PDA

View Full Version : Boom + sub really fill a room...

muski
2008-10-12, 21:11
I can't recommend strongly enough finding any old subwoofer and attaching to your Boom.

I helped a friend set up a Boom box today. He had an old subwoofer lying around from his desktop PC -- one from a BOSE Companion® 3 multimedia speaker system. So we plugged it in and went into the setting menu to setup the line-out for subwoofer use.

I couldn't believe how this combination filled the kitchen with incredible rich sound. (Finally, a non-useless BOSE product!). The cutoff logic in the DSP is astonishing and finally resolves the Achilles heel of 2.1 systems.

Congratulations again.

muski

P.S. I think it's time Wes Phillips reviewed the Boom...

funkstar
2008-10-13, 02:07
(Finally, a non-useless BOSE product!)
Really? surely you jest?

:)

I've been meaning to patch the boom into the sub from my surround system, I just need to get a splitter cable for the sub, saved moving cables all the time.

ccrome2
2008-10-13, 09:22
On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 9:11 PM, muski <
muski.3h7biz1223871302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> I can't recommend strongly enough finding any old subwoofer and
> attaching to your Boom.

> I couldn't believe how this combination filled the kitchen with
> incredible rich sound. (Finally, a non-useless BOSE product!). The
> cutoff logic in the DSP is astonishing and finally resolves the
> Achilles heel of 2.1 systems.
>

Good to hear. I had a similar experience. Before I implemented the DSP
crossover in Boom, a subwoofer always sounded muddy. As soon as I did it
right, I had the same experience -- immediate and significant improvement.

And I agree -- just use any old sub woofer you can find. You'll be happy.
Big expensive ones will get your more output power, but cheap ones should
be just fine to accompany the sound level of Boom.

-Caleb

muski
2008-10-13, 09:56
Really? surely you jest?

I knew I'd regret that statement. Still, as Caleb says, the criteria is 'any old subwoofer', so the bar was set pretty low.

Well, at least I didn't say it on the audiophile forum. I'd have to get a new username :)

Jonnio
2008-10-13, 10:34
You bet - I gave my dad an old AR 12" sub that I had laying around and started rethinking doing so after I hooked my boom up to it - WOW.

sckramer
2008-10-13, 13:57
if bose sold a boom it would be $10,000 (just a bigger enclosure)

fuzzyT
2008-10-13, 15:12
Agreed. An old JBL craiglist sub has come into my house and really
kicked up the Boom.

--rt

pincopallo_it
2008-10-17, 02:10
Agreed. An old JBL craiglist sub has come into my house and really
kicked up the Boom.

--rt
Thanks about the info ...
but do i need a powered subwoofer or would it work also a not-powered one ?

funkstar
2008-10-17, 03:26
Thanks about the info ...
but do i need a powered subwoofer or would it work also a not-powered one ?
It will need to be powered, or fed through an amp to a non-powered sub. The Boom may have amps for the internal speakers, but there is no way it's going to have the power for a sub as well. Also notice the sub out is a line out, not speaker terminals.

muski
2008-10-19, 14:25
Also, be sure to change the Boom's audio settings so that the line out is set to 'subwoofer' not headphones. Otherwise the Boom's unique crossover feature is not enabled.

funkstar
2008-10-19, 14:47
Got everything hooked up this afternoon and had the Boom linked with the sub from my surround system.

Does sound a lot "bigger". I was getting some pretty deep rumblings from Portishead :)

Will be good when you can turn the output on the Boom off completely and not just switch between headphone and sub.

Kiwi
2008-10-21, 12:06
I got myself a "craigslist" sub ($60 for a 10" Proficient with volume control and variable crossover, which I have on the highest setting as the SB Boom is only sending frequencies under 100 Hz). It works great but I have found myself listening to my music much louder, between 60-80, with the subwoofer attached as it sounds "fuller" at these volume levels.

Can anyone explain this?

iPhone
2008-10-21, 18:03
I got myself a "craigslist" sub ($60 for a 10" Proficient with volume control and variable crossover, which I have on the highest setting as the SB Boom is only sending frequencies under 100 Hz). It works great but I have found myself listening to my music much louder, between 60-80, with the subwoofer attached as it sounds "fuller" at these volume levels.

Can anyone explain this?

If I had to guess, there are probably two things at work making it sound Fuller. First would be the fact of the subwoofer itself and its adding a lower bass bottom to the system. It really helps that the DSP does all the cross-over points. Next is what was in the Boom white paper (I believe) that under normal use the bass starts to roll off at higher volumes so the woofers don't cause distortion as the amp runs out of headroom.

This might be disabled if a subwoofer is plugged in. And if its not, there is still the additional bass support of the sub itself.

Those would be my first thoughts.

pablolie
2008-10-22, 20:16
Also, be sure to change the Boom's audio settings so that the line out is set to 'subwoofer' not headphones. Otherwise the Boom's unique crossover feature is not enabled.

I see the cabling is a tad non-standard for a subwoo... any recommendations on cables and subwoos? I do have a huge Athena I may use, or perhaps I will get a more compact one if a good suggestion comes up. I need that in my home-gym (which happens to be a one car spot in a three car garage, which my mototcycle and the gym share). It is a credit to the Boom it sounds good in a 3 car garage, but I probably need to take it one notch higher...

pablolie
2008-10-22, 20:20
If I had to guess, there are probably two things at work making it sound Fuller. First would be the fact of the subwoofer itself and its adding a lower bass bottom to the system. It really helps that the DSP does all the cross-over points. Next is what was in the Boom white paper (I believe) that under normal use the bass starts to roll off at higher volumes so the woofers don't cause distortion as the amp runs out of headroom.

This might be disabled if a subwoofer is plugged in. And if its not, there is still the additional bass support of the sub itself.

Those would be my first thoughts.

Where is that White Paper? I would love to read more about how to optimize the Boom with a subwoofer.

ccrome2
2008-10-22, 20:30
It's right on the Boom web page: http://slimdevices.com/pi_boom.html
-caleb

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 8:20 PM, pablolie <
pablolie.3hprnb1224732003 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> iPhone;351994 Wrote:
> > If I had to guess, there are probably two things at work making it sound
> > *-Fuller-*. First would be the fact of the subwoofer itself and its
> > adding a lower bass bottom to the system. It really helps that the DSP
> > does all the cross-over points. Next is what was in the Boom white
> > paper (I believe) that under normal use the bass starts to roll off at
> > higher volumes so the woofers don't cause distortion as the amp runs
> > out of headroom.
> >
> > This might be disabled if a subwoofer is plugged in. And if its not,
> > there is still the additional bass support of the sub itself.
> >
> > Those would be my first thoughts.
>
> Where is that White Paper? I would love to read more about how to
> optimize the Boom with a subwoofer.
>
>
> --
> pablolie
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> pablolie's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3816
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53710
>
>

pablolie
2008-10-23, 08:00
Great white paper, thanks a lot for the pointer.

Looks like optimization is as easy as setting cut-off frequency to 100Hz and adjusting bass volume to your liking on the subwoofer?

ccrome2
2008-10-23, 09:40
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 8:00 AM, pablolie <
pablolie.3hqoab1224774303 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Great white paper, thanks a lot for the pointer.
>
> Looks like optimization is as easy as setting cut-off frequency to
> 100Hz and adjusting bass volume to your liking on the subwoofer?

You just set your cutoff as high as it will go. Higher is better because
the Boom does the cutoff itself.

fuzzyT
2008-10-23, 12:49
Kiwi wrote:
> I have found myself listening to my music much louder, between 60-80,
> with the subwoofer attached as it sounds "fuller" at these volume
> levels.
>
> Can anyone explain this?

Yes I can.

It sounds great, so you're cranking it up!

(It has the same effect on me)

pablolie
2008-10-23, 21:04
You just set your cutoff as high as it will go. Higher is better because
the Boom does the cutoff itself.

Isn't the Boom 100Hz bound according to the WP? How can it detect what the subwoofer chooses to amplify?

toby10
2008-10-24, 02:39
Isn't the Boom 100Hz bound according to the WP? How can it detect what the subwoofer chooses to amplify?

Boom detects nothing from your sub. Boom sends all freq's from 100hz and below to your sub. If your sub's x-over control is set to 200hz the sub will only receive 100hz and below.

So set your sub to it's highest x-over setting allowing the Boom to actually handle x-over. :)

pablolie
2008-11-02, 13:56
Wow. Truly does.

I have a Boom that provides sound for our home gym. Since the home gym is basically a carpeted spot where the third car in a three car garage would reside (only the gym and my motorcycle share it), there is a bit of room to fill in there.

The Boom was doing an admirable job, I could not have been more surprised by the sound quality in such asmall package with such a (relatively) small price tag for the quality it provides. Hurrah for the combination of Slim Devices audio electronics know how and Logitech PC speaker know how.

But wow, when I hooked up the Boom in the garage to an Athena subwoo I had collecting dust in the garage http://www.athenaspeakers.com/as-p4000.htm - wow, when the built-in speakers in the Boom only focus on stuff above 100Hz they truly become more open, and the subwoo allows the combo to truly deliver on entertaining levels of bass and sheer volume. I was able to crank it up very loud with no distortions, and to the point where I didn't enjoyt it all that much (I am no boy rocker).

Excellent stuff for larger rooms. With stereo XL turned on and the subwoofer this stuff provides high quality sound in a relatively large room, with very satisfying clarity and volume! I can imagine for many people this is an excellent main system setup.

muski
2008-11-02, 23:08
But wow, when I hooked up the Boom in the garage to an Athena subwoo I had collecting dust in the garage http://www.athenaspeakers.com/as-p4000.htm - wow, when the built-in speakers in the Boom only focus on stuff above 100Hz they truly become more open, and the subwoo allows the combo to truly deliver on entertaining levels of bass and sheer volume.

Interesting. Not only are the speakers now handling only the stuff above 100Hz, but I guess the amp circuit also has less work to do and can instead deliver that power to the mid & upper ranges.

muski

pablolie
2008-11-03, 06:56
Interesting. Not only are the speakers now handling only the stuff above 100Hz, but I guess the amp circuit also has less work to do and can instead deliver that power to the mid & upper ranges.

muski

I also would think distortion goes down since the same speaker now is tasked with a more limited frequency range.

ccrome2
2008-11-03, 08:26
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:08 PM, muski <
muski.3iacun1225692602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Interesting. Not only are the speakers now handling only the stuff
> above 100Hz, but I guess the amp circuit also has less work to do and
> can instead deliver that power to the mid & upper ranges.
>

Exactly Right!

ccrome2
2008-11-03, 08:35
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 5:56 AM, pablolie <
pablolie.3iaylz1225720803 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I also would think distortion goes down since the same speaker now is
> tasked with a more limited frequency range.
>

Exactly right too! For all intents and purposes, when these woofers drive
above 100Hz the distortion is inaudible. Of course, there is still
measurable distortion, but all the speaker studies show that when distortion
is low enough, going lower is inaudible.

For an EXCELLENT study of loudspeakers and how they behave in rooms, I
highly recommend "Sound Reproduction, Loudspeakers and Rooms" by Floyd E.
Toole. You will not find a better discussion of speakers and how they are
perceived anywhere. It's written in plain english, without much in the
way of equations. But it does require a bit of a technical mind to chug
your way though it. Check it out on amazon -- I think you can read a few
pages for free.

As he said at the last AES conference, "The future is here, it's just not
widely distributed yet." The fact is, the science of loudspeaker design is
basically complete, and this book lays it all out for you.

-Caleb

Kiwi
2008-11-03, 08:39
I set my Boom, with subwoofer, by my front door on Friday night. I had some Halloween themed music playing and many people commented on how good it sounded. Some of the little children were apprehensive but soon got over that and then wanted to press buttons and turn the knob. Next year I will have to disguise/conceal the unit.

pablolie
2008-11-05, 19:42
... "The future is here, it's just not
widely distributed yet." ... -Caleb

At this point in time, and after many-many years of traditional audiophile beliefs (and burning a lot of $$ there, but it's been fun), I am thoroughly and totally convinced that the future is wreitten in software and DSPs - the discrete analog circuit audio ways of the past will not be able to meet the flexibility, versatily, adaptability combined with disruptive cost points of the new ways.

About 18 months ago, I was amazed by the fact that the <$600 combo of an SB3 and AudioEngine A5s could deliver on a listening experience that certainly beat most systems I had owned in my audiophile life. I had to leave my $20k home system behind for over a year while living elsewhere, and yet a simple combo consisting of an external hard drive, an SB3, a pais of A5s allowed me to thoroughly keep enjoying music.

The Boom goes even further in that direction - I LOVE this. I think Logitech truly has the know how and tools to reset the button when it comes to the audiophile experience. Things like the Boom show us where the future will be. The price -performance ratio is incredible.

ccrome2
2008-11-05, 20:49
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 6:42 PM, pablolie <
pablolie.3ifncz1225939503 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> ccrome2;356284 Wrote:
> > ... "The future is here, it's just not
> > widely distributed yet." ... -Caleb
>
> At this point in time, and after many-many years of traditional
> audiophile beliefs (and burning a lot of $$ there, but it's been fun),
> I am thoroughly and totally convinced that the future is wreitten in
> software and DSPs - the discrete analog circuit audio ways of the past
> will not be able to meet the flexibility, versatily, adaptability
> combined with disruptive cost points of the new ways.

Agreed, but that's only part of the story. There are a truly huge number of
speaker defects that you simply cannot fix with any amount of DSP and
software. But.... They are measurable! That's the big deal here. We
can measure
the subjective perception of loudspeaker quality, and we can measure the
objective speaker qualities, and when the measurements are done correctly,
they correlate extremely well -- almost perfectly in fact.

The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet :-)

(BTW, that's a quote I stole from Toole, who stole it from William Gibson.)

-Caleb

mcvetyty
2008-12-25, 07:40
Hello everyone,

I realize that this might not belong on this thread, but it seemed appropriate since you guys appear to know about this output pretty well..

My question is: Can the headphones jack output be used as a secondary audio ouput - but still have music play through the primary Boom speakers?

I am thinking about getting a boom, but want to add additional wireless speakers (using this jack) so that I can have music in 2 rooms. Is there a way to set it so that when you plug in additional speakers to the headphones jack it does not shut off the main speakers?

Thanks!

pablolie
2008-12-26, 09:04
Hello everyone,

I realize that this might not belong on this thread, but it seemed appropriate since you guys appear to know about this output pretty well..

My question is: Can the headphones jack output be used as a secondary audio ouput - but still have music play through the primary Boom speakers?

I am thinking about getting a boom, but want to add additional wireless speakers (using this jack) so that I can have music in 2 rooms. Is there a way to set it so that when you plug in additional speakers to the headphones jack it does not shut off the main speakers?

Thanks!

I don't think there is a way to atach a second set of full range speakers to the Boom. It's either sub or headphones.

I also think it would be nice to have a traditional line-out capability. I am thinking about getting my *third* boom performing double duty as audio device and as a center/stereo speaker underneath a flat screen. I think it may be great for the second application, but it'd be nice to be able to have the flexibility to drive additional speakers of it.

funkstar
2008-12-26, 09:11
This was fixed in 7.3.0.

Resolved bug is here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8260

However, the official line is that it is still just a "headphone" or "sub" output, not for external speakers ;)

ccrome2
2008-12-26, 14:05
Yep, I just ran it this way this morning. The speakers and full range
output can be used simultaneously now.

Caleb

On Dec 26, 2008 8:15 AM, "funkstar" <
funkstar.3l1a6z1230308102 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

This was fixed in 7.3.0.

Resolved bug is here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8260

However, the official line is that it is still just a "headphone" or
"sub" output, not for external speakers ;)

--
funkstar
------------------------------------------------------------------------
funkstar's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2335

View this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53710____________________________ ...

goobi
2008-12-28, 12:07
My experience with use of subs and boom:

I bought a Sony 12" sub approx 180 watts, it was on special from A$ 499 to A$ 299 for my bedroom boom. Thru later surfing the internet I saw that it had been selling in USA for as low as $ 100 US, RRP 199. Boy do we get ripped off here in Aussie. Anyway thats beside the point.

I ended up listening and taking it back the next day for refund. This sub was probably suitable for explosions but totally unmusical, with a single mush of noise coming out. The sub really struggled to to play any decent notes.

Have now concluded that to significantly advance the sound the way I want, I have to spend a lot more $$$ on a subwoofer with significantly more watts, and probalby 8" not 12" and probably needs to be sealed.

The bottom line is that the bass off the boom itself is a lot more musical than the sub I tested. Sure it doesnt vibrate the windows but suprisingly decent bass is present with the boom, even at low volume levels. Testament to all that smart work that Caleb did with equalisation that he documents in his white paper.

leekslap
2008-12-29, 03:25
would most budget 2:1 systems be Ok for this? I guess the boom headphone output plugs straight into the subwoofer? Or would I need to use a more obscure lead? Thanks...

Phil Leigh
2008-12-29, 03:33
would most budget 2:1 systems be Ok for this? I guess the boom headphone output plugs straight into the subwoofer? Or would I need to use a more obscure lead? Thanks...

A straightforward stereo mini-jack to (whatever you have at the other end) will be fine.

The speakers in the Boom will sound better than almost any "budget 2.1" speakers... stereo seperation is one are where an improvement will obviously be possible however!

funkstar
2008-12-29, 03:54
A straightforward stereo mini-jack to (whatever you have at the other end) will be fine.
Actually a mono mini-jack (or 3.5mm jack as they are also called) will also work. when in Sub out mode, both channels of the output carry the same signal so you can use either side of a stereo cable.

Or just feed two subs :D

Phil Leigh
2008-12-29, 04:01
Actually a mono mini-jack (or 3.5mm jack as they are also called) will also work. when in Sub out mode, both channels of the output carry the same signal so you can use either side of a stereo cable.

Or just feed two subs :D

That's true for a sub... but I was thinking of a 2.1 system which typically has the amps for the l/r speakers in the sub... if one wanted to use the //r speakers AND the sub, a stereo lead would be needed ;)

Blomski
2009-01-21, 11:29
[QUOTE=ccrome2;349357]On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 9:11 PM, muski <

>

Hi, What do you mean: implemented the DSP? Is there a DSP plugin?
Yes, digital signal processing. A software plug?

/Magnus

Phil Leigh
2009-01-21, 11:35
[QUOTE=ccrome2;349357]On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 9:11 PM, muski <

>

/Magnus

no plugin required - just Caleb's clever design of the Boom hardware and software

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-21, 11:37

/Magnus

Read the white paper:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/a/ad/Logitech_Squeezebox_Boom_Audio_Design.pdf

Seminole
2009-01-26, 21:36
My Squeezebox is in my bedroom. I purchased a Sony 10" powered sub on Craigslist for $45. It sells for $99 retail. Makes a huge difference. This is a great setup for me because I don't need a $1000 sub for this space. I do have a suggestion. Most people tend to have their subwoofer volume too high and the crossover point too low. The point of a subwoofer is to EXTEND the range of the speakers that you have, NOT overpower them.

Almost all powered subs have adjustable volume and crossover controls. If you have the volume control too high you will not hear the high frequencies of the Squeezebox because they will be drowned out. Play around with the controls. Start with the volume on the subwoofer about 1/3 of the way up. Play a few songs with lots of bass. You will eventually find a comfortable level.

As far as the crossover control goes, its really a matter of taste. If you have the crossover point low, you will get more "thump" but the music will sound unnatural I suggest that you turn the crossover control to a higher setting so you will pick up more midrange.

Two other suggestions. Bass in monaural. You only need one channel going to the sub. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, bass is non-directional. This means if you need to you can stick the subwoofer in a closet or a corner of the room and it will still sound good. You may need to adjust the volume a little, but you would be surprised how good it sounds. ADD a sub to your Squeezebox!!

pincopallo_it
2009-01-27, 03:24
sigh
still in search of the perfect subwoofer for the boom !
has anyone found one which turn on and off automatically for a price under 150 euros ? ... so bad logitech does not help us with that !
Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-27, 06:40
As far as the crossover control goes, its really a matter of taste. If you have the crossover point low, you will get more "thump" but the music will sound unnatural I suggest that you turn the crossover control to a higher setting so you will pick up more midrange.

...but midbass starts to become directional, so if you set your crossover too high, you'll be able to hear where it's coming from.

This is a common problem of Bose systems - their crossover is set so high that the "bass module" starts to reproduce speech and you hear the bass module "talking" to you from the corner of the room. :-)

Setting up a subwoofer is an art and there are tradeoffs in every aspect, unfortunately. There are tools that can help - a frequency sweep off a test disc can determine if you have a "bass hole" and how seamlessly your main speakers mix with your sub.

DaveWr
2009-01-27, 08:55
...but midbass starts to become directional, so if you set your crossover too high, you'll be able to hear where it's coming from.

Mark

As I understand it, the Boom has its own crossover for subwoofer application. Then the subwoofer crossover control should be set as high as possible, to avoid interfering with the Boom bass to sub crossover. The only control that requires fine tuning is the sub level, to make it fully integrate. No midrange issues should be apparent, the Boom controlling what frequencies the sub gets.

Obviously, there will still be the usual room effects from sub placement - room modes etc.

Dave

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-27, 09:02
Mark

As I understand it, the Boom has its own crossover for subwoofer application. Then the subwoofer crossover control should be set as high as possible, to avoid interfering with the Boom bass to sub crossover. The only control that requires fine tuning is the sub level, to make it fully integrate. No midrange issues should be apparent, the Boom controlling what frequencies the sub gets.

Obviously, there will still be the usual room effects from sub placement - room modes etc.

Dave

Yes, that's a very good point - Boom can't be set to direct midrange to the sub.

However the poster was referring to a Squeezebox, where a sub attached to speakers (instead of to a preamp with bass management of some sort) will be controlled exclusively by its own crossover.

DaveWr
2009-01-27, 09:54
Apologies Mark,

Need to improve my glasses - reading skills seem to deteriorate with age.

Dave

BlueScreenJunky
2009-02-08, 07:10
Hi all ! I've just ordered a SqueezeBox Boom (in addition to my current SB3), and I'll probably end up buying a subwoofer for it. The problem is I've never ever used a subwoofer (always prefered large speakers w/o a sub), so I don't really know What I'm looking for.
For now I've found the Yamaha YST-FSW050 (http://www.yamaha-hifi.com/index.php?lang=e&country=DE&idcat1=2) which seems pretty good for its size (I don't want something huge). Will I be able to connect it to the Boom ? Would you say it's a good combination ?

Thanx !

toby10
2009-02-08, 07:36
Hi all ! I've just ordered a SqueezeBox Boom (in addition to my current SB3), and I'll probably end up buying a subwoofer for it. The problem is I've never ever used a subwoofer (always prefered large speakers w/o a sub), so I don't really know What I'm looking for.
For now I've found the Yamaha YST-FSW050 (http://www.yamaha-hifi.com/index.php?lang=e&country=DE&idcat1=2) which seems pretty good for its size (I don't want something huge). Will I be able to connect it to the Boom ? Would you say it's a good combination ?

Thanx !

Should be fine. Your room size and acoustics plus personal taste will determine if that unit is a good combination.

The only trick with the Boom is getting the sub's input using the Boom's small mini-jack output. It's not difficult, you just have to get the correct cable of mini-jack to *whatever* is the subs input.
Usually just a mini-jack to std. RCA.

BlueScreenJunky
2009-02-09, 03:40
ok thanx =)

However I'll probably not be able to test it (at least not with the Boom and in my bedroom before I buy it) so I'll welcome any advice, no matter how subjective it is ^^
I noticed another sub that might do the trick (but a bit more expensive at 150 euros) : the Tivoli Model Subwoofer (http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=194&cat=263&page=1#). It's supposed to work with Tivoli radios but since it has a standard jack in I think it will work just as well with the Boom. But I don't know anything about Tivoli, and couldn't find any info about the frequency response and stuff...
So, do you think I should go for that or the Yam ? Knowing that I'm not looking to have too much bass (you know, the kind of bass that makes the floor shake lol), just to improve the overall sound quality.

toby10
2009-02-09, 04:11
ok thanx =)

However I'll probably not be able to test it (at least not with the Boom and in my bedroom before I buy it) so I'll welcome any advice, no matter how subjective it is ^^
I noticed another sub that might do the trick (but a bit more expensive at 150 euros) : the Tivoli Model Subwoofer (http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=194&cat=263&page=1#). It's supposed to work with Tivoli radios but since it has a standard jack in I think it will work just as well with the Boom. But I don't know anything about Tivoli, and couldn't find any info about the frequency response and stuff...
So, do you think I should go for that or the Yam ? Knowing that I'm looking to have too much bass (you know, the kind of bass that makes the floor shake lol), just to improve the overall sound quality.

If it's as simple as "more is better" in determining your preferred bass reproduction then get the largest enclosure with the largest woofer.

Having never heard either of your selected units that's the best I can offer. :)

BlueScreenJunky
2009-02-09, 04:17
errr... LOL

I forgot a "not" in my previous message : I'm NOT looking for as much bass as possible, just to improve the overall sound quality ^^

toby10
2009-02-09, 06:33
errr... LOL

I forgot a "not" in my previous message : I'm NOT looking for as much bass as possible, just to improve the overall sound quality ^^

ha! LOL Yeah, that does make a difference. :)

I'd bet either choice would suit your needs.

Labarum
2009-03-03, 06:22
Have anyone tried removing disconnecting the internal speakers and using the internal amps to drive external speakers - with or without a subwoofer?

High efficiency speakers of suitable design might produce some interesting results.

Yes, I know, the DSP is a complicating factor.

tmort
2009-03-27, 12:09
Hi,

I just got a Dell/Harmon Kardon 7e840 powered subwoofer. I got it used without testing it. It is from a system that also has satellite speakers.

When I plug it in and hook it to my boom or my pc I don't get any sound.

Is it possible that it must have the satellite speakers attached to work or do I just have one that doesn't work?

Mark Lanctot
2009-03-27, 12:13
Is it possible that it must have the satellite speakers attached to work

Yes, many of them work that way.

or do I just have one that doesn't work?

Presuming you also have the satellite speakers, try it with the satellite speakers on the line out of a computer.