PDA

View Full Version : Way to edit/create profile for not-connected players

ymilner
2008-10-10, 02:08
Hello,

This might have been discussed a long time ago.
I would like to have a way to set up a player (or modify settings for a player) which currently is not connected to my squeezeserver.
In my situation I have a number of players (softsqueezes) at my friends/relatives, which they use from time to time. I would like to be able to create/edit the settings for those players. I can not do it when they are actually connected, due to time zone difference.
As an example, when I wanted to give my friend in the US access to my Squeezeserver (I live in the EU), I had to syncronize with him about specific time (not-convenient for both of us), catch his player live, and then change the bit-rate limiting so he could actually stream something.
On the other hand, I have a number of old player instances in my prefs file which I don't use, and I do not want to have them there.
So I suppose what I'm after is a nice GUI page that allows you to see all the players configured with their settings, modify those settings, create new players and delete existing players.
I wonder what other people think about this requirement. Shall it be filed as a feature request? Or maybe it's already in the pipeline?

funkstar
2008-10-10, 02:58
Sounds good. This could probably be done in a plugin.... I look forward to see what you come up with :P

(kidding)

Mark Lanctot
2008-10-10, 06:22
I'm pretty sure this is all in a text prefs file somewhere.

Although it's not a GUI, it's not hard to figure out what the settings do because they're in plain English and mostly self-explanatory. Like "repeat=off" or something.

peterw
2008-10-10, 09:19
FWIW, my SettingsManager plugin allows you to save collections of per-player settings, copy them to other players, and save "local default" and "web default" collections of per-player settings, which could help here. For instance, you could tweak the settings (including bandwidth/bitrate limiting) for a local softsqueeze player, save those settings as the Local Default settings, and anytime your SC7 sees a new Softsqueeze "hardware"/SlimProto player (vs. HTTP-only /stream.mp3 client), it would apply those settings. Do the same for a local WinAmp client & the Web Default settings collection, and any new outsider should inherit pretty usable settings. Anybody whose player was already recognized and had access to your web UI could manually apply the default settings to their player.

plugin info: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SettingsManager.html
demo of the web UI: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/playlog-demo/control.html

Mark, you're rather optimistic! Between numeric setting values, text settings where it isn't obvious what the choices are, and interdependencies between settings, you should be careful editing prefs files or issuing prefset CLI commands! (That's why SettingsManager only provides a means for copying settings, not changing them to arbitrary values.)

Mark Lanctot
2008-10-10, 10:52
Mark, you're rather optimistic! Between numeric setting values, text settings where it isn't obvious what the choices are, and interdependencies between settings, you should be careful editing prefs files or issuing prefset CLI commands!

Well I suppose you should backup the original prefs file in case something goes horribly wrong :-) but in my experience it's not that bad...

ymilner
2008-10-11, 02:45
FWIW, my SettingsManager plugin allows you to save collections of per-player settings, ...

Didn't know about your plugin, sorry. I will look into it!