PDA

View Full Version : iTunes plugin to drive SqueezeCenter / SqueezeBox?

GRC
2008-10-11, 11:41
This may be a stoooopid question but here goes anyway . . .

I like everything about my SB3 Classic setup except the web interface to SqueezeCenter which is depressingly slow and clunky (still). I'm using an old Sony Vaio laptop as the music server and it's running XP Pro on 512MB RAM and using iTunes to manage the music files. iTunes (8.0) runs well and is pretty snappy.

Has there been any discussion about being able to use iTunes to "drive" SqueezeCenter through some form of plugin / interprogram communication so that I can tell SqueezeBox what to play from iTunes. I envisage something like an extra <Play on Squeezebox> button, or an option on the existing <Play> button.

Apologies if this is a really dumb ask . . .

Thanks

GRC

simonjedrake
2008-10-11, 12:40

Has there been any discussion about being able to use iTunes to "drive" SqueezeCenter through some form of plugin / interprogram communication so that I can tell SqueezeBox what to play from iTunes. I envisage something like an extra <Play on Squeezebox> button, or an option on the existing <Play> button.

Thanks

GRC

I think what you need is an Apple Airport Express which will allow you via your WLAN to play your music collection using the iTunes interface. Just plug in some powered speakers into the Airport Express and you are away....
but it's basic.
But you can also easily use your iTunes created playlists via your SB3, the web interface is only really used to set up your settings/options and is then not normally used as your SB3 is the interface.
Or do what a lot of us do which is is to use a NAS box as the music server (often with a PC generated iTunes libarys etc.
Lots of options
Simon

EyeRonik1
2008-12-09, 13:46

I like everything about my SB3 Classic setup except the web interface to SqueezeCenter which is depressingly slow and clunky (still). I'm using an old Sony Vaio laptop as the music server and it's running XP Pro on 512MB RAM and using iTunes to manage the music files. iTunes (8.0) runs well and is pretty snappy.

Thanks

GRC

Yes, this is a great idea. I need a simple, efficient way to sync my Mac and my remote stereo. I can't do it with a SqueezeBox. Adding even more hardware isn't a solution, it's punting.

My wife can use iTunes; she can't figure out the SqueezeBox or SqueezeCenter (which is Slim's biggest problem, IMHO.)

All I need is something that emulates an Airport Express running on the SqueezeBox, or an iTunes plugin that adds SqueezeBox support. Has anyone tried this?

4mula1
2008-12-09, 14:27
The Squeezebox is a very dumb device without SqueezeCenter. SqueezeCenter does virtually everything. The Squeezebox is really nothing more than a DAC and IR receiver powered by SqueezeCenter. It will not act as a set of remote speakers.

snarlydwarf
2008-12-09, 15:06
Yes, this is a great idea. I need a simple, efficient way to sync my Mac and my remote stereo. I can't do it with a SqueezeBox. Adding even more hardware isn't a solution, it's punting.

My wife can use iTunes; she can't figure out the SqueezeBox or SqueezeCenter (which is Slim's biggest problem, IMHO.)

All I need is something that emulates an Airport Express running on the SqueezeBox, or an iTunes plugin that adds SqueezeBox support. Has anyone tried this?

Hrrmm.. my wife has figured out SC... even before I got started ripping her music she was off to Pandora. (Of course, while we were dating, I taught her to use it... "you can figure out a lot about a person by his music.. have fun")

Has she tried just using the remote? If your music is reasonably well organized Browse Music Folder is pretty simple to use.

Depending on how much work you want to put into it, you may find Erland's plugins useful: I set up her music with its own library (using CustomScan and CustomBrowse) so that she can easily find her own stuff without wading through mine.

If you can help figure out what is getting her stuck, that would help making it easier for her and others like her.

EyeRonik1
2008-12-09, 19:50
Hrrmm.. my wife has figured out SC... even before I got started ripping her music she was off to Pandora. (Of course, while we were dating, I taught her to use it... "you can figure out a lot about a person by his music.. have fun")

Has she tried just using the remote? If your music is reasonably well organized Browse Music Folder is pretty simple to use.

Depending on how much work you want to put into it, you may find Erland's plugins useful: I set up her music with its own library (using CustomScan and CustomBrowse) so that she can easily find her own stuff without wading through mine.

If you can help figure out what is getting her stuck, that would help making it easier for her and others like her.

She can get to Pandora on the Squeezebox, but finding a song in our library using the remote is much more difficult for her. Finding it iTunes is very easy. It's not so much that she's stuck - she knows how to find her music already using iTunes. It seems like it should be simple to get it playing on the stereo since we have all of this equipment humming all over the house.

Songbird, the open source iTunes equivalent, just went 1.0. It has a very easy-to-use multi-platform interface. Could we get a Songbird plugin to control the Squeezebox? That would solve these problems too.

BlueWombat
2008-12-09, 22:00
I thought I saw an early version of Songbird showing some interaction with SqueezeCenter - this was over a year ago though. But it does makes me think something may be possible.

Siduhe
2008-12-10, 02:51
Or have a look at Moose which is a Windows native frontend for Squeezecenter. A number of people who find the web interface too slow use this as an alternative.

http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/

EyeRonik1
2008-12-10, 13:54
Or have a look at Moose which is a Windows native frontend for Squeezecenter. A number of people who find the web interface too slow use this as an alternative.

http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/

Yes, Moose would be better, but we're on Macs, except for the music server.

Thanks for all of your help - this is a great board.

MrSinatra
2008-12-10, 15:40
i'm not sure why plugins to apps like itunes and winamp aren't developed?

i mean, they make their money off of the hardware, not the software right? why pay so much to develop a standalone client?

i'm not saying SC doesn't have a place, its probably the only solution for syncing and other things.

but i think a LOT of people would like to use their software of choice to drive the slim hardware.

so plugin or device driver or whatever, it would be nice if something was available.

samwardill
2008-12-20, 11:29
I think what you need is an Apple Airport Express which will allow you via your WLAN to play your music collection using the iTunes interface. Just plug in some powered speakers into the Airport Express and you are away....
but it's basic.
But you can also easily use your iTunes created playlists via your SB3, the web interface is only really used to set up your settings/options and is then not normally used as your SB3 is the interface.
Or do what a lot of us do which is is to use a NAS box as the music server (often with a PC generated iTunes libarys etc.
Lots of options
Simon

Have you managed to get your PC generated iTunes playlists to work in Squeezecenter or on your Squeezebox (with QNAP)? I have the same config as you but the iTunes playlists all show as Empty

simonjedrake
2008-12-21, 07:45
Have you managed to get your PC generated iTunes playlists to work in Squeezecenter or on your Squeezebox (with QNAP)? I have the same config as you but the iTunes playlists all show as Empty

Yes, no problem with using iTunes generated playlists on SC. I just do an auto sideways update/copy of my "iTunes" files & libary every evening with a SC auto recsan every day @ 4am which works 100% perfect.
I think your problem could be using the wrong Qnap folders, try the below on your SC setup options:-
Music Folders - /Qmultimedia/music/iTunes/iTunes Music
Playlist Folders - /Qmultimedia/music/iTunes - into which I copy the .xml

It's just a case of making sure you maintain the same file folder structure that you have on your PC as you have on your Qnap.
Simon