PDA

View Full Version : Best Harmony for SB3?

axel007
2008-10-12, 20:14
In the collected wisdom of the present audience, is there a "best" Harmony for use with the SB3? One with the least reported issues, best display etc?

SuperQ
2008-10-12, 22:30
I use the Harmony 890 because it has an RF based repeater. This way I don't have to be in the same room to adjust the volume. It's fairly easy to setup, and the S.O. loves it.

It's a great remote, but it's not perfect. I had one die, which Logitech replaced. They're only moderately sturdy, so I have to be very careful to not leave it out where my cat will find it. (He's always studying gravity with every object left on the table)

JadeMonkee
2008-10-12, 23:14
I have a Harmony One that works a treat.
One thing though, when selecting the device, I just typed in the model name as "Squeezebox".
Later, I read that you should type it in as "Squeezebox Classic".
This added several very handy shortcut buttons to the device (such as shortcuts to browse artist, search artist etc).
So when you set it up, make sure you enter the model number as "Squeezebox Classic", not just "Squeezebox" (or was it "Squeezebox 3" I entered, not "Squeezebox Classic" - either way, be more specific than just "Squeezebox").
HTH

Nonreality
2008-10-13, 02:45
They all set up the same so it just depends on how many features you want and how much you want to spend. I have the 720 from Costco and it works great. I still use the SB3 remote a lot though. Just like the little devil. :)

androidtopp
2008-10-13, 05:32
Like JadeMonkee, I have the Harmony, and I'm pretty much madly in love with it. Although, I should go back and make sure I have my Squeezebox in as a "Squeezebox Classic" rather than whatever else I might have entered it as.

autopilot
2008-10-13, 05:38
I have the Harmony One. Great remote and i use it about 50/50 with my Squeezebox Controller (as the One does my AMP* etc too). Only one time its a pain - when the SB3 needs a firmware update it asks you to 'hold' the brightness button for a couple of seconds, which you cant do on the Harmony (the brightness button is there, but it sends lots of commands rather than a continues one) so i have to keep original remote somewhere for the odd occasion i need to - but its no big deal. Apparently you can see the SB3 to do it automatically, but i have never been able to find the option!

* One a side note, when is someone going to write a plugin to i can use the IR on the SB Controller to do my AMP's!?

MeSue
2008-10-13, 07:36
I use a Harmony 670 which is one of the less expensive ones with a monochrome display. It controls our entire A/V setup in the Living room, plus the Boom in the kitchen which is open to the living room. 8 remotes in the drawer... it's awesome! Compared to other Harmony's I really liked the button layout on this one, especially for controlling DVRs. The Harmony One was not out when I bought mine, or I might have gone for it instead.

Only one time its a pain - when the SB3 needs a firmware update it asks you to 'hold' the brightness button for a couple of seconds, which you cant do on the Harmony (the brightness button is there, but it sends lots of commands rather than a continues one)...

I believe you can simulate holding a button down by doing hold for 3 seconds, then press again on the Harmony. There are some commands that require a button hold on my DVR and this works for those using my Harmony 670.

The automatic firmware update setting is under settings on the player only, I believe.

I have a Harmony One that works a treat.
One thing though, when selecting the device, I just typed in the model name as "Squeezebox".
Later, I read that you should type it in as "Squeezebox Classic".
This added several very handy shortcut buttons to the device (such as shortcuts to browse artist, search artist etc).
So when you set it up, make sure you enter the model number as "Squeezebox Classic", not just "Squeezebox" (or was it "Squeezebox 3" I entered, not "Squeezebox Classic" - either way, be more specific than just "Squeezebox").
HTH

Drat... I set mine up as Squeezebox and didn't get the extra goodies. I wonder if changing that will mess up all my customizations? Unfortunately, I can't update anything on my 670 until Logitech releases an update to fix what they broke in the last software update. :-(

iPhone
2008-10-13, 09:00
In the collected wisdom of the present audience, is there a "best" Harmony for use with the SB3? One with the least reported issues, best display etc?

Can't really say which one is best. I have a Harmony 1000. It works really well as they all do since Logitech owns both companies. The whole idea behind the Harmony line is that the data base holds the actual codes that a specific device can respond to. So by picking the correct device, the Harmony remote works as good as or better then the original device remote.

st2000
2008-10-13, 16:53
axel007 wrote:
> In the collected wisdom of the present audience, is there a "best"
> Harmony for use with the SB3? One with the least reported issues, best
> display etc?

Real gear heads use cheap JP1.x remotes and beat them, I mean program
them into submission.

See: hifi-remote.com

I picked up a JP1.3 remote from RadSack on sale for $10 and reprogrammed
it (w/a $30 programmer) to handle just about everything in my stereo
rack (the SB is in the next room).

To be honest the pay-off doesn't occur until you buy several of the same
remote and program them similarly. But once you do that, you will
be less likely to cringe the next time someone drops the remote off the
couch :-)! [i.e. It takes that much effort to learn and program the 1st
remote... but it's all "wind to your back" from there on!]

----

I have too many irons in the fire - but, if there is interest, I might
be inspired to post the necessary files to program a RadShack 15-135
with the slimp3 codes. (Yes, the slimp3 codes already exist here: >
http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1004
....but probably apply to an obsolete remote. It's easy enough to adapt
the data to a new remote like the 15-135 ... but that's what I was
offering to do.)

Note, you can build a JP1.3 interface, or you can buy them from other
internet gear heads for about $30 to $40. There are probably no
commercial offerings for such a product (i.e. You're not going to find
one at RadShack! The guy behind the counter will probably not even know
what a JP1.3 remote is.).

radish
2008-10-15, 21:50
But the JP1.x units are just normal boring universal remotes - Harmony is more than that.

I have a few around the house, the cheapest being under $50 from Sears and they all work fine with SBs, but personally I'd go with one of the better models with a color screen for a living room setup.

SilverRS8
2008-10-15, 22:24
I bought a Harmony 1000 and send it back. I had to push a lot more buttons than on my Denon universal remote. The harmony 1000 also has a delay of about a second between button presses. Thats very irritating and it becomes even more so because it will queue the buttons pressed. Result, you either have to be patient (i'm not) or you select the wrong options (like the wrong language on a DVD in a laguage list).

Hopefully the lower ranged harmony's work a lot better.

Frank

autopilot
2008-10-16, 03:58
The Harmony 1000 is a horrible remote, the worst of the harmony range IMO, best avoided.

androidtopp
2008-10-24, 06:19
Granted, I think the Harmony 1000 is stupid big, but I have the Harmony One and can adjust the delay between commands. I think the Harmony is erring on the side of a long delay between commands which turns out to be unneccessary in most cases. You might look in the control software.

The Harmony One is life changing for me - I pick it up, shake it so the accelerometer turns on the backlight, press "Activities" and press "Listen to Music." Then I just use the little d-pad to browse through the SB3 menus like I would with the SB3 remote - so a huge net gain between finding amp remote, changing input, finding sb3 remote, powering on, etc, etc. Plus, the state based stuff in the One (which I think extends to other models) remembers what else is on but not needed for the "Listen to Music" activity. So if I was watching TV, it knows the TV needs to be turned off, and handles it properly without needing the TV to support discrete on/off commands. Only change amp input, rather trying to turn it on, etc. All things I'm sure people have pointed out earlier in this thread.

Gibbo
2008-10-24, 06:35
In the UK the harmony 885 is now 69.99 from amazon! I couldn't be happier with mine, got all my activities set up, I never imagined it would work quite so well!

To watch a film it turns the tv on, onto HDMI2, turns on my popcorn hour, turns the amp on and to video input, then turns my tv volume all the way down to zero and then gives me control of the amp volume and and the PCH. Magic!

Phil Leigh
2008-10-24, 09:31
Another vote for the Harmony One - at the price it is superb and I have finally consigned all my remotes to the cupboard.
one press to watch TV/Satellite/DVD/listen to Squeezebox - Nice!