PDA

View Full Version : Problem with external Dac and SB outputs always on - please help!

jwo
2008-10-10, 10:06
Hello.

I have an extarnal Harmony Design ( Swedish )Dac.

It sounds lovely. But I have a problem.

My Dac has a protection curcuit that turns the Dac into standby-mode if it doesnt gets an in-signal from my Squeezebox.
When it goes into standy-mode it makes an anoying clicking sound that I dont like.

So if I listen to a whole cd-album. Between all songs when theres a small gap of silence etween tracks the Dac goes into standby-mode and makes a small "clicking" sound.

How can I avoid this?

How can I make all tracks beeing played more smoothly? Is it possible to make a seamless mix when for example track 2 ends and track 3 starts?

I have choosen OUTPUTS ALWAYS ON. And CROSSFADING ACTIVATED with a delay of 6 secs.

Dont know how to solv this problem :(

Anyone?

PLEASE HELP!

thanx!

/Jon, Stockholm

Themis
2008-10-10, 13:49
Perhaps "Audio startup time" should be set to zero ? (on the same panel as the settings of crossfading)

jwo
2008-10-11, 01:28
Nope, still not working.

If 2 tracks are mixed together on an album this problem dont occur. Its when theres a gap of silence in the end of a track before the nextcomming track begins.

I want to have the SB giving a constant signal to the Dac EVEN IF THERES NO MUSIC on the track....

Anyone???

Phil Leigh
2008-10-11, 01:46
Hello.

I have an extarnal Harmony Design ( Swedish )Dac.

It sounds lovely. But I have a problem.

My Dac has a protection curcuit that turns the Dac into standby-mode if it doesnt gets an in-signal from my Squeezebox.
When it goes into standy-mode it makes an anoying clicking sound that I dont like.

So if I listen to a whole cd-album. Between all songs when theres a small gap of silence etween tracks the Dac goes into standby-mode and makes a small "clicking" sound.

How can I avoid this?

How can I make all tracks beeing played more smoothly? Is it possible to make a seamless mix when for example track 2 ends and track 3 starts?

I have choosen OUTPUTS ALWAYS ON. And CROSSFADING ACTIVATED with a delay of 6 secs.

Dont know how to solv this problem :(

Anyone?

PLEASE HELP!

thanx!

/Jon, Stockholm

Is the clicking sound throughthe amp/speakers or just a mechanical sound from within the DAC?

If the DAC uses relay muting you might hear a click when the relay activates.

Most DACS use fet muting (or none at all..)

The SB doesn't mute the digital signal between tracks and my DAC stays locked and unmuted at all times unless I disconnect the SB from it.

I suspect that this is an issue with the design of your DAC. Does it have an LED that indicates that the DAC has signal lock?

Phil Leigh
2008-10-11, 01:56
To be clear - the SB sends digital zeroes between tracks. Some DAC's will mute with digital zeroes over a period of time and some won't. Some will only mute when lock is lost - i.e. there is no digital signal at all.

You should contact Harmony Design to find out how their muting circuit is implemented. I can't tell from their web site.
Regards
Phil

jwo
2008-10-11, 23:58
If the DAC uses relay muting you might hear a click when the relay activates.

I suspect that this is an issue with the design of your DAC. Does it have an LED that indicates that the DAC has signal lock?

YES! THIS is the correct description of my problem.

The Dac has a led light that switches off and theres an internal clicking sound INSIDE the Dac.