PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Duet disapointment!

hammond
2008-10-10, 07:27
I must say I was hugely impressed with the duet the first days both after reading the reviews and using it myself.

but then things happened...

I had my family that visiting me and was looking forward to show them my duet and had spoken wodely about it to my technic interessted family members.

But sadely they left my convinced that this was unstable piece of music player and I could surely keep it for my self.
remember it is quite expensive.

It just doesnt work properly. If I restart the settings on the controller it last one, maybe 2 days of we are lucky, and then it just doesnt find my mp3 server. I need to restart the computer and reset the duet controller.
This is a MAJOR Flaw and MUST be repaired SOON!
I Have all the respect for people using time for this, but remember us customers that actually pay for the product...

at good will, this is juswt a beta product.

another thing, why is it a difference between squeezecenter and duet?

If I change settings in center it doesnt apeear in the Duet?
remeber, it is the Duet my wife actually need to use, not the squeezecenter!

I am wery sorry, this product is just what I was looking for and if it had worked properly, it is a bullseye for me and my wife.

but when we must reset the controller every day, then it is useless for my wife...

I have recommended this duet for a lot or friends who dont understand why I bought it. not always, but alot of times when I am trying to show them, I need to run down to the basement and reset my mp3 server, then reset my duet to just play some music!

is there any chance that there will be a update that make it work over several days?

sorry...

iPhone
2008-10-10, 08:18
I must say I was hugely impressed with the duet the first days both after reading the reviews and using it myself.

but then things happened...

I had my family that visiting me and was looking forward to show them my duet and had spoken wodely about it to my technic interessted family members.

But sadely they left my convinced that this was unstable piece of music player and I could surely keep it for my self.
remember it is quite expensive.

It just doesnt work properly. If I restart the settings on the controller it last one, maybe 2 days of we are lucky, and then it just doesnt find my mp3 server. I need to restart the computer and reset the duet controller.
I Have all the respect for people using time for this, but remember us customers that actually pay for the product...

at good will, this is juswt a beta product.

another thing, why is it a difference between squeezecenter and duet?

If I change settings in center it doesnt apeear in the Duet?
remeber, it is the Duet my wife actually need to use, not the squeezecenter!

I am wery sorry, this product is just what I was looking for and if it had worked properly, it is a bullseye for me and my wife.

but when we must reset the controller every day, then it is useless for my wife...

I have recommended this duet for a lot or friends who dont understand why I bought it. not always, but alot of times when I am trying to show them, I need to run down to the basement and reset my mp3 server, then reset my duet to just play some music!

is there any chance that there will be a update that make it work over several days?

sorry...

If you really want help, the Forum needs more information other then your whining. We need you to discribe your PC, OS, LAN, router, and WiFi. Are you using a Firewall or have Anti-Virus running.

Next have you bothered to call or E-mail Tech Support? Sure sounds like you haven't bothered. The Duet uses a network so the network must allow it to function. The issue could very well be your network and not the Controller. The issues you discribe at first glance sound like a DHCP issue. You could also have WiFi interference. There are any number of things that could cause this that are not the Controller or Receiver.

Well Well. Seems like somebody needs to look at home first before saying a production released product is a Beta! The Duet is certainly not a Beta product. Logitech/Slim Devices DOES NOT sell Beta units to the public!

Please give the Forum more information so somebody can help you enjoy your Duet or Call/E-mail Tech Support ASAP.

bhaagensen
2008-10-10, 08:31
Hey,

sorry to hear about all of your problems. It shouldn't, and isn't like that. Lots of people including myself run Duets with no problems at all. So while I understand your frustration and the need to vent, I do encourage you to post a little bit more constructive and be careful with claims that it is flawed, beta etc.

Have you contacted support?

If you want help solving your problems from the folks reading these forums you need to provide more specific information about your setup. (The forums are NOT an official support source, but lots of knowledgable and helpful people read and post)

E.g. what kind of computer are you running SqueezeCenter on, which operating system, which software versions are you using, which SqueezeCenter version, which router or wireless AP do you have, what does your network look like/consist of? etc. Also other information such as firewalls, anti-virus programs running can be useful. You could also check out the log files, available from Settings -> Status. Anything suspicious in those?

The only advice I can give at this point is that you upgrade to the latest version of SqueezeCenter which I believe is 7.2. Many bugs has been fixed since the initial releases.

Regards

autopilot
2008-10-10, 09:46
^ditto - has it not occurred to you that the problem might be with you PC or network (which in most cases it is)?

So now you have got that off your chest, and yes computers are frustrating at times, some more info might be a good idea - unless you plan to give up at the first hurdle?

What flaw? I have never had this problem and it could be a number of things, most likely the flaw is in your setup.

mvalera
2008-10-10, 10:37
Please contact support, they are best equipped to help you with your issues:

http://slimdevices.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/slimdevices.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Mike

hammond
2008-10-10, 10:38
thank you for replying.

I must first say I apologize, and don't under any cirkumstances want to whine and be a "typical" bad customer.

second, it must be alowed to say what someone feels about a product.

third: I know I might have a problem elsewhere in my system, and I might know that it maybe not the duets fault. I just meet the wall, and got tired of not knowing how to repair my problem.

And by the way, I havent called customer help, because I have misjudged and thought this was the only help there was....
I didnt know there was a customer help to call. I live in Norway.

Most of all: I really want to get this product to work, so is that possible I would love to be a happy customer.
I would love to recommend this product to my friends.

I would like to provide some facts about my set
I will try to do that tomorrow.

thanks.

hammond
2008-10-10, 10:42
also:

I want to give my thanks to all who uses spare time to answer dorks like me on forums. I have all respect and will rectanly try to be more informative and less whining in my future.

Tommy.

Siduhe
2008-10-10, 11:25
First off, what you are experiencing is not normal - it may be an issue with your setup or configuration, but it also may be a hardware problem and entirely outside your control. Unsurprisingly, there have been a couple of defective controllers and receivers. Most important thing is to try and identify the cause. As others have said, Support are best placed to help but it isn't always the fastest method - I would email rather than call if you are in Norway!

I would make sure you have the latest Squeezecenter software for your server and the Duet Controller firmware is also updated (have you tried a manual update of the firmware?). Let us know what version of the software and what firmware you are running, and also check that your Duet Receiver and your Controller have separate IP addresses which do not conflict with anything else on your network. Also, does your server use Wake On Lan at all? And what are the Power Management Settings and average signal for the Controller?

As for venting on these forums, we've all been there and shared the frustration. ;-) Personally, I think some of the replies you received were a bit on the harsh side, but there have been a few threads recently along similar lines where people weren't prepared to discuss or explain their problems and that can be pretty frustrating.

Let us know how you get on and I'm sure people will chip in to help out if they can.

iPhone
2008-10-10, 14:13
also:

I want to give my thanks to all who uses spare time to answer dorks like me on forums. I have all respect and will rectanly try to be more informative and less whining in my future.

Tommy.

Hey Tommy, Just because you're having some issues doesn't make you a Dork. Asking for help doesn't make anybody a Dork either. Everybody has problems from time to time. It is how we ask for help that makes all the difference in the world. If the product is called a piece of junk when others know it not to be and are not having problems with it, it then seems that the person complaining is just whining to be whining. It can also look like they are just blaming the product and not looking for the real problem.

Your problem really sounds like something has changed in your network. But again none of the Forum Members can even start to help you without the information that members are asked for repeatedly. Nobody is asking for specifics like IP addresses, nobody is trying to break into your PC. But what is needed is specific information that has to do with your setup.

Type of PC, OS, Firewall, Anti-Virus, Current verion of SC, what router you have, DHCP or Static IPs, and the like. Simply changing a firewall setting or Anti-virus setting can disable the Duet from working properly.

As Mike said, the quick thing to do is E-mail Tech support. And they are going to be asking for the same things we have asked for here in the Forum. Help is available, but the Forum needs feedback and answers to the questions asked to help fix your issue and get you and your wife back to just listening to the music.

MeSue
2008-10-10, 14:53
It would be helpful to have a sticky post that lists all the information that is needed when someone is seeking help. Maybe be it could be appended to the existing sticky titled "Contacting support for Help!"

I run a software forum, so I know a lot of people won't read it or see it, but at least there is something to point people to when they ask for help and don't provide the necessary information.

funkstar
2008-10-10, 15:25
I think that's a good idea Sue. Perhaps something in the welcome message when a new user signs up as well.

There is a saying on forums that the easiest way of hiding information is to make it is sticky, so obviously that isn't the ultimate answer, but it is a start :)

I have to say though Tommy, as far as rants/whining goes, you are very polite about it :)