PDA

View Full Version : Global search ?

indypants
2008-10-14, 12:56
I'm hoping someone can tell me where to find what I'm looking for...

Having owned a squeezebox for around a year now, I still find myself reverting back to Winamp Media Library when I need to find songs or build complex playlists. It has a very simple but extremely powerful search interface that allows you to just type any phrase (including alpha, numeric, or symbols) and then all the tags are searched globally without any need so specify which tag you want to search within. Additionally, the words in your phrase are searched independantly. In other words, searching for "disco 2000" will instantly find all songs with a year tag of "2000" AND a genre tag of "disco". It will also find the song "disco 2000" by pulp, if that happens to be what I'm looking for.

To me this seems like a no-brainer, and yet I can find no such facility built in to SqueezeCenter.

The closest I've found is the LazySearch plugin. This is a great little tool and I use it a lot when I'm on the sofa using just the remote. However, it's clearly not intended to replace proper searches done from the Squeezecenter interface and only hints at what can be done with a Winamp search.

Please help! I'd be delighted if someone could embarass me by saying that i've missed something that has been there all along :)

adhawkins
2008-10-14, 13:50
Hi,

In article <indypants.3hadxz1224014401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
indypants<indypants.3hadxz1224014401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Having owned a squeezebox for around a year now, I still find myself
> reverting back to Winamp Media Library when I need to find songs or
> build complex playlists. It has a very simple but extremely powerful
> search interface that allows you to just type any phrase (including
> alpha, numeric, or symbols) and then all the tags are searched globally
> without any need so specify which tag you want to search within.
> Additionally, the words in your phrase are searched independantly. In
> other words, searching for "disco 2000" will instantly find all songs
> with a year tag of "2000" AND a genre tag of "disco". It will also find
> the song "disco 2000" by pulp, if that happens to be what I'm looking
> for.

You can almost certainly do this through the web interface.

There is also a 'Keyword' search available from the player (press the Search
button and scroll).

Does that do what you want?

Andy

radish
2008-10-15, 21:36
The default search in the web interface works exactly like that - just type whatever you want into the search box and hit enter.

indypants
2008-11-01, 09:19
The default search in the web interface works exactly like that - just type whatever you want into the search box and hit enter.

Hi, thanks for the reply, and apologies for the time it has taken me to respond.

I'll come clean and admit that I held something back in my original post because I am doing something very non-standard. I actually use the "genre" field to store my own personalised ratings flags, including star ratings (asterisks) and mood information (a custom letter within brackets). The reason I did this originally is that I wanted portability for my ratings, i.e I wanted it stored within the MP3 tags rather than be tied to the application. The genre field was something I never used, so it seemed ideal for what I wanted to do. That is, until I moved over to SqueezeCenter...

The standard search you mentioned doesn't search the genre field, whereas winamp does. For searches from the remote, it does not allow you (as far as I know) to enter symbols such as asterisk or brackets.

I'm considering exporting all these tags and re-importing them into another unused tag that is searchable in SqueezeCenter, as I don't currently see any easy option.

MeSue
2008-11-01, 10:35
Squeezecenter imports the comment tag, so you could use that. You might want to look into Erland's Custom Scan plugin. It will import ratings or any other custom tags you set it up for.

radish
2008-11-01, 14:46
It would be pretty trivial to move everything from genre to comment using something like mp3tag or foobar.

erland
2008-11-01, 22:42
You might want to look into Erland's Custom Scan plugin. It will import ratings or any other custom tags you set it up for.'

Unfortunately that won't help, SqueezeCenter doesn't search the tags imported by Custom Scan. You can browse the information with Custom Brose plugin, but not search it.

As already suggested, putting the information in the comment tag should work.

pippin
2008-11-01, 23:00
Erland,

you are either up too early or too late :-)

indypants
2008-11-02, 03:44
Hi, Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.
I have a little bit of perl experience (enough to move my tags around), so it sounds like the best idea is to follow the suggestion of moving everything into the comments tag. I'll double check that "comments" is fully searchable before I do :)

indypants
2008-11-10, 13:27
I've successfully copied all my genre tags into the comment tag and done a few simple searches, but the results are so far disappointing.

As an example, a typical custom-format tag I have created might look like this: 4**** [P] (S)

When I search (using the advanced search / comment field), either it fails, or the results are inconsistant with what I know exists within my media library, eg:

Search for... [p]
Internet Explorer times out after 2-3 minutes of cpu at 100% (system is an Athlon 3200 with 2gig RAM)

Search for... (S)
I get thousands of results when I would expect maybe 100 (could it be ignoring the brackets?)

Search for... ***
I get 98 results, when I would expect a few hundred

I'll have to do some more testing, but this doesn't look very encouraging.