PDA

View Full Version : Moved my Music Library

Chewie
2008-10-15, 01:35
Yesterday I copied my existing Music Library from an external drive to the shared music folder of my new HP MediaSmart EX475. All seems to have gone well, the two libraries are bit perfect but should I be worried about any FLAC file corruption? Excuse my ignorance but could the FLAC files have been corrupted in the move and if it is possible how do I check that my new library is ok.

I have previously used the excellent Audiotester V1.6 but there is no Windows Home Server version.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Carl.

funkstar
2008-10-15, 01:57
Sure any file copied between two locations can become corrupt, it is very unlikely though.

Your FLACs will be far less prone to this than an executable windows program (for example) as FLAC does have some error correction in there as well.

If it was me, I wouldn't be worrying about it at all.

Chewie
2008-10-15, 23:32
Thanks for the input funkstar, although I now have bigger problems with scanning my library :-(

Khuli
2008-10-16, 01:18
Your FLACs will be far less prone to this than an executable windows program (for example) as FLAC does have some error correction in there as well.
That's not true when copying files - it's the file system that handles that, and it doesn't care what sort of file it is.

Either way, the file system creates a checksum when creating a copy of a file, and either re-copies or reports if the two don't match. Apart from damaged tapes and floppies, I've NEVER had a file that wasn't copied correctly. It would be mayhem... exe files wouldn't run, movies wouldn't play, archives would open... a copy is a copy.