PDA

View Full Version : Boom won't connect with WPA but Duet does

StuartC
2008-10-10, 06:55
I'm setting up my new Boom and it won't connect to my wireless with WPA enabled but I also have a Duet which works fine. I've tried changing the passphrase to something really basic to make sure there's not odd characters but it still doesn't work. Disabling WPA allows it to connect but obviosuly I don't want to do that. Any ideas?

fcm4711
2008-10-10, 15:29
Hi Stuart

When you say Duet, do you mean SBC and SBR are both connected wireless to your router using WPA?

SBR and SBB both use the same wireless card and same code in firmware so I am really surprised that your SBR would, but SBB wouldn't connect with WPA.

I first thought you might have enabled MAC address check on your router, but then SBB wouldn't connect w/o encryption either.

Have you tried to factory reset SBB?

Felix

Siduhe
2008-10-10, 15:59
Appreciate you've double checked the WPA password, but I've been caught out by an SB3 adding a trailing space when I clicked right to enter the password. May be worth checking.

Also, try rebooting the router and adding the Boom into the network before anything else connects to rule out an IP conflict.

mvalera
2008-10-10, 16:25
Change your password to something else and try it, and switch to WPA2&AES encryption while you are at it.

WPA with tkip is as unsecure as WEP.

Mike

Siduhe
2008-10-10, 16:50
That's a very good call:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=290172&highlight=wpa+aes#post290172

StuartC
2008-10-11, 02:00
Hi Stuart

When you say Duet, do you mean SBC and SBR are both connected wireless to your router using WPA?

SBR and SBB both use the same wireless card and same code in firmware so I am really surprised that your SBR would, but SBB wouldn't connect with WPA.

I first thought you might have enabled MAC address check on your router, but then SBB wouldn't connect w/o encryption either.

Have you tried to factory reset SBB?

Felix

Yes both SBC and SBR connected fine with WPA. I don't have MAC filtering on and I've done a factory reset a few times!

I'm able to connect the Boom with either no encryption or WEP 128 but that's only a short-term fix.

@Siduhe I enter the passphrase exactly as it is on my access point and then after the last character I get a right arrow, pressing the wheel again finishes the entry, is that correct?

@mvalera I'm not sure I can do that, I'm using a rather old 3Com OfficeConnect access point and for WPA it just gives me Manual Pre-Shared Key or Pre-Shared Passphrase as encryption options

I'll carry on fiddling!

mvalera
2008-10-13, 09:32
Time to update your wireless router.

WPA&TKIP is as useless as WEP. A 10 year old script kiddie could break it in minutes.

WPA2 with AES encryption (do not use wpa2 and TKIP as that is as bad a WPA) is the only semi-secure wireless encryption method.

If all your router can do is WEP or WPA you might as well just run it open.

Mike

mvalera
2008-10-13, 15:12
So I believe I misspoke about WPA being as bad as WEP... it's not.

But you should use AES encryption over TKIP if possible. Depending on your router AES may not be supported in WPA, but AES support is a requirement for WPA2 so any WPA2 router will have it.

Mike

Siduhe
2008-10-14, 01:53
Isn't the whole WPA-AES vs WPA-TKIP a bit of a red herring in respect of the original problem, as the Duet will connect to the network but the Boom won't?

You would have thought that has to either be a problem with the password or a problem with the Boom wireless card itself (but if the Boom connects via WEP128, then it seems unlikely to be a hardware/software issue).

Stuart, you mention pressing the wheel - what happens if you use the remote to enter password and press right click to finish off rather than the wheel? Same problem?

MeSue
2008-10-14, 08:56
For the record, I use WPA-TKIP on my network and it works fine with both of my Booms. I'm pretty sure that WPA-TKIP is the best I can use and still be compatible with what my PDA supports.

mvalera
2008-10-14, 09:49
The reason I'm recommending AES over TKIP is that AES causes much less of a performance penalty when using wireless encryption on N routers.

Just browsing some of the reviews on www.smallnetbuilder.com shows that TKIP can cause as much as a 70-80% performance hit on wireless throughput, while AES only causes a 20-30% hit on the same routers.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30588/96/1/3/
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30087/96/1/7/
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/28732/96/1/7/

If you don't have an N router than it doesn't look like the encryption method matters much.

Mike

makingmark
2008-10-15, 18:20
...but true to what others had suggested, it wsa in fact that I had used the wrong password.

What happened is, I keep my password saved in Roboform, but had changed it, and forgot to write the new password down.

So my other Slimboxen worked fine because they were using the correct password, not because there was a problem with the Boom.

And I use WPA.

EFP
2008-11-06, 16:40
http://www.itworld.com/security/57285/once-thought-safe-wpa-wi-fi-encryption-cracked

StuartC
2008-11-07, 02:46
I haven't had chance to fiddle lately to see if I can resolve my original issue, I'm still running on WEP but clearly need to do something. I see that WPA has been cracked, partially anyway so I'm now wondering what to do. I guess I should invest in a new wireless router/dsl gateway but which one? Any suggestions about which works best with Squeezebox kit?

Mark Lanctot
2008-11-13, 09:07
I haven't had chance to fiddle lately to see if I can resolve my original issue, I'm still running on WEP but clearly need to do something. I see that WPA has been cracked, partially anyway so I'm now wondering what to do. I guess I should invest in a new wireless router/dsl gateway but which one? Any suggestions about which works best with Squeezebox kit?

Linksys WRT54GL.

Rock-solid, supports WPA2/AES, can run third-party firmware that has lots of additional features.

Doesn't have fancy MIMO or draft 802.11n but it works well with Logitech players.

mvalera
2008-11-13, 13:31
http://www.itworld.com/security/57285/once-thought-safe-wpa-wi-fi-encryption-cracked

Oh man that's what I was trying to find when I said TKIP was unsafe. I had read something similar months ago but couldn't find it after my post.

Maybe I was just being prescient. :P

Mike

dean
2008-11-13, 15:07
This isn't really a "crack" per se, the keys aren't revealed, and
hasn't been seen in the wild yet, but does support the idea that WPA2
is more secure than WPA1.

Both are still SIGNIFICANTLY more secure than WEP, which offers no
security against somebody with the right tool to get on your network.

Let's be careful out there, folks.

-dean

CatBus
2008-11-13, 17:25
Oh man that's what I was trying to find when I said TKIP was unsafe. I had read something similar months ago but couldn't find it after my post.

Maybe I was just being prescient. :P

Mike

No I remember (probably sharing your memory) that pretty much the moment TKIP arrived on the scene all the security guys raised an eyebrow (or laughed). Basically they devised a new security scheme without the typical peer review process, which happens all the time but usually the embarrassing details aren't so public. The consensus among the security folks was that there was pretty much zero chance TKIP did not contain some easily exploitable weakness. It was just a matter of time before it was found.