PDA

View Full Version : Artwork annoyances and questions

Hangleton
2008-10-16, 01:38
Hi,

Since acquiring a Duet, I have been noticing that a lot of my album artwork displays incorrectly on the SB Controller (and also in the web interface, though I didnít watch that so closely so I didnít notice the extent of the problem). It all displays fine in Windows Media Player, which I have used in the past to maintain my collection.

I donít know much about the way artwork is stored, but after much research, I have discovered (with the help of MP3tag) that:

a) MP3 files can contain multiple embedded artwork pictures
b) When pasting album art in Windows Media Player, the pasted artwork is added as a second (or subsequent) embedded picture after the existing one. It does not replace the existing one.
c) SqueezeCenter displays the first embedded artwork, not the last one.

For historical reasons, due to a bug in an artwork fixing program I foolishly let loose on my collection and, I suspect, Windows Media Player too, many of my MP3s have multiple embedded pictures. In general, the last one is the correct one because I have pasted the correct picture in via WMP.

What would solve a lot of my artwork display problems without spending many hours in MP3tag, would be for SqueezeCenter to show the last embedded picture instead of the first.

Is there a setting somewhere which will do this? Failing that, is it worth me raising a bug report (though it isnít really a bug) to request this as a change?

Regards,

Andy

lrossouw
2008-10-16, 02:53
I wouldn't know how to do this, but you could probably get mp3tag to delete everything but the last picture embedded. Ask the guys how to an "action" for this over in the ripping\tagging section of the forum.

Then a rescan would give you what you want

MrSinatra
2008-10-16, 03:06
if it were me, i'd delete ALL artwork from the files, and keep one artwork file per album/folder.

i am pretty sure i have seen threads on here about how to extract, cut, and paste it. not sure if it would work when doing multiple arts, but if all you need is the last one, it might work in that way anyway.

socistep
2008-10-16, 03:37
if it were me, i'd delete ALL artwork from the files, and keep one artwork file per album/folder.

i am pretty sure i have seen threads on here about how to extract, cut, and paste it. not sure if it would work when doing multiple arts, but if all you need is the last one, it might work in that way anyway.

I go for the one artwork file approach and believe that works well, decreased tag size and easier to manage. If you use DBPowerAmp to rip then it will auto place the cover art in folder.

There are also numerous scripts for obtaining artwork either from existing tags or other sources, I believe also that v7.3 will give functionality to process artwork that is held in the iTunes database which will help a lot of users.

For me personally I had that problem, as I run Ubuntu I used a script from Amarok which pulled artwork into the folder for my music, worked well and only had a small number of manual artwork additions to do.

chinablues
2008-10-16, 03:51
The issue I had with one artwork file (folder.jpg) per album was that Windows Media Player (in Vista) would automatically resize this file down to 200x200 pixels. OK if you want that, but not if you don't. I managed to defeat this scanning/resizing function of WMP in Vista, but was glad that I had embedded artwork in all the files. Thus I could delete all folder.jpg files and run a 'extract folder.jpg from file information' routine for all albums using Tag&Rename. This got rid of all the 200x200 art files & replaced with the originals. Now I keep the artwork file in both places, folder & in the tag itself

btw, you can set MP3Tag to show you how many artwork files are embedded in each tag.

Dan

MrSinatra
2008-10-16, 05:05
well, u could do that, or you could just keep one spare copy in the folder.

i actually use WMP to get the art, b/c its easy to do so without it messing up your tags. it'll get you a large (typically 200x200) and small one (75x75), and then two more that are copies of those with weird MD5ish filenames. all are "hidden" files.

this results in four files, and if the first two are ever mistakenly overwritten, (sometimes by WMP!), you still have the MD5ish copies to rely on.

i've now gotten into the habit of manually making a copy of folder.jpg when i have to google it or get it elsewhere than WMP.

i just don't like the idea of artwork in the music file and you do see it cause strange issues from time to time. (and it saves a bit of space)

Pale Blue Ego
2008-10-16, 06:51
I like embedded art because once it's there you can't lose it. Also, if you convert to other formats with dbpoweramp, the artwork goes into the new file.

The disc space is really a non-issue; it amounts to a few hundred MB at most for even a huge collection.

I would ask Mr Sinatra, why not go totally antiseptic and keep the tag data separate from the music file? Why have ANY non-music frames in the file?

MrSinatra
2008-10-16, 15:55
had i known how to properly do cue sheets i might have done that... but my objection isn't to mixing non-music data in with music data, (i'm not a crazy level audiophile ;) ...its that i have seen over the years, in this forum and others, more problems with embedded art than with just "normal" tags.

to each his own. but the other thing i like is that windows uses the art to "decorate" the folders.

peter
2008-10-17, 10:19
Pale Blue Ego wrote:
> I like embedded art because once it's there you can't lose it. Also, if
> you convert to other formats with dbpoweramp, the artwork goes into the
> new file.
>
> The disc space is really a non-issue; it amounts to a few hundred MB at
> most for even a huge collection.
>
> I would ask Mr Sinatra, why not go totally antiseptic and keep the tag
> data separate from the music file? Why have ANY non-music frames in