PDA

View Full Version : streaming Myspace Music?

chiefersone
2008-10-15, 12:23
Has anyone though about the ability to stream Myspaces music with the Squeezebox?

bizdevguy
2008-10-15, 17:09
We think about new music services all the time and myspace is certainly on the list. For us it's all about working on what matters most to our customers. One of the questions we've had relates to the overlap of users of myspace and users of Squeezebox. At first blush, you might think that the myspace crowd is too young to be a SB user. However, lots of SB users have kids who are part of the myspace crowd.

So, just how many of you out there would place myspace high on your listening list?

thx.
Matt

mattybain
2008-10-16, 00:46
We think about new music services all the time and myspace is certainly on the list. For us it's all about working on what matters most to our customers. One of the questions we've had relates to the overlap of users of myspace and users of Squeezebox. At first blush, you might think that the myspace crowd is too young to be a SB user. However, lots of SB users have kids who are part of the myspace crowd.

So, just how many of you out there would place myspace high on your listening list?

thx.
Matt

I am way too old!!!

Would rate Napster and Spotify support much higher than MySpace support. However maybe that is out of ignorance of what MySpace music offers.

pippin
2008-10-16, 00:55
I am way too old!!!

Would rate Napster and Spotify support much higher than MySpace support. However maybe that is out of ignorance of what MySpace music offers.

You are way too old.

MySpace has the big advantage of being a platform that is being used by Bands (and, I believe, labels) to pre-release a lot of stuff. Records of new bands, today, are often only after you have made sure the band is already popular enough to score a hit on the charts. Until then you use MySpace as a teaser and do gigs.

Example: The Ting Tings early this year had a #1 hit in the US and the UK, that same stuff (actually half of the album) had been on MySpace since Summer last year.

So: yes, I would also rate that the most important addition to the services...

autopilot
2008-10-16, 04:03
Maybe not a biggey for me like Napster would be, but i can see it being a major selling point a well worth doing.

fuzzyT
2008-10-16, 10:02
I wouldn't assume that MySpace is all kids anymore. My personal
experience is that anyone in a band or running a club is on there and
using the site to host/promote music and their shows. And that age is
all over the charts.

A quick Google yields this:
http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=1019

It's a bit out of date, and probably relies on self-reported ages in
MySpace profiles, so it may not be reliable. But the point is, don't
assume that you know the demograhpics. Maybe you have some real
marketing data, or could get something that MySpace might share with a
potential partner or advertiser.

The real question for me is: how are users going to go about finding,
picking, building playlists and/or streams of music from this service?
Does this discover/choose/play interaction work without the MySpace web
UI? How are these use cases exposed into the SC menus? Is there an
exposed API that supports this?

One short question that might flush out a useful reply: Is anyone here
using MySpace other than to just play the songs on band pages?

--rt

bizdevguy wrote:
> We think about new music services all the time and myspace is certainly
> on the list. For us it's all about working on what matters most to our
> customers. One of the questions we've had relates to the overlap of
> users of myspace and users of Squeezebox. At first blush, you might
> think that the myspace crowd is too young to be a SB user. However,
> lots of SB users have kids who are part of the myspace crowd.
>
> So, just how many of you out there would place myspace high on your
> listening list?
>
> thx.
> Matt
>
>

CalleG
2009-01-03, 15:17
I am way too old!!!

Me too would be very interested in Spotify support. Would that be possible anytime soon?

NoodlesSmash
2009-01-04, 05:55
How does one go about getting an invite for Spotify?
Stay happy,
Noodles

jwedwards
2009-09-02, 13:19
Yes please! MySpace streaming - would be excellent for listening to pre-release stuff and upcoming new bands which wouldn't be on Napster yet. Is there an API for MySpace?

buck
2012-04-05, 09:04
I know this is an oldie of a post. Sorry for digging into the past. With MySpace appearing to have really focused on music more than a social device, does this idea warrant another look? I have found some good stuff there lately that would be great to stream to the squeezebox!
Later
Buck

pippin
2012-04-05, 09:17
Oh, wow, the return of the undead.... I thought MySpace was focusing on laying of their staff these days.

I just tried it using the browser in iPeng and there is some stuff that I can get to play although some tracks just give me a "403 forbidden" even they do play on the iPad.
It's a bit hard to use (and just a hack anyway), looks like you have to long-press the play buttons, no idea what the JavaScript on that page is doing.

They also use non-persistant links like SoundCloud or Google Music so you can't queue up tracks but just play them straight away (Google's links are at least valid for a few minutes, SoundCloud's for one minute or so but MySpace's seem to be really short-lived.

buck
2012-04-05, 09:53
Thanks for the reply! I have no idea what this stuff takes to implement, so I appreciate folks like you who do!
Just thought I'd rustle up the idea again since I looked at my MySpace profile today for the first time in at least a year. I do like the music player on the page and thought that it would be neat to stream that player to the SB.

Time to return this thread to the grave, I suppose... :-)

Thanks again!

pippin
2012-04-05, 10:02
Yes, well the easiest way is always through the browser, that's what iPeng does, that's fine to try out thing, it's not a long-term solution if you really want to use that music frequently. So if you've got an iThingy...

If you want more than you'd need a plugin on the server side and for that MySpace first of all would have to have an API, no idea whether they do now, they did not a year ago....