PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to by-pass Squeezecentre?

logie
2008-10-16, 03:16
I have just set up my SqueezeBox Duel today, and after setting it up it all appears to be ok.
My main disappointment is that it does not seem to possible to directly transmit what is being played on my PC sound card to the HiFi unit. i.e. My Musicmatch Media player, or webs sites that I use for audio or listen again facilities.
Which, Is one of the main reasons I bought it in the first place (I currently have wires running through the house to my HiFi and I was hoping to replace them)

Basically I want to set up my music on Musicmatch or listen to my favourite websites and play it on the HiFi without using Squeezebox software.
I have downloaded SoftSqueeze, but I can't find a way to play my music/websites through it without using its filing system??

Does anybody know of a way of doing this.
Grateful for any help.
Logie

mudlark
2008-10-16, 04:18
why do you want to avoid squeezecenter?

The programme does nothing to your music collection.

slimpy
2008-10-16, 06:26
I think you have a misconception of how the Squeezebox/Squeezecenter work.
What it is: SqueezeCenter (the server software) catalogues your local music library and controls all the players connected to it.
It also gives access to internet radio and other streaming content.
A lot of streaming content on the internet can be played back directly on the Squeezebox.

What it's not: a remote soundcard (although you can play back sounds from your PC on the Squeezebox using the optional WaveInput plugin, see here (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin))

The Controller will be more or less just an expensive volume control with a screen if you use WaveInput exclusively since there's no information about the content being played back.

Have you tried the Squeezecenter software? It can use the same library as Musicmatch simply by pointing SC to the top folder.

One of the great advantages of the Squeezebox is that you don't have to sit in front of your PC to listen to or music or queue up some new tracks.

There are cheaper and more adequate solutions available if all you want is just "very long audio cable".

-s.

logie
2008-10-16, 10:34
Thanks for your replies,
When I first started to use the Squeezebox I was using artist or album selection which I found frustrating and did not suit my music collection. After leaving the message I noticed that there was a "Music Folder" option which suited me and the way I organise my music much better.

I do like to search Radio Stations web sites for items that I am interested in i.e. with BBC 2 or 4 and use "listen again" or download podcasts to listen to rather that live radio.

I suppose I thought that the Squeezebox would have some king of switching facilty between its own software and a staight transmitter as well.

I am pleased with the Squeezebox now and I have still to check out all the radio station facilties, and I'll try the "waveinput" plugin Slimpy, but if all else fails I could just use my remote headphones for things on my PC and squeezebox for music.
Thanks Again

mudlark
2008-10-16, 12:39
If you are in the UK Internet radio/staff picks /london has BBC radio for you to listen to.

alien BBC is a very active plugin that allows you to search the listen again store of bbc material.

If you want to achieve a particular way of listening to your music or the internet there is more than enough stuff available through Squeezebox.

Another fabulous treat is lastFM.

Mike.

Jonnio
2008-10-18, 11:14
You can also add the RSS feed for any podcasts you want to listen too.

Mark Lanctot
2008-10-23, 08:27
When I first started to use the Squeezebox I was using artist or album selection which I found frustrating and did not suit my music collection. After leaving the message I noticed that there was a "Music Folder" option which suited me and the way I organise my music much better.

How so?

Your file tags probably aren't sorted well. "Music Folder" works OK but it's slower and has no search capabilities.

But it uses filenames, which means your files are named properly. If that's the case it's easy to get filenames into tags using Mp3tag (free), see here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Mp3tagGuide#Recovering_Tag_Data_from_Filenames

A small time investment spent fixing tags at the start will pay off not only with SqueezeCenter but with many other music programs.