PDA

View Full Version : SB3 + Controller

Black Pearl
2008-10-14, 00:13
I've had a Squeezebox for a little over a year now and love it. I am thinking of getting a controller and wonder if people have done this and would recommend doing so. There is not a great difference in price if I buy the Duet as well, does it have any sound quality advantages?

Thanks

morris_minor
2008-10-14, 01:45
Though the DACs in the SB3 and Receiver are different the sound quality is pretty similar - though I haven't bothered to swap mine around to see! I tend to use my controller mostly with the SB3 as it's too far away from my listening position to read the display - and the controller adds a great deal to the usability of the device (not that the IR remote is bad, though). The Receiver's in the kitchen, and I usually have a laptop running Moose on the kitchen table for controlling it.

If you buy a Duet you'll probably find a location to put the receiver :o} Get a pair of powered speakers and you're away (Audioengines seem popular in these parts . . .)

Bob

MeSue
2008-10-14, 08:51
I've had a Squeezebox for a little over a year now and love it. I am thinking of getting a controller and wonder if people have done this and would recommend doing so. There is not a great difference in price if I buy the Duet as well, does it have any sound quality advantages?

I recently got a Duet. Really just wanted a Controller, but found a great deal on a used Duet. I use the Controller with the Boom in the bedroom. The Boom is across the room and the Controller makes it so much nicer to relax in bed with some tunes. I love love love browsing lyrics on the Controller screen.

The extra receiver I got with it doesn't really have a permanent home yet. Currently I have it next to the treadmill connected to headphones. When one of us uses the treadmill we just grab the Controller from the bedroom next door.

So, yeah, I recommend doing so. :-)

Black Pearl
2008-10-16, 13:53
Thanks for the advice.

Just been reading and it seems the controller might have head phone support soon - that does it I'm having one.

Howard Passman
2008-10-17, 02:12
Thanks for the advice.

Just been reading and it seems the controller might have head phone support soon - that does it I'm having one.

....and when 7.3 goes mainstream you'll love the ability to plug headphones in the SBC. I went on 7.3 beta yesterday and despite the few glitches, it sounds really good through a decent set of headphones. Just for fun I was walking around with the SBC in my pocket and headphones. I wandered all over the house and it worked fine and sounded even better :-)

Howard