PDA

View Full Version : Confused about compilation album settings

Andrew B.
2008-10-15, 07:56
I'm sorry but I have spent an hour looking for an answer to this and I'm sure it is simple enough but I'm darned if I can make it work properly. Here's the issue:

On a compilation album like Pop Party 3, my FLAC file tags show the same album name for all tracks (good) and the actual artist name. This means that when I browse by artist and go to "any songs" I will see the tracks I have in my library from that artist, regardless of whether they appear on a compilation album or the artist's own album. That's good and the way I like it.

The problem comes when I decide to browse by album. Then instead of seeing one entry for "Pop Party 3", I have 40 entries - one for each individual song - so it treats it as 40 different albums! I would like to just see it as one album when browsing by album but I would like the artist browsing behaviour to stay as it is. This can't be too much to ask...

What do I need to set or change in the library settings or the tags? I have MP3tag for tagging. Also have dBPoweramp and various other bits of windows software.

Thanks

Andrew

radish
2008-10-15, 21:26
Couple of things to check:

1) AlbumArtist should be unset for compilations.
2) If your directory layout isn't one album per directory, you will probably need to add Compilation=1 tags as well.

autopilot
2008-10-16, 04:02
Couple of things to check:

1) AlbumArtist should be unset for compilations.

What do you mean by that? i have an Albumartist tag for my compilations and they work fine. Why 'unset'?