PDA

View Full Version : Help with blackberry

shawn02139
2008-10-09, 21:26
(Please be gentle, I've spent over an hour searching this forum, so apologize if the answer is already posted.)

I have a squeezebox duet, and my desktop computer is running slimserver just fine. The remote works, as does logging into http://shuttle:9000/handheld from a laptop on my wireless network.

But I cant get my blackberry to connect to http://shuttle:9000/handheld

I get an "HTTP Error 400: Bad Request" from my blackberry. The server could not understand the page request, or was unable to process it for some reason. Please try loading a different page."

Can anyone shed light on this? I can send/receive email and go to 'normal' webpages on the blackberry. (I've disabled the phone network, and am using only wifi connected to my network for this)...

Thank you kindly,
Shawn

mherger
2008-10-10, 00:41
> I get an "HTTP Error 400: Bad Request" from my blackberry. The server
> could not understand the page request, or was unable to process it for
> some reason. Please try loading a different page."

I'm not familiar with the Blackberry. But it's probably using a proxy
server? Did you try using the shuttle's IP address instead of its name?
I'm not sure this error message comes from SC, but rather from somewhere
else.

Michael

mrfantasy
2008-10-10, 06:30
Make sure you're using the "WiFi Browser" to get to SqueezeCenter. If you use the "Internet Browser" you'll be going through either your BES or RIM's gateway servers, and they won't understand your local network. You can either change the default browser in the Browser app, or create a bookmark and fix it to the WiFi Browser.

funkstar
2008-10-10, 06:46
Further to mrfantasy's reply, if you do want to connect externally over your BBs mobile connection then you will need your internet facing IP address (can be found in your router, probably under WAN settings or something) and you need to map Port 9000 to the IP of your server internally.

shawn02139
2008-10-12, 14:29
Thanks for the suggestions, i finally did get it to work (though took four different tries). I'll put this up in the wiki page for future users.

Two questions:
a) Why do i always get a 'script running' message and delay when using the bberry interface for /handheld? I would have thought that a handheld skin would not use scripts, to keep things zippy...

b) I don't quite understand funkstar's comment. I guess a disadvantage of using my curve as squeezebox controller is that i have to switch back and forth between Wifi and BBerry browser in the options menu (not a big deal). Is there a way to tell bberry to specifically use the wifi browser for the 192. address, and to use the bbery browser for everythign else?
Shawn

mherger
2008-10-13, 00:04
> a) Why do i always get a 'script running' message and delay when using
> the bberry interface for /handheld? I would have thought that a
> handheld skin would not use scripts, to keep things zippy...

Hmm... there's almost no JS involved in Handheld (imho only for the player selector). What's the exact message?

--

Michael

jmstipe
2008-11-08, 18:12
I hope someone can clarify the exact process required to map your PDA/Blackberry to your Server via the Internet.

I have a Blackberry without Wifi connectivity and would still like to use it to control my SB3. I've tried opening up a browser and entering the address of "my-ip-address/handheld" and the page 'timed-out' and didn't work. Help is appreciated!

funkstar
2008-11-08, 21:36
This page in the Wiki should help you.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/ConnectingRemotely

Also, if the IP address you have tried to access remotely starts with 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x then that is the wrong IP address. Those two blocks of addresses are reserved for private networks. Thats just the internal IP for the PC, not the one that is publicly accessable by a remote device.

Browny
2008-11-09, 06:02
I hope someone can clarify the exact process required to map your PDA/Blackberry to your Server via the Internet.

I have a Blackberry without Wifi connectivity and would still like to use it to control my SB3. I've tried opening up a browser and entering the address of "my-ip-address/handheld" and the page 'timed-out' and didn't work. Help is appreciated!

If your BlackBerry is not a WiFi device then you would need to open up your server to the Internet to allow the BB to access the page. There are many previous discussions on how wise this is - my view is its not worth it.

I have the Bold and even on WiFi it makes for a pretty clunky controller using the browser. Now if someone were to build a native BlackBerry application for Squeezecenter that would be VERY cool (especially on the new Storm).

Zaragon
2008-11-09, 06:07
I've got an older blackberry which I seem to recall used to give a similar message to Script Running when it was processing the CSS (style sheet). Might not still be true and i haven't really noticed it for a while.

thurstongarden
2009-06-10, 13:47
Well, I am gobsmacked. It took some fiddling, but here we are!

KelloggKid
2009-06-10, 16:21
.....Now if someone were to build a native BlackBerry application for Squeezecenter that would be VERY cool (especially on the new Storm).

Amen! I'd give anything (within reason of course) for something like iPeng that would run on my Bold. I once made some comment to that effect over on Crackberry and got slapped around by some hot-shot developer. Apparently the Blackberry isn't all that great of a platform for app development.

heavyonwire
2009-07-06, 13:14
Hello,

I was able to connect my Blackberry Bold with the SqueezeCebter like described here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Blackberry

But first of all it is slow and not much convenient/slow and secondly I`m wondering if there might be a nice and better operating program for the BB??? Does anyone have some input for me?

strawnj
2009-10-13, 06:27
I'd pay someone in a heartbeat to develop a BB app.

dennis55
2009-10-14, 06:32
Thurston Garden,excuse my ignorance but why do you need to duplicate what your Duet Controller is already doing?.....
what's your audio set up now?

dennis

Well, I am gobsmacked. It took some fiddling, but here we are!

thurstongarden
2009-10-14, 07:12
Dennis - purely to see if I could get it to work. I am a fiddler....

I have never used my BB to work SC since taking that photo.

dave_p
2010-01-10, 21:56
I wanted to say thanks, once again, to the forum for helping me sort this out. On my Bold 9000 (4.6 on Rogers network in Canada) the correct browser is "Hotspot Browser" as there is no "Wi-fi Browser" option. Setting the bookmark to default to this works very well (seems I now have a use for the BB browser; though wish I could just do it with Bolt).

I've amended slightly the text on the wiki for Blackberry - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Blackberry - and included a link to this thread. No doubt the page needs a proper re-write from someone who understands it better than I, but at least this should get the ball rolling.

Cheers,

David

bphilp
2011-03-03, 12:14
In the Server settings under "Interface" then under "Web Interface" pick "Light" and the Blackberry UI is MUCH easier to use. Still needs improvements but beats the thick GUI of the "Default" interface.