PDA

View Full Version : Transporter knob does not work

wolfzell
2008-10-13, 10:46
Ok, I am still in the process of getting my brand new transporter to work properly...

Now I solved the problem with the noise when switching it on or off by reprogramming the xylinx and doing a factory reset, but now I discovered that the knob is not working as I should.

When I try to adjust the volume, I press the "volume"-button on the front, the volume display appears. Now when I turn the knob, the volume only "jitters", but does not change. For example: It shows -33,00 and when I turn the knob, it changes to -33,5, then back to -33,00, sometimes to -32,50 and back. So it just changes minimal amounts plus/minus around the same value, but in the end, it does not change at all.

When I try to search or browse using the know, nothing at all happens. In fact it seems as there is no function at all that is reacting in any senseful way to the knob.

Any idea what to do?

Squeezecenter is version 7.2 (22900) running on Windows XP
Transporter Firmware is 62

bye
Wolfgang

mvalera
2008-10-13, 12:34
Your best bet for help is to contact support:

http://slimdevices.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/slimdevices.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Cheers,

Mike

dennis55
2008-10-13, 13:05
wolfzell,i hope you are enjoying your Transporter albeit with a few teething problems....mmm there is an excellent FAQ section on here,but as Mick suggested support is always handy.
i have had a Transporter here for nearly a year now and i can honestly say that i never use the Knob!on the TP.
The supplied remote is very good ,but you always have to check the displays visually; which for a lazy sod like me is a right pain.
so, i have solved this wee niggle by purchasing a Duet and using the Controller with my TP!...Cunning plan or what?.
the only time i touch the TP is when i upgrade the software or give my gear a good wash/dusting ,so the front of my Tp is like brand new as i don't use the buttons or the Knob.
hope you get things sorted out and start really enjoying your new toy.

dennis

wolfzell
2008-10-13, 13:17
Well, I already own two Squeezeboxes, so I know you are right, I will most likely never use the knob, but nevertheless it is important for me if only for the function to be able to turn down the volume without searching a remote before. And I am afraid that a defect device simply has a much lower value if I should ever decide so sell it. So this problem will cost money. I do not like that idea either.

Beside that I ordered a Duet together with the transporter and then almost every room will be equipped with a network player.

I just wrote to german support. I hope I will get an answer tomorrow.

bye
Wolfgang

carrera
2008-10-13, 13:32
Ok, I am still in the process of getting my brand new transporter to work properly...

Now I solved the problem with the noise when switching it on or off by reprogramming the xylinx and doing a factory reset, but now I discovered that the knob is not working as I should.

When I try to adjust the volume, I press the "volume"-button on the front, the volume display appears. Now when I turn the knob, the volume only "jitters", but does not change. For example: It shows -33,00 and when I turn the knob, it changes to -33,5, then back to -33,00, sometimes to -32,50 and back. So it just changes minimal amounts plus/minus around the same value, but in the end, it does not change at all.

When I try to search or browse using the know, nothing at all happens. In fact it seems as there is no function at all that is reacting in any senseful way to the knob.

Any idea what to do?

Squeezecenter is version 7.2 (22900) running on Windows XP
Transporter Firmware is 62

bye
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

just read your thread, I have also a Transporter (pretty new) and I'm not too experienced.

But I'm not using SC 7.2, I use a prior version. So I read your thread, ran upstairs, started my Transporter - I never used the Nob before - tried to adjust the volume, and nothing happend, so I tried to change anything with the knob - and nothing happend.

So I did a reset, and now I can use the knob- and the volume wotks fine.

So what I would do: if a reset doesn't work, try an earlier version of SC.

Regards
carrera

wolfzell
2008-10-13, 13:45
Hello Carrera,

thanks for trying to help. What kind of reset did you do? I re-programmed the xylinx (power-on+1) and I also did a reset to factory settings (power-on+add). While this did fix the noise-problem I had before, it did not help with the knob...

Going back to an older version is not an option. The digital loop function of the transporter in the newer releases was one of the main reasons for buying it and iPeng on my iTouch as a secondary controller also needs a newer release.

Now I installed 7.2.1 from the nightlies and firmware 63 (with another xylinx programming right after it) just to test if anything would change. But no success yet.

bye
Wolfgang

carrera
2008-10-13, 14:14
Hello Carrera,

thanks for trying to help. What kind of reset did you do? I re-programmed the xylinx (power-on+1) and I also did a reset to factory settings (power-on+add). While this did fix the noise-problem I had before, it did not help with the knob...

Going back to an older version is not an option. The digital loop function of the transporter in the newer releases was one of the main reasons for buying it and iPeng on my iTouch as a secondary controller also needs a newer release.

Now I installed 7.2.1 from the nightlies and firmware 63 (with another xylinx programming right after it) just to test if anything would change. But no success yet.

bye
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

At first when I did some testing with my new Transporter, I had no audio at all.

After reprogramming the xylinx audio worked fine (I tried digital out, and xlr).

What I did ten minutes ago to "activate" the knob was the factory reset (unplug, then plugin + add) which worked fine. So as I do not believe your Transporter is broken, I think it might be the SC version

I remember having read somewhere about some probs with the Transporter and 7.2, but I'm not sure.

Kind regards
carrera