PDA

View Full Version : Transporter power switching noises

wolfzell
2008-10-13, 05:19
Hi,

just received my brand new Transporter from a dealer here in Germany.

I connected the Transporter via the balanced connectors to my AVM mono blocks. Now I am getting ugly "popping" noises when I switch the Transporter on or off.

Is anybody else having the same problem? Is my Transporter defect or do I have to live with these switching noises? I guess I just could leave it on, but I would prefer to be able to switch it off at night... I plan to solder some passive attenuation into the XLR-connectors at the amplifier and I guess this will help some, but still I would prefer *no* noise when switching the Transporter.

Can anybody help?

bye
Wolfgang

cliveb
2008-10-13, 07:41
I connected the Transporter via the balanced connectors to my AVM mono blocks. Now I am getting ugly "popping" noises when I switch the Transporter on or off.
In the SqueezeCenter web interface, go to Settings > Players, pick your Transporter, then select the settings for Audio. Try setting "Power down audio" to "audio always on".

wolfzell
2008-10-13, 07:59
Thanks for trying to help, but unfortunately that does not change it.

In the meantime I soldered resistors into my XLR-plugs getting an attenuation of 14dB. That lowered the noise so I won't be afraid anymore that my speakers will die, but still the noise is much too loud for my taste.

bye
Wolfgang

SuperQ
2008-10-13, 08:15
I think by switching off you are talking about physically unplugging it. You should always power off your monoblocks before you poweroff the transporter, and switch them on after you power on your transporter. This is the only safe way to do this.

wolfzell
2008-10-13, 09:57
No, I am not talking about physically removing the power of the device. I am talking about pressing the power button on the Transporter or on the remote. Then I am getting this annoying noise.

bye
Wolfgang

peter
2008-10-13, 10:12
wolfzell wrote:
> No, I am not talking about physically removing the power of the device.
> I am talking about pressing the power button on the Transporter or on
> the remote. Then I am getting this annoying noise.
>

Strange, my SB3 is completely silent when I do that. (if only my powered
speakers were equally silent)

Regards,
Peter

wolfzell
2008-10-13, 10:18
Reprogramming the xilinx fixed the problem.

But playing around with it left me with another problem (new thread).

Thanks for everybody trying to help here.

bye
Wolfgang