PDA

View Full Version : Hosted SqueezeCenter

JohnsonChris
2008-10-16, 11:04
Hi all,

I have an ubuntu server with a hosting company in the UK. I'm using this server to primarily run a photo gallery. But it has a fair amount of storage so I also back-up my workfiles to it through bacula - so in essence it provides an "off-site" backup for my photo's and workfiles, wherever I am, over any network.

So I got thinking - I only have one electronic copy of all my CD's, and I remember all too well how long it took to encode all of them!! My thought was how nice it would be if I could backup my MP3's to my server, and run a copy of squeezecenter on it so I can listen to my music from my parents house, my house or work via softsqueeze or my classic players.

The problem is that I don't want Joe Bloggs to have access to my squeezecenter installation, and I want to be able to ensure it's just me who uses it. Does squeezecenter support access rules like .htaccess files?

I have thought about a VPN but it'll be a pain to access via work and the encryption overhead will have a knock on effect for any streaming.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Chris

bernt
2008-10-16, 12:10
http://www.computechgroup.com/?p=360

JohnsonChris
2008-10-16, 13:04
Thanks Bernt - I really want to avoid a VPN as the ports and protocols are not allowed from behind our work firewall - is there no other option I can use to limit access to the squeezecentre GUI and what players are able to connect?

Cheers,
Chris

bernt
2008-10-16, 13:13
I think Hamachi is hard to block so there is a big chance that it should work on your work network.

SuperQ
2008-10-16, 13:18
I'm planning on doing this on my new colo machine soon for a couple people. The easiest thing to do is use firewall rules. Ubuntu comes with a package called "ufw". See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFirewall

I'm planning on writing a simple shell script that will allow a list of firewall allow for hostname/ip lists. All I need to do is have the script do DNS lookups from time to time via cron to so I can use dyndns hostnames to allow access.

JohnsonChris
2008-10-18, 01:16
So there is definitely no simple way to control access to the interface by a simple username and password option?? from what it looks like I can only control access via "known hosts".

Chris

JohnsonChris
2008-10-18, 01:39
Sorry all - looks like I'm being dim ... the option is under Settings --> Advanced --> Security (!) .. sorry I didn't see the drop down list under the Advanced Tab.

I have another question but I'll raise it in a separate thread.
Thanks all,
Chris