PDA

View Full Version : Volume Granularity

nowork
2008-10-09, 20:09
New Squeezebox Boom owner. Like it. It is on a shelf on a wall behind me as work on my computer (I can't see its screen or use the IR remote without turning around)

I use squeezenetwork to control my SBB.

First suggested improvement related to "volume granularity."

When I (remote) control my SBB via squeezenetwork, the Volume has 11 steps. On the SBB itself there seem to be 100 steps. The problem - using squeezenetwork, #2 is too soft and #3 is too loud. Using the IR remote or knob on the SBB I can get a perfect volume, but I have to turn around to adjust it.

I tried fiddling with the "audio preamp volume control" setting, but there seemed to be no effect.

My suggestion - change the way the squeezenetwork volume works

1) make the scale more logarithmic, small volume changes at the low end, larger at the high end.

or

2) add more numbers, maybe 20 or 50 so there is finer adjustment available.

Thanks,

SuperQ
2008-10-09, 22:26
The web volume control granularity is on their top 10 feature requests last I remember. Some of us like the 11 steps, mostly for the "goes to eleven" joke.

Hopefully they come up with a compromise that keeps the joke, but allows finer adjustments. :-)

MrC
2008-10-09, 23:03
See also: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8763

"Theirs goes to 11" was funny in the mid '80s, and good for a chuckle in the 90's, but is perhaps so very tired now.

funkstar
2008-10-10, 02:32
The web volume control granularity is on their top 10 feature requests last I remember. Some of us like the 11 steps, mostly for the "goes to eleven" joke.

Hopefully they come up with a compromise that keeps the joke, but allows finer adjustments. :-)
How about retain the 1 to 11 idea, but allow for a decimal place. Problem sorted :)

androidtopp
2008-10-10, 03:49
I personally love the "goes to 11," on the webUI, but that's only becuase I don't use it. I can see how it would be annoying if you did have to.

Maybe somewhere there's a mapping of what the 1 to 11 notches correspond to on the 1 to 100 scale? Can those be adjusted to suit your preferences, as a quick fix?

MeSue
2008-10-10, 07:40
When I (remote) control my SBB via squeezenetwork, the Volume has 11 steps. On the SBB itself there seem to be 100 steps. The problem - using squeezenetwork, #2 is too soft and #3 is too loud. Using the IR remote or knob on the SBB I can get a perfect volume, but I have to turn around to adjust it.

Do you really need to turn around to adjust volume? It seems to me that it only requires your ears and not your eyes. And when I use the Boom remote, I have been able to aim it pretty much anywhere in the room and the signal will still reach the Boom. Even if you can't bounce the signal, you should be able to aim it that direction and adjust volume by ear without turning around.

make the scale more logarithmic, small volume changes at the low end, larger at the high end.

When we were beta testing, this is exactly what I remember them saying it does. Not sure if that is the same through SqueezeNetwork and SqueezeCenter, but I don't see why it would be different.

I find the volume adjustment very good for both bedroom and outdoor use--two extremes of the volume levels--but I never adjust it via the Web UI. More levels on the Web UI for those who use it would be good, for sure.

eganders
2009-11-06, 12:08
As has been mentioned before - please sign up and vote for this bug in Bugzilla (where the software coder's live). These forums, while great for complaining, don't have the impact that your vote in Bugzilla does.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8763