PDA

View Full Version : How to maintain linux/nas compatible playlists from a windows machine?

dcote
2008-10-09, 04:44
ok, after spending the last hour or so searching and finding tons of people with the same problem but no conclusive solution, i will just post and hope for the best.

this is my setup:
-> qnap TS409 running SSOTS
-> playlists have been modified by search and replace to be linux/qnap compatible
-> rest of my network is windows

how can a maintain/edit/modify those dang linux-compatible playlists from my windows box?

the odd thing is, there must be zillions of people out there with a similar setup - so how do you guys do it?

thanks so much in advance - i am really desparate! i have new music which needs to be included! :-)

dominique

ps. i just found this: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6447
this would fix ALL of my griefs instantaneously! so i voted. ;-)

aubuti
2008-10-09, 07:04
Re the problem you mentioned in the enhancement request (playlists converted to linux names not working in Windows) a simple workaround is to save the linux version under a different name on the QNAP, or better yet, in a different folder. So you'll have a Win-compatible set of playlists and a linux-compatible set of playlists. Admittedly, keeping those in sync is likely to be a pain, but it does address the specific problem you mention until a more elegant solution comes along.

For example, most of the time I run SC on my LinkStation NAS, but occasionally I run SC on my laptop instead, still using the library on the NAS. I simply point SC to different folders for playlists and it works fine.

If you learn some basics of 'sed' (stream editor) it is easy to set up a little batch file/script to help automate the conversion. sed is freely available for both Windows and linux.