes more sense to me now. You're looking for the ability to run SoftSqueeze from the browser, just like you can run SqueezeCenter from the browser. I dig it.

So can this be possible for Slim Devices in the future to do this?

THANKS

slimpy
2008-10-17, 08:21
So can this be possible for Slim Devices in the future to do this?
Everything is possible, it's just a matter of priority and resources.
I don't think you will see this happen in the near and not so near future.

You can file an enhancement request at http://bugs.slimdevices.com (if there isn't one already).

Are you aware that you can use any media player software together with Squeezecenter just by pointing the player to the following URL?

http://<your-server-IP-here>:9000/stream.mp3

Once the player has connected you can select it in the web interface and queue up some tracks. You will experience some delay due to buffering in the software player and playback can only be controlled from the web interface.
You need to have lame installed for this to work as all files will be streamed as mp3.

Check out the wiki for more information: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RemoteStreaming

-s.

lrossouw
2008-10-20, 01:33
You could still launch the applet (on 7.2)

The link is:
http://yourseverip:9000/html/softsqueeze/applet.html

It is on the bottom of the softsqueeze server page.