PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router advice

fuel2000
2008-10-15, 02:06
I'm using a Netgear WPN 824 at the moment but it keeps freezing requireing a power cycle to get going again. Just wondering which is the best one for needs. I have 10meg cable broadband, My main PC running xp, a laptop running Xp, a Ps3, and a Squeezebox duet. The laptop, squezebox controller and PS3 all connect wirelessly and the Sqeezebox reciver and PC via ethernet cable, what do you recommend?

Thanks alot.

androidtopp
2008-10-15, 05:57
I think this puts me at odds with most people, but I like D-Link's interface best. I have had great results with both the DGL-4300 (802.11b/g, 4-port gig switch) and the DGL-4500 (802.11b/g/n, 4-port gig switch, USB). They're kinda pricey, but I think I've only had to reboot once or twice in four years or so.

avta
2008-10-15, 07:27
I've concluded that most of the time when I can't connect to the internet or get a disconnect the problem is the ISP not my router ( Netgear ) in spite of them ( Comcast ) telling me there is no problem with the system.

androidtopp
2008-10-15, 07:46
It would not stun me to hear that you have problems with Comcast.

I used to have a Netgear (and this is probably just me, not hating on Netgear) and it would hang in the middle of the day. I'd get home, unplug it, plug it back in, and boom - connectivity restored. Good thing I have backup mail hosting...

pfarrell
2008-10-15, 07:52
Linksys WRT54GL
Note the "L" on the end, it costs about $10 more than the plain WRT54G
but is worth it. You can leave it stock, or use DD-WRT or Tomato

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

peter
2008-10-15, 10:01
androidtopp wrote:
> I think this puts me at odds with most people, but I like D-Link's
> interface best. I have had great results with both the DGL-4300
> (802.11b/g, 4-port gig switch) and the DGL-4500 (802.11b/g/n, 4-port
> gig switch, USB). They're kinda pricey, but I think I've only had to
> reboot once or twice in four years or so.
>

I have a new D-Link DIR-655 N router (as a WAP) since a few weeks and I
haven't had any problems yet.

The Apple Airport Express I used before had to be rebooted fairly regularly.

Regards,
Peter

maggior
2008-10-15, 12:42
I use a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT. Running stock FW, I had to reboot the router at least once a month. Using the latest version of DD-WRT (V24-SP1), I haven't had to reboot for more than 2 months (68 days to be exact). I've *never* been able to leave it running without restarting it that long before.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2008-10-15, 16:46
Without a doubt ,the best router I have used is the Apple Extreme Base Station

I have used Linkys,Belkin ,tried D link and Netgear and nothing compared to
this router with the gigabit ports

Downside is only 3 ethernet ports while most have 4 and price I think its
around 159 or so but in my opinion well worth it.

peter
2008-10-15, 23:47
jhonsberger (AT) msn (DOT) com wrote:
> Without a doubt ,the best router I have used is the Apple Extreme Base
> Station
>
> I have used Linkys,Belkin ,tried D link and Netgear and nothing
> compared to
> this router with the gigabit ports
>
> Downside is only 3 ethernet ports while most have 4 and price I think
> its
> around 159 or so but in my opinion well worth it.
>

All the Apple Airports I had broke down after one or two years. None of
the none-Apple routers/access points I ever had ever broke down. I like
the compact AE design, but I want my stuff to keep working. It seems
Apple has a bit of a quality problem, or is this just marketing? They
want you to buy a new one regularly?

Regards,
Peter

jhonsberger@msn.com
2008-10-16, 09:55
My apple airport extreme has worked flawlessly for 6 months

I have had problems with linkys and belkin routers slowing down
significantly after 6 months.

So im not sure what your talking about as I havent has this issue.

Oh and the wireless range on the apple exceeds 300 feet .Better than

any router I have tested

DeVerm
2008-10-16, 10:22
Another vote for the (expensive) DLink DGL-4500. I've seen nothing better and nothing better-looking and I can even use it's display to check bandwidth used etc. Great.

Cheers,
Nick.

toby10
2008-10-16, 10:34
I'm using a Netgear WPN 824 at the moment but it keeps freezing requireing a power cycle to get going again. Just wondering which is the best one for needs. I have 10meg cable broadband, My main PC running xp, a laptop running Xp, a Ps3, and a Squeezebox duet. The laptop, squezebox controller and PS3 all connect wirelessly and the Sqeezebox reciver and PC via ethernet cable, what do you recommend?

Thanks alot.

As you have discovered you will get many varying answers to this question. It's like saying "I'm going to buy a new car, what brand/make would everyone recommend". :)

I use the Linksys WRT54GL with stock firmware. Operates flawlessly and gives me great coverage for "my" needs. I think I've had to re-boot it twice in a year and a half. But as others have stated they have had issues with this brand and model. Your Mileage WILL Vary. :)

peter
2008-10-16, 12:01
jhonsberger (AT) msn (DOT) com wrote:
> My apple airport extreme has worked flawlessly for 6 months
>
My airports worked fine the first year or so. They died a little later
(out of warranty of course). Good luck ;)

> I have had problems with linkys and belkin routers slowing down
> significantly after 6 months.
>

I've used neither.

> So im not sure what your talking about as I havent has this issue.
>

Yet... ;)

> Oh and the wireless range on the apple exceeds 300 feet .Better than
>
> any router I have tested
>

You could be lucky. Two routers dying on me out of warranty have made me
reluctant to try again.

Regards,
Peter

MrC
2008-10-16, 12:11
Maybe these comparison charts will help some:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_wireless/Itemid,200/

tamanaco
2008-10-16, 12:27
I think this puts me at odds with most people, but I like D-Link's interface best. I have had great results with both the DGL-4300 (802.11b/g, 4-port gig switch) and the DGL-4500 (802.11b/g/n, 4-port gig switch, USB). They're kinda pricey, but I think I've only had to reboot once or twice in four years or so.

Nothing, but good things to say about the D-Link 4300. The only folks that I heard complaining about it were gamers that were pushing the 4300 to its limit. My 4300 has been hanging up-side down on the top side of a window frame in my living room since 11/08/06. androidtopp, what's your opinion of the 4500 as you compare it to the 4300?

fuel2000
2008-10-16, 12:56
thanks alot for your advice guys, think i may well check out the dlink.

androidtopp
2008-10-24, 06:14
androidtopp, what's your opinion of the 4500 as you compare it to the 4300?

Well, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but my real reason for upgrading was work related. An odd bug, which seemed to be acknowledged by D-Link, and just never fixed (maybe it wasn't possible with firmware update) meant that the DGL-4300 wouldn't pass Cisco VPN traffic over wireless. I get home, sit down on the couch with the work laptop, fire up my SB3 (critial!) fire up the VPN - and no joy. When I would go to the router and wire up, I'd be off to the races in seconds. So having liked everything else about the 4300, I bought a 4500, with which I have no VPN issues, wireless or wired.

The reason I bought the 4300 initally was a like of D-Link interface, and the built in gig switch, which was rare at the time. I like the port forwarding setup D-Link allows. Some of the advanced features, like GameFuel and the USB port on the 4500 (recently feature enhanced by a firmware update) I've not really mucked with.

I do perfer the triple anetenna on the 4500 - lets me connect up D-Link's higher gain 3-antenna properly. Both are very solid, with the exception of that VPN oddness.